Best/Cheapest Hard Drive MP3 player?
May 3, 2003 at 3:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

benklop

Head-Fier
Ok...
So my Sony Mp3 Cd player has been stolen out of my backpack.
mad.gif
I'm looking to buy a hard drive player to replace it but money is a big concern. I've looked at the Ipods and they are SO nice but I just can't justify that kind of money on a music player.... yet.
very_evil_smiley.gif
I haven't seen the Zen yet, but I've heard that is excellent as well. The Rio Riot also interests me. It is 20gb and is available for ~170. This is pretty much the cheapest I have seen and I've heard the sound quality is excellent on it. Has anybody used either of these? Any suggestions?

May 3, 2003 at 6:20 PM Post #3 of 21
Until it moves, just keep in mind SonicBlue is selling the Rio (and GoVideo) biz line. Not sure how this will effect prices or warranty, etc. But something to consider.

This is pretty cheap!

Also look at the difference between the Creative Zen and Creative Jukebox, depending on output needs, portability, etc.

May 4, 2003 at 1:19 AM Post #5 of 21
HI,

the best price/performance hard-drive MP3 player is the Nomad Zen (or NJB3 if you don't mind the extra size). Don't go cheaper on an Archos or e.digital unit, they aren't nearly as polished.

Dell sells Zen for $250, but has sales all the time. They had it for $212 recently. The NJB3 is about the same price...

you can check out the details of all the best players at the website in my sig
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2003 at 2:04 AM Post #6 of 21
Well the Zen is surely better looking than the Jukebox 3 but what about features? Which has the edge? Somebody mentioned recording abilities in regards to the Jukebox 3. This isn't really a concern for me at all. Can you buy an extended warranty for the Zen? Is the battery replaceable after the included one no longer holds a charge? Thanks.

May 4, 2003 at 5:58 PM Post #7 of 21
it's weird, I bought the njb3 for its massive feature list, but I recently noticed that I have yet to record a single thing using my nomad. I never use EAX because it sounds like crap to me.

quick opinion on the two best portable cans for which player....
er4ps... go zen
ksc-35s... go ipod

May 4, 2003 at 8:15 PM Post #9 of 21
Not a big fan of CompUSA (as I used to work there) but the warranties on mp3 players rock. Make sure it's a REPLACEMENT plan, not a repair plan. With a replacement plan (also known as TAP- technology assurance program) you can basically do anything to it within the specified time period. It's basically an extension of the exchange period. You can bring it in with it "broken" and get your original money towards a new unit (ie. upgrade to bigger one).

Keep in mind that not all CompUSA's may do this. Make sure to ask first. Also, don't buy it without a discount. TAP earns any employee commission. If they are an official salesperson (or TSS in company speak) TAP will trigger the sale, and they earn money on the whole sale (without TAP they can only earn commission on particular items, not accessories etc). Just act hesitent to buy the warranty.

One last word. If you replace the unit, you use up your warranty, and have to repurchase it if you want it again. The good thing is that you don't have to wait for it to be repaired, and you can do all that other fun stuff. DISCLAMER: I MAY BE CRAZY, MAKE SURE TO ASK FIRST. also this might be insurance fraud. but I donno. my manager always encouraged it....

TA

ps. they don't protect against theft

May 4, 2003 at 8:32 PM Post #10 of 21
Eh... CompUSA's warranty program sounds exactly like what I want, but they are a hundred bucks more expensive than buying it from Dell on a deal, plus the cost of the warranty. By the time it breaks, I figure I will be able to buy a new one with the hundred and fifty bucks I saved.

May 6, 2003 at 11:27 PM Post #11 of 21
I need to make a quick decision now.
20gb Ipod (old style) - 280
20gb Creative Zen - 215

There is still a price difference but... well alot of people have been telling me how wonderful the Ipod is and this is by far the best deal I have seen on it. I need to make the decision by the end of the day. ANYBODY???

May 7, 2003 at 1:02 AM Post #13 of 21
Go with the iPod. I don't think you'll be able to find that good of a price on a 20 gB iPod anywhere else. You said before that price was one of your only concerns with buying the iPod. I have been craving an iPod ever since my friend let me borrow his over spring break, it's just a dream to use. I finally have a reason to graduate, my parents are going to buy me a new iPod, I hope it's at least the 15 Gb one because of the accessories it comes with. I think someone else mentioned they don't use a lot of the features on the Zen, you will eventually find that simplicity is a very amazing feature in itself. Good luck with your purchase.

May 7, 2003 at 3:57 AM Post #15 of 21
I already said

if you're going to use ksc-35s, get the ipod

if you're going to use ER4Ps, get the zen

I use both, but I think i'm going to get me an Ipod this summer. Preferrably an old-school 20GB since it has better battery life than the new ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back