Best Cheapo computer Speakers under 90 dollars?
Feb 14, 2008 at 6:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

xxhotchikxx

Head-Fier
Will be using this on the Macbook (great headphone out source) for movies and music. My spending limit would be around 90 dollars the cheaper the better (in college and a high matinence gf lol)

Was thinking about the

JBL Creature II for $40
Harmon Kadon Soundsticks II?-$90-100
Sony SS-B1000 5.25" Bookshelf Speakers for $50
M-Audio StudioPro 3 Desktop Audio Monitors for $90
id like the Klipsch ProMedia but i heard the speaker channels go out...

Is there anything else i should consider? I dont care for reference types i care more for good mids and good enough bass for movies

I used to have logitechs z-2200 and they were too bassy and the left channel blew out after a year so no logitechs.

Feb 14, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #2 of 12
Altec Lansing MX5021 are pretty good choice for music/movies ~100

If u want to step it up to ~150 -200, Alot of people recommend
Alesis MK2
or Swans M200
or M-audio ????
but the last three are monitors so no sub =(

Feb 14, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #3 of 12
Not really computer speakers, but I use Accurian HPL Amplified Speaker System, model 40-1462, modified to accept RCA or mini inputs. Got them at Radio Shack for $30 USD.

pRS1R-2266117reg.jpg

Feb 14, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #4 of 12
The JBL Creatures sound like ass, avoid those and the Sony if you actually care about sound. I would avoid the Soundsticks as well because the subwoofers that come bundled with those kind of PC speakers are so indecent you're better off without them. I haven't heard the M-Audio StudioPro but I've heard great things about them, especially in terms of price-performance ratio. Go with M-Audio if fidelity is important to you; you won't get as much bass obviously, but with monitors you could quality over quantity.

Feb 14, 2008 at 10:48 AM Post #5 of 12
These are serious speakers. They were sold by Acoustic Image as Powered Partner 570, and now are sold under the Advent brand. They've been around for a long time and there seems to be quite a reasonable supply of used ones. I just bought a pair off of Craigslist for $10 maybe 3 weeks ago.

They're largish, and very heavy. They're also loud and sound excellent, probably better than almost anything you can buy today that's called a "computer speaker". And they have simple, effective tone controls.

There's one on eBay right now, but it's only a single one. Still, a little patience and you should be able to find a set for under $90.

Feb 14, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #6 of 12
These are excellent for the money:

Insignia® - 6-1/2" Bass-Reflex Bookshelf Speakers (Pair) - NS-B2111

They have a cult following, so Google around and you'll see a mess of mods and happy owners. I've listened to them in the store and thought they were quite good.

They're not amplified, but there are a couple of inexpensive options. One, the Sonic Impact T-Amp. That's another item with a cult following. They sound great. Or you can get one of the big old receivers from the 60s-80s for a song or free at a junk/thrift store. Those are usually well made and sound decent, if not really good. For an idea of what to look for, check here:

Tuner Information Center - Vintage Stereo Tuners

Feb 14, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by RageX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Altec Lansing MX5021 are pretty good choice for music/movies ~100

x2 on this. I've been using these for 2 years and with a little EQ I often take my headphones off to listen to these.

I found them for $99 CAD from Best Buy.

Feb 14, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #8 of 12
good ideas guys i was gonna drop 40 bucks on the JBL creatures today, Id really like to take it under 90 dollars cause Valentines Day eats your soul and your pocket book. Im trying to go as low as possible here .How are the boston acoustics BA-735 or the Klipsch Promedia Ultra 2.0 PC Speaker System? Oh and these are gonna be used for a dorm room and I sorta dont have space on my desk.

Feb 14, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #10 of 12
thats pretty good. my first pair of "good" speakers were promedia 2.1s. i had them for about 5 years with no problems with them. i bought them for 100 used back then because new was still 180 or so. so 70 bucks for those speakers is a great deal.

Mar 31, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not really computer speakers, but I use Accurian HPL Amplified Speaker System, model 40-1462, modified to accept RCA or mini inputs. Got them at Radio Shack for $30 USD.

pRS1R-2266117reg.jpg

What kind of mods did you have to do? Any soldering? Also, how's the sound? Thanks.

Mar 31, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are excellent for the money:

Insignia® - 6-1/2" Bass-Reflex Bookshelf Speakers (Pair) - NS-B2111

They have a cult following, so Google around and you'll see a mess of mods and happy owners. I've listened to them in the store and thought they were quite good.

They're not amplified, but there are a couple of inexpensive options. One, the Sonic Impact T-Amp. That's another item with a cult following. They sound great. Or you can get one of the big old receivers from the 60s-80s for a song or free at a junk/thrift store. Those are usually well made and sound decent, if not really good. For an idea of what to look for, check here:

Tuner Information Center - Vintage Stereo Tuners

I've seen and heard great things about the Insignias, but at like 80-90 bucks for just the speakers, and you still have to buy an amp, you're definitely going to be in the 100-150 range.

I'm really thinking about the M-Audio StudioPro 3's? Has anyone heard them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back