BEST Cheap Custom IEM company
Apr 5, 2010 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sdotfire

100+ Head-Fier
I have bought a few pairs of universal fit IEM's and know that you can get them tips that are custom molded to your ears but I want straight up custom IEM's. I don't want to break the bank on some JH16 pros or UE11/18s.

Right now I am considering Alienears (but have heard bad things about customer service and duration of completing the actual product), Livewires, or Fidelity. Are there any other ones out there that I should be aware of? The only reason that I want to try alienears is because they have the 10-day trial offer and you get your money back.

Andre from Alienears called me back today and explained that they are the same BA drivers used in both their triple and soon to be released quad drivers custom IEM as JH or UE uses. Is this true, because if so why would I waste $1000+ on something I can gete for between $300-500? I have heard some complaints about the promptness of Andre's products completion so am somewhat skeptical. Any input would be much appreciated, and I am sorry if this is a repeat thread but it seems that all the info I could find on cheaper custom IEM's was from two years ago with 100+ pages in each thread.

Currently, I am using some IE8's and am going to buy some Shure's from a head-fi member for a good price but might hold off on that if I go with the custom IEM. Andre said he could take apart any universal IEM as long as it has BA drivers, but can I really trust him with that? BTW, I want the most bass possible and he said that his triple driver IEM would knock my socks off but of course I would say the same thing if I were in his position.

Thanks

Apr 5, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by sdotfire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Andre from Alienears called me back today and explained that they are the same BA drivers used in both their triple and soon to be released quad drivers custom IEM as JH or UE uses. Is this true, because if so why would I waste $1000+ on something I can gete for between $300-500? I have heard some complaints about the promptness of Andre's products completion so am somewhat skeptical.

If they have customs with 4 drivers, great they can be good, but it doesnt automatically mean, that they can compete with high ends from Jh or UE. They quad drier can be even worse than two driver models from UE or Jh audio, but nobody can say anything about them now.

So, just number of drivers isnt everything.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Apr 5, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #3 of 7
Using the same drivers doesn't necessarily mean they'd also sound the same as JH/UE customs. JH/UE has to tune them (and do whatever else) and that creates the sound signature. There will be the build quality of the customs to take into account as well.

Unique Melody, a company in China that does remoulding and also makes their own customs has garnered quite a good following here. Their prices are also reasonable. You might want to check them out.

Apr 6, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #4 of 7
I checked them out and sent them an email, I want the best bass possible even if it destroys my hearing. Do you guys think I should just get the Westone 3's or stick with the IE8's and get custom tips for each?

I'm really considering alienears just bc they have a 10 day return policy

Apr 6, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #5 of 7
Try out Unique Melody, they have gotten good feedback from the members on this forum.

Apr 6, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #6 of 7
JH and UE use proprietary exclusive drivers, so I don't know how the claim to use the same drivers.

Apr 7, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethan961 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JH and UE use proprietary exclusive drivers, so I don't know how the claim to use the same drivers.

Yeah I was skeptical also so I opted a safer and more proven route when I ordered the Sennheiser IE8's today (for $210 from an authorized dealer!!!). I got a sweet warranty which includes accidental damage, so if I don't like them I'll return them and opt for the Westone 3's. Which do you think is better for bass? I heard the IE8 is but the 3 can go lower apparently, I think that if I got custom tips for the 3's they would be the obvious winner but am unsure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back