Best cans for hot, humid weather?
Feb 27, 2010 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Bostonears

1000+ Head-Fier
Since summer is rapidly approaching (well, almost), I've been pondering my search for holy grail cans to use in the warm weather. I find that many headphones are good until the indoor temperature reaches the high 70s (mid- to upper-20s C), above which my ears get too sweaty, and I need to switch on the AC or take off the cans.

Any suggestions for best hot weather cans? I'm looking for real headphones (not IEMs) that magically don't make my ears sweat in the hot weather. I used to own K1000s, which were excellent in this regard since they don't even touch the ears, but I sold them off for unrelated reasons. Senn HD800s seemed like they had potential in the few minutes I got to try them in the winter.

What do you folks down in Atlanta or Mexico City or Hong Kong or Singapore use in the summer?

Feb 27, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #2 of 17
I think circumaural cans are probably pretty much out. They have pads that are made of either:

1. Leather/Pleather, which get really hot and make you sweat more

or

2. Fabric, which soak up all the sweat and get nasty.

That doesn't really help, I suppose, but I'm sure something more portable would have to be less sweat-producing.

Feb 27, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #3 of 17
K701 is pretty good for hot weather - the cloth stays cool.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 17
Re-buy a pair of K1000 maybe?
I do not live in a very hot area, but find it to be really pleasant on a hot('ish) summed day.

Feb 27, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #5 of 17
MDR-F1 or K1000. xD

Feb 27, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #7 of 17
k501

Feb 27, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #10 of 17
The ESW10JPN are horrible now that winter has suddened deserted Hong Kong and left us all hot and humid again. The clamp, the earpads and my paranoia about moisture damage to this can all conspire to make it worse
frown.gif

Heh, I think in a hot house with no AC only the Sony Personal Field speakers will suvive. In a decently cooled house big open circumaurals will be listenable, they don't clamp and might even let a little airflow through.

Feb 27, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #13 of 17
99% of cans works just as well in humid weather. I used to live in bangkok which is one of the world most hottest, humid cities and I have never experience problem with my cans/iem whatsoever.

Feb 28, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by beamthegreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
99% of cans works just as well in humid weather. I used to live in bangkok which is one of the world most hottest, humid cities and I have never experience problem with my cans/iem whatsoever.

I live in Bangkok and now it's bloody hot. 11 am, I'm sitting in front of my PC, listening to my HE-5 now and the room temp is around 30-32C. Indeed it's very hot and I sweat, but I don't know why my ears don't get sweaty.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aside from discomfort it causes you, I don't think hot and humid weather will damage any type of headphones.

Feb 28, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvaffles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
such can exists?!

X1..
I prefer iem when it's hot like 120'F..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back