Best CDP at the really low end...
Dec 2, 2002 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Jackangel

100+ Head-Fier
...of the price spectrum.

DCM-370.
SCD-CE775.
DVP-NS500V.

Anyone have opinions as to which of these is better than the others? Anything I didn't mention which is just as good as any of these, or better, for $200 or less? Any comparisons welcome.

thank you

Dec 3, 2002 at 12:07 AM Post #2 of 23
I'd also like to know. I'm thinking of buying a CDP for my first non-portable source.

Dec 3, 2002 at 1:12 AM Post #3 of 23
Dec 3, 2002 at 8:44 AM Post #4 of 23
Ok, if no one has an opinion on these 3 players in comparison to one another, then how about how they compare with the c541i, or perhaps on the elusive 963sa (if you've heard it, heard of it, or care to guess), the 222es or music hall cd25, etc...

Mooo,
rp

Dec 3, 2002 at 1:41 PM Post #7 of 23
yup, that's primarily the reason. The ns500 is a cheap way to get into SACD. It's sacd playback has been compared to players that are much more expensive. Check this thread out: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=21040

which is running on a similar topic. Personally, I don't find the ns500v to be a good redbook player. The denon wins there.

Dec 3, 2002 at 5:34 PM Post #8 of 23
The NS500's DVD and SACD playback are a plus imho, but not
required. If I can have them with excellent redbook playback, so be it. Maybe the new Philips will do me right. But otherwise, I'll have to pick something else that has significantly better redbook, and nothing else. I'd hope that the NAD c541i, as redbook-only and more expensive, would definitely outperform the less expensive combo players (including the ce775, which has SACD). Anyone else think the Denon is better than the Sonys for redbook? I'd love to try 2 or more of these players for myself, but although I can demo the NAD at home for 7 days, I don't know where in Jersey to find one of the other units for demo. So, unless I can manage a side-by-side comparison of my own, I'll have to depend on general Head-Fi consensus to help narrow my choices down to one.

Dec 4, 2002 at 4:12 PM Post #9 of 23
If DVD's aren't a priority the right choice is the CE-775 for its linear PSU, Burr Brown DAC, carbon resistors, superior transport, laser assembly, master clock.....

Dec 4, 2002 at 7:19 PM Post #12 of 23
When I first came to head-fi I was using the Denon and still think it is a very good player.I found it a bit bright and somewhat lacking in midrange detail and focus but it sounded great through the solid state components I was using at the time.Yes,the redbook playback is a bit better than the Sony but not by a large margin.I think what initially shocked me about the Sony is how good it actually is for the pittance that it costs.I would advise you to hold off until after the new year.I think you will see some other players that may appeal to you.

Dec 5, 2002 at 6:43 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by SumB
If DVD's aren't a priority the right choice is the CE-775 for its linear PSU, Burr Brown DAC, carbon resistors, superior transport, laser assembly, master clock.....

Which brand is this?

Dec 5, 2002 at 6:44 AM Post #14 of 23
He must be talking about the Sony SCD-CE775.

Ok, so the NS500V isn't as good as the DCM-370 for redbook. Do most others agree with that, or are there dissenters out there? By the way, thanks for the other suggestions, but I have to restrict my choices to those players which many people recommend. Choices are difficult enough as it is. This ain't the best way to choose anything, I know, but it has its purpose, and may be the best method for now. Of course, I may just break down and buy a NAD, for that should beat any of the players I've mentioned in this thread. But, I'll wait for that damned 963sa to arrive on the scene first, at least.

peas owt,
rp:AUM

Dec 6, 2002 at 5:24 AM Post #15 of 23
Whoa, we must be thinking on the same level. I've decided to hold off on the DCM-370 and wait untill I can afford a NAD. However, as andrewpj attests to, you can improve the sound of the DCM-370 by unplugging the headphone jack, making it less bright and improving the sound overall. That makes the DCM-370 more attractive. I also saw a refurb go for less than 90 bucks on ebay last week. It still might not be a bad choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back