Best cans for low level listening?
Aug 31, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #16 of 24
i need to really look into gs1000 as well.

i've got all those headphones in my signature, and after listening them for about 2-3 hours, i hear whistling or ringing in my ears which lasts at least 30 minutes.

Is it because im listening too loud? But at low levels they don't sound so good
frown.gif

Im really worried to damage my hearing now, lol, cos that happens quite often (the whistling)

Sep 1, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #17 of 24
Drake,
If you're listening too high over a prolonged period of time, headphones might be the reason. We tend to listen at too high levels.

Sep 2, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #19 of 24
You should check with an SPL meter. There are instructions in a thread. Basically you get a chunk of cardboard and cut a hole for the meter's "mic nozzle." If you turn down your phones to 80 db it should be pretty loud - plenty for hearing 100% of the SQ of music. There is really no reason to listen louder than that. If you need to, you can go to a few decibels over for a single album as long as you don't do that multiple times a day.

If you don't like the idea of spending money on an SPL meter, the alternative is to SLOWLY turn your volume knob from zero with an open mind. As soon as it's loud enough for you to hear fine, STOP. Listen like this for a week or two and you'll get used to it (your brain will adjust) and find your old volume to be too loud. I personally find volumes a bit past 80db to be unenjoyable because I've become accustomed to moderate volumes.

Sep 2, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #20 of 24
I don't have a spl meter, but I've been thinking of getting one.
I'm careful not to listen at too high levels anymore and I usually do that by turning the volume up to a level that is normal-high and after that turning down a bit, 5-10db.
My issue is with the headphones. The K 271's, while good headphones just doesn't sound very exciting at low level.
The Koss Porta Pro with modded pads are great for low level listening. A very good budget headphone for low level listening.

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:58 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd suggest a Stax rig might be worth a shot as well, especially if you want to still be able to hear what is going on around you, but, of course, not if you don't want that.

X2

Any of the current Staxens and any out-of-production Lambda-model is great for low level listening. (The original Omega 1s, of course, too, but they are hard to find and pay).

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:46 AM Post #22 of 24
Both the GS1K and the HE60 that I have excel at low and very low level listening. The biggest issue that I have with low level listening is the left to right channel tracking errors with most volume controls.

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:59 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i need to really look into gs1000 as well.

i've got all those headphones in my signature, and after listening them for about 2-3 hours, i hear whistling or ringing in my ears which lasts at least 30 minutes.

Is it because im listening too loud? But at low levels they don't sound so good
frown.gif

Im really worried to damage my hearing now, lol, cos that happens quite often (the whistling)

I actually think what you need right now, is to get a dedicated headphone amp. The essence stx's amp won't cut it for the cans you have

That "at low levels they don't sound so good" is a sign that your headphones ain't getting enough juice flowing through them

Sep 4, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #24 of 24
So I'm thinking of getting a pair of Manufaktur DT770's for low level listening. Is leather pads and 600 ohm the way to go? Currently I use the Digidesign Mbox 2 Micro and yet small it's pretty powerful and has a good headphone out.
I would really appreciate some help here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back