Best Cans for Jazz?
Nov 9, 2007 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Phraxos

100+ Head-Fier
Yeah I'm looking for a home can that excels with Jazz in particular. A smooth, groovy sound with a treble and midrange that can really make the saxophones sing.

Actually, this could even be titled "Best Cans for Sax?"

Closed would be preferable but I'm interested in all suggestions. I'm a bit of a basshead, so those cans that have that low-end kick will be of more interest to me.

Also, I'll never be able to afford top-tier cans like the L3000, Stax high-ends or Edition 9's, so don't bother mentioning them (or go ahead if you want).

Thanks as always-

-Phraxos

Nov 10, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #4 of 33
Without going up the top, where all of the headphones do it all.

Lets pick $100.

The K501 has oft been touted for its Jazz credentials, its had cretisism though too for being bass light, I suspect though that this may be a factor of amplification.

An orthodynamic would also be a good buy if you want to hear that saxophone resonance and harmonics as only a planar can do, without having to trouble yourself with the special amplification and investment of an electrostatic. A nice Fostex or Yamaha would do well.

If you like the SR-60 you have, then going a little up to the MS-1 would be a step at this level, or you could stomp up for an RS-1, I loved the RS-2 with the Jazz music I listened to at the UK meet.

Nov 10, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by epaludo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love how the K701 and the RS-1 sounds with jazz. The K701 is a bit smoother, but the RS-1 has a tremendous impact that i really like ...

At secondhand prices I can afford up to the RS-2... does that have similar impact (more/less?)

Nov 10, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #9 of 33
I would definitely try to listen to a Grado, a Sennheiser and an AKG to see which "house" sound suits your taste in Jazz more. All three of those phones are "good" with Jazz but they all do different things.

In my mind, if I have to put it concisely, my Grado RS2 will make energetic track come alive, and my HD650 makes deep bass sound oh so good. However, for soundstage and the more layback sound, I actually prefer my Audio Technica A900. For example, I really love "Take Five" on the A900.

Nov 10, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Progenitor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would definitely try to listen to a Grado, a Sennheiser and an AKG to see which "house" sound suits your taste in Jazz more. All three of those phones are "good" with Jazz but they all do different things.

In my mind, if I have to put it concisely, my Grado RS2 will make energetic track come alive, and my HD650 makes deep bass sound oh so good. However, for soundstage and the more layback sound, I actually prefer my Audio Technica A900. For example, I really love "Take Five" on the A900.

Thanks, your concise comments are very helpful. I personally find the AKG sound a little clinical, if you know what I mean (I auditioned my friend's K271S). I love the SR-60s and I think I'd enjoy the other Grado's as well, though I value a large soundstage which they apparently lack. I've yet to hear Sennheisers...

Keep the suggestions coming!

Nov 10, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #11 of 33
MSPro FTW, they have excellent mids, kind of neutral but large soundstage

Nov 10, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #12 of 33
i have MS1s and i think they beat my 650's for jazz especially in terms of pace and snap and handling of brass (might have to run them in to get rid of the sting)... i still can't find any type of music that i can comfortably enjoy on the senns yet though from what i read the rest of my setup might not be on par... in any case my vote goes to MS1 for jazz i won't comment on MS2 and above because i've not had the privilege of hearing them, but if it's true that you get more of what MS1 offers with a 2 or Pro, do try them out, i don't think they will disappoint

Nov 10, 2007 at 5:16 AM Post #13 of 33
I would like to throw in a suggestion of the ATH-AD2000. A good friend of mine (musicmind) is a jazz lover; saxaphone in particular. He has heard a variety of 'phones now, and owns a pair of AD2000 which seem to make him very happy
wink.gif

When I listen to them I must concur - they are neutral, transparent, with excellent tonality. It also has a lot of air and space - probably the most I have heard from a dynamic headphone. Matched with a slightly mellow amp with a little heft behind it and you might just be in sax heaven.

Nov 10, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RP-21 is great for jazz. I am big fan of Jazz and thought this phone did very well in that genre. It also has bass love and is closed.

I second that, I'd venture to say that jazz is the genre I enjoy listening to most with my RP-21s. Solid bottom end, and you can adjust treble to your tastes by changing/modifying the foam discs under the earpads.

Nov 10, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #15 of 33
I can recommend QP85. I love them for Jazz. Nice mids, fabulous soundstage, lots of detail and they are bright and complete opposite of muddy sounding. They work with acoustic Jazz best, also not bad with Jazz rock. Heavy and fast free jazz and avant-garde (think Brotzman / Laswell stuff) sounded to polite and without great authority on QP85 but all my hard-bob reacords sound great.

Edit: and you can find them used for around $100-$170 (depending on condition) if you look an German eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back