Best choice? (Brainwavz ProAlpha / Brainwavz M1 / Brainwavz M2 + Fiio E5)
Jan 18, 2011 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

m4xc4v413r4

New Head-Fier
big edit:. read 4th post

Hey,

First of, i would like to say I'm new to the forum and have been reading it for the last couple of days to try and make my choice, but even after all the reviews and opinions i still have some doubts i think you guys could help me with.

For some time now i wanted to buy some nice new headphones, reason being all the earphones i have (all ear-buds) hurt my ears a lot after only a couple of hours of use (I'm talking about physical pain on the outer ear or cartilage and not pain in the eardrums from loud noise).

The thing is that after searching for some nice, possibly closed, headphones i came to a stop simply because i don't want to pay so much money on headphones.... not that i wouldn't like to or don't think they're not worth it, but i just don't use them enough for it.

After getting to this conclusion i decided to look for the other kind of earphones and that's how i discovered this forum (thank God xD ).

And i came into the conclusion that for the limited amount of money i want to spend, these options would probably be the best ones.

(prices and all that stuff is from mp4nation)

Brainwavz ProAlpha      - €29,75
Brainwavz M1              - €29,75

(I'm not sure if i can apply the $5 coupon on these two, they say "Coupon $5 off $50".... don't really understand what that means)

Now, by the reviews I've seen, the ProAlpha and the M1 are pretty similar but one tends more for Rock/Electronic and the other for Classical/Jazz (this was from a review here on the forum, I'll link later), the thing is, i listen to a lot of music types, mostly everything from Classical to Rock to Black Metal or Electro to Psy Trance.

I do although have favorites and the ones i usually listen to the most. (1- listen to more, 5- listen to less)

1 - Dream Theater, Jeff Loomis, Buckethead, Haggard, Marillion, Yngwie Malmsteen, Queen, Two Steps From Hell... (more instrumental)

2 - Korn, Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth and Arch Enemy (heavier)

3 - PsyTrance in general

4 - Classical

5 - Pop and all that mainstream MTV stuff

I do have a good ear, i am a musician (not professionally) and had music classes from the age of 5 to about 18 (classical piano as main instrument), I'm not going to say i have perfect pitch but it has to be pretty good for me to finish music school.

This is probably going to influence the choice towards detailed and accurate sound... !? (not that i'm expecting anything out of the ordinary at these prices)

As I said before, i don't use headphones/earphones a lot, mostly i use speakers, some average Creative 5.1's on the PC or if i REALLY want to listen to some music and I'm at home i just go to my Technics setup with full sized speakers.

All this being said, which ones would you guys recommend? ProAlpha or M1?

If you have some other models you would recommend, please do... I'm here because i want your opinion :)

BTW, i included the M2 on the title because they (at mp4nation) are doing that "Brainwavz M2 + Fiio E5 - €44,81" and i thought you guys could tell me if it's really worth the extra money or if i should save my money and go for one of the other two.

To finish of, just want to say i'm sorry for the giant wall of text xD

And thanks in advance for the replies.

Edit:. forgot something.... most of the use will be done for music on the computer or ipod, rarely used to watch movies but is a possibility.

Jan 19, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #3 of 33
I am not an experienced member but i have the brainwavz M1. I will also have the pro alpha in some days since i won one pair from Mp4nation's great contests! I was in the same dilemma as you are.
Keep in mind that M1 are a bit smaller but dont have strain reliefs near the earphones. I didnt mind because i have faith to the 1 year warranty.
I must say that i am completely satisfied with my M1 and i tell you that you cant go wrong. The sound is a lot better than all iems you buy from local stores for same price. I cant find a specific disadvantage. The sound is a bit thick but that is the same for all brainwavz and not necessary a but thing.
BUT its seams that when i pair it with my cowon J3 although its pefrect ithe bass doesnt go as low as when i pair it with my computer. Maybe because they dont get enough power.
That is the only reason i suggest you to go for the Pro alphas.
I believe you wont be disappointed with any of them.

Jan 21, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #4 of 33
Thanks for your insight.

I've been reading some more stuff about headphones in general and i always seem to find something about headphones being cheaper than earphones of the same quality..... so i was like.. "w00t".

I don't know if they're talking about open or closed headphones or whatever... but if that's true and since my original idea was to get headphones i was wondering if you guys then could help me choose some good ones. Same things i said on the original post apply obviously, and since i don't mind the size, i would rather have better quality, better isolation, etc..

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.

btw, i don't mind going a bit higher than €30 if it means i get a better bang for the buck :)

Jan 21, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #7 of 33
the M2's don't need an amp at all. even my weak smartphone powers them to ridiculously loud levels. they are extremely sensitive. i have never heard any other brainwavz besides the M2, so i cant compare them.

Jan 22, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #10 of 33
The M2s are the better iem, but the M1 is great value and for the price imo the best in its price range of the iems i have tried.
HOWEVER the M2 has a larger metal body and you may find it rubs on your ear unlike the M1.

Jan 22, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #12 of 33
Don't worry it will be worth the wait.  I bought a pair from AMP3 and am very happy with them, I listen to the same music types as you.  I must say thanks to Joker and Mark2410 for their extensive reviews, has been most useful and informative.  I'm probably going to get a pair of Xears as well to compare. 

Jan 22, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #13 of 33

Quote:
iems isolate better than headphones from their nature.

ok, i actually thought closed headphones isolated better :)

Quote:
I'd get the M1s from your music, if you like bass your going to miss it.
The ProAlphas cost 25 pounds here:  http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/Headphones.6/Brainwavz.454/BRAINWAVZ-PROALPHA/Brainwavz_ProAlpha_IEM_Headphones.4825.html

It's cheaper for me from mp4nation because of the currency and the shipping.

Quote:
the M2's don't need an amp at all. even my weak smartphone powers them to ridiculously loud levels. they are extremely sensitive. i have never heard any other brainwavz besides the M2, so i cant compare them.

It's not that i think they need an amp but they (at mp4nation) are giving the e5 amp for free if you buy the m2's.

Jan 22, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #14 of 33

Quote:
Darn, I feel a little bad now!

I ordered the ProAlpha's + Free Fiio E5 from MP4Nation 10 days ago for £26 and still haven't got them. Now the prices in the UK have dropped and I could have had them days ago! I should feel a bit silly having a smack of buyers remorse.

I missed that ProAlpha's + Free Fiio E5 deal... i only found out about the site a couple of day's after that deal.... if i've seen it in time i would have bought that one for sure :frowning2:

Jan 23, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #15 of 33
It's an ideal deal but having ordered on the 11th and shipped on the 12th, my parcel has only just left Hong Kong on the 23rd.

I'd have probably picked up the ProAlphas or M2's for those prices showing on AdvancedMP3 if they had been like that when I placed my order.

Quote:
I missed that ProAlpha's + Free Fiio E5 deal... i only found out about the site a couple of day's after that deal.... if i've seen it in time i would have bought that one for sure :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back