Best Cans for Jazz?
Nov 10, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #18 of 33
K701 has a great soundstage and really nice resolution in the highs and mids which makes it a really nice can for jazz in my opinion.

Nov 10, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #19 of 33
Phraxos, from your profile I see you have no amp, and if using your computer, no external amp or dac. Are you willing or able to invest that way? If not, some of these recommendations are meaningless.

Nov 10, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #20 of 33
I recommend Sony MDR-CD3000, if you can get them. My fav cans for sax music
3000smile.gif
:

Nov 10, 2007 at 8:06 AM Post #22 of 33
Guys, the man's got no amp and his sources are an ipod and a computer without an external dac. Shouldn't we be a bit more mindful?

Though I'm not that experienced with good unamped choices, the MS1s are the only one's I've owned that might be what you're looking for. If you end up not liking them, you can always sell them for only minimal loss. You might also want to look into setting headphones aside for a minute and improving your gear, or saving your money to do so, so that your headphone options wil be greater.

Nov 10, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Phraxos, from your profile I see you have no amp, and if using your computer, no external amp or dac. Are you willing or able to invest that way? If not, some of these recommendations are meaningless.

I see what you mean, having read that post about building systems. I do have a portable amp though, a Xenos 1HA-EPC, which'll be used in conjunction with an iPod 5G connected with an SPC LOD. Is this sufficient to enjoy some of the higher-end suggestions being made?

Nov 10, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #25 of 33
From all cans I've heard, Denon D5000 sound best with jazz to my ears. They're also closed, and have a lot of bass, maybe a bit too much for my liking in some tracks, but overall they're doing great.

Nov 10, 2007 at 4:02 PM Post #26 of 33
Beyer DT-880s with a tube amp.

Nov 10, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phraxos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see what you mean, having read that post about building systems. I do have a portable amp though, a Xenos 1HA-EPC, which'll be used in conjunction with an iPod 5G connected with an SPC LOD. Is this sufficient to enjoy some of the higher-end suggestions being made?

Yes. I'd stay away from the notoriously hard-to-drive headphones, but other suggestions are now quite reasonable.

Nov 10, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #29 of 33
There doesn't seem to be any clear favorites... is this just because of the nature of the genre? More suggestions? (Perhaps with more sampling I can start to see a pattern.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back