best CD remasters?
Jan 24, 2008 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

flohmann

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone run across any remasters that represent a substantial increase in sound quality from the original releases (i.e., worth buying the CD again)?

For example, I find the new U2, Joshua Tree remaster is a disappointment. It's mastered louder, but when you control levels, it's pretty indistinguishable from the original (at least through my Mark Levinson -> Blockhead -> HD650 set up).

The best remaster I bought this year is The Cure, Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me. It's a total transformation, with obvious improvement across the board.

Other remasters that were a huge step up in sound quality were Steely Dan's box set (over the original CD releases).

You?

Jan 24, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #2 of 8
The Stone Roses 'The Best of....' CD was quite a step up from the originals. I haven't checked them for clipping though and I wasn't so aware of the loudness war when I formed this impression......<off for a listen>

Jan 24, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by flohmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Other remasters that were a huge step up in sound quality were Steely Dan's box set (over the original CD releases).
You?

Agreed....and the latest releases of the individual discs, which I've received from yourmusic.com, are also the most recent remaster, as far as I know.

As Becker and Fagen have mentioned, this newest "Katy Lied" is a significant improvement over previous releases, but mostly because it incorporates at least a partial fix of the dbx goof-up more than just being a good remaster.....if I understood something from their web site correctly.

Jan 24, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by lipidicman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Stone Roses 'The Best of....' CD was quite a step up from the originals. I haven't checked them for clipping though and I wasn't so aware of the loudness war when I formed this impression......<off for a listen>

Is there anything great on the stone roses album that is not on the greatest hits? Or is the album just better because of the song sequence, etc...

Jan 24, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 8
MFSL/MoFi, has U2 Joshua Tree.. it goes for about $60 a piece.

More than half of my collection consists of MFSL/MoFi CD's. The best "new" remastering I've ever come across. If you haven't tried them out, now is the time to do it.

ProductCart shopping cart software - Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab, Inc.

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 8
The best remaster that I have heard is The Who, Live at Leeds... plus they added pretty much the entire concert instead of the original 7 tracks (IIRC). The original LP was very dark and muddy sounding... the remaster is very clear and sounds great.

Jan 24, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #7 of 8
Yeah, I like the Live at Leeds remaster as well, but I haven't checked the spectrum, so I have no idea whether it's got loudness war problems. Along the same lines, the Deluxe Remaster of Tommy has an SACD surround sound remix that is well worth hearing.

Jan 24, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #8 of 8
Best remasters (a quick list):
(CD's)
Anything by DCC Compact Classics
Anything by Audio Fidelity
Anything by S&P Records
Anything by Analogue Productions
Almost anything by Mobile Fidelity

(Vinyl)
Anything by Analogue Productions
Anything by Classic Records
Anything by Music Matters