Best Cans for Soundstage? ($200 or less)
Dec 14, 2010 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

EhteeUser

New Head-Fier
Hello.

As you may know, I started a different thread already, only this time, I'm asking specifically for headphones that have great soundstage, for $200 or less. 

Thanks for any help.

(I'll buy anyone's AKG 1000s for $200...hehe)

Dec 14, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #2 of 6
Oh, and I want to feel as if I'm "in" the music. Take video game music, for example. I want to feel as if I'm in that video game directly (nothing wrong with liking video game music...it's ambient).

Dec 14, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #3 of 6
(My TF10s have decent sound stage with Null Audios Lune Silver mod. But expect to push out a good 300 bucks to get the set up. Some may argue the the silver mod isn't worth it but I think it expands the sound stage, makes the highs brighter, and gives the mids a little more texture. I have also heard that the UE SF5 pros and Etys ER-4Ps have pretty good soundstage presentation. The SF5 are where I'm heading next!)

Edit: Sorry, Im used to talking about IEMs. My fault.

Dec 14, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #4 of 6
Klipsch Iamge ONE, Radius DDM.........

Dec 14, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #5 of 6
He said cans guys, not IEMs.

You will find most folks in this forum section revolve around IEMs mostly.  You may be better off in the full-sized headphone forum section for better info.

The basic idea with cans is that you want an open back design as closed cans tend to have smaller sound stages.  Other than that, it will vary a good deal between brands and models.  My familiarity with full-sized headphones is minimal.  My bro has the K702, and that's about my extent.  I would not recommend that headphone for what you're looking for despite it being a very good and open design.  The sound stage simply isn't its strong point, and that's what you're looking for.

You may opt to look at some gaming specific headphones as more reviews tailored to what you're seeking will be available.  These tend to be decently affordable where even the more expensive ones roll in around $150 and most $100 or less.  Plus most will include a built in mic which you will likely use.

Dec 14, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
He said cans guys, not IEMs.

You will find most folks in this forum section revolve around IEMs mostly.  You may be better off in the full-sized headphone forum section for better info.

The basic idea with cans is that you want an open back design as closed cans tend to have smaller sound stages.  Other than that, it will vary a good deal between brands and models.  My familiarity with full-sized headphones is minimal.  My bro has the K702, and that's about my extent.  I would not recommend that headphone for what you're looking for despite it being a very good and open design.  The sound stage simply isn't its strong point, and that's what you're looking for.

You may opt to look at some gaming specific headphones as more reviews tailored to what you're seeking will be available.  These tend to be decently affordable where even the more expensive ones roll in around $150 and most $100 or less.  Plus most will include a built in mic which you will likely use.

Thanks for already clearing the IEM thing up already.

Yeah, I was looking at the Audio Technica AD700s (open) recently...I've heard rave reviews about its massive soundstage.

Oh, and I don't actually game (with headphones). I just have a decent collection of soundtracks. =\

Users who are viewing this thread

Back