Best cans for a 7-year-old
Mar 26, 2006 at 7:30 AM Post #16 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by guynamedjohn
My son just sweet-talked me out of my 3g ipod. None of my 'phones would fit his head very well. What do y'all think would be the best sounding and best fitting cans for him? Sub $100, natch.

Your 7 year old son uses an ipod? Isn't that first grade? Man times have changed, and I'm only 16
biggrin.gif
. I didn't even know, or cared for that matter, what a cd player was when I was that age.

Mar 26, 2006 at 7:34 AM Post #17 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
Your 7 year old son uses an ipod? Isn't that first grade? Man times have changed, and I'm only 16
biggrin.gif
. I didn't even know, or cared for that matter, what a cd player was when I was that age.

Seriously, when I was 7 all I needed was a transformer and a crayon to chew on and I was happy.
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2006 at 7:55 AM Post #18 of 46
I'd say definitely Koss, but the KTX1 Pro instead of the KSC75. I don't think his ears will be big enough for the clip to fit comfortably around them. Same drivers, different, more popular and adjustable design.

Mar 26, 2006 at 8:36 AM Post #20 of 46
HD201's are a good choice, they're cheap/easy to replace, sound great (for a budget can) and are pretty well built. They should fit your sons head fine.

Mar 26, 2006 at 9:15 AM Post #22 of 46
Porta pro's fit my 7 year old cousins head fine. He already "broke" the right ear because no sound was coming out so he wrote Koss a nice letter (himself, saying how much he likes their headphones!
smily_headphones1.gif
) and they of course fixed them.

The downside is that their open nature means the kids listen and potentially damaging levels. Though I'm not sure a closed can would be better, they just like it loud at such a young age. :\

Mar 26, 2006 at 11:13 AM Post #24 of 46
get him nothing, nothing leads to less encouragement!
k1000smile.gif

Mar 26, 2006 at 2:20 PM Post #25 of 46
Damn, an ipod already? What is my kid going to need then!!.
Seriously I have to agree the senns are fragile, I had problems with my pxc250 due to FLIMSY construction, I mean for the price you d expect something a little stronger.
Buy him some sturdy pair of closed cans, and try to make sure he doesn t listen too loud, for some reason most people I know listen far too loud for my liking.

Mar 26, 2006 at 2:57 PM Post #26 of 46
Ok ,after seeing what everyone wrote.....

The px 100 is a bit expensive for a 7 year old,and flimsy.
The ksc75 might not fit well.
Get a can where the kid can enjoy bass,not highs....because it will have less chance damaging his ears.

Its an ipod,so i dont think a 201 would be portable enough.

Id say the KOSS KTX Pro-1......the highs arent too shrill,it has a build in volume control in case a song suddenly blasts,he can lower it,..its fits tight on adults and clamps down so it should fit a kid just right. It has alot of bass and is clear,theyre pretty tough and have KOSS's LifeTime warranty.
Amazom.com has them for $13.99 , and if ya spend over $25,you get free shipping...so buy 2, then while theyre being sent back under warranty,he can enjoy the other pair. Radioshack also sells them for $19.95 under the model Pro35. I love mine and use them often,along with my KSC75,KSC50,and also Grado SR80 for portable.

Theres my 2 bits
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #27 of 46
I just bought my 8 year old the HD-201. I wanted a cheap closed can, & these fit the bill. They sound pretty good (for the $18 I paid for them), but are sibilant in the highs. Build quality is solid, & they are comfortable. While they are not the ideal portable size they are fairly compact for full size cans.

Closed design was important to me because with closed cans there is less tendency to turn them up too loud fighting outisde noise (potential hearing damage), nor bothering anyone around him.

He previously tried my PX 200, but they are more expensive, & hard to keep a good seal.

I also let him try the Koss KSC35 clip ons & he hated the design. They are a pain in the ass to put on & take off imo too.

Happy shopping, & I'd be curious to know which route you take.

Mar 26, 2006 at 4:58 PM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n
Get a can where the kid can enjoy bass,not highs....because it will have less chance damaging his ears.

I thought it was always the bass that was the main cause of damage done to hearing.

Mar 26, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #30 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
I thought it was always the bass that was the main cause of damage done to hearing.

Our ears, like our eyes, are pretty complicated pieces of machinery (if it's fair to call them machinery). While our eardrums are very important in helping us to hear, there is more going on in there. In particular, our ears are filled with small hairs which vibrate and help us percieve sound. It is my understanding that what causes a lot of hearing loss is the loss and damage of these tiny hairs. You'd have to listen to music at awefully high volumes to do damage to your eardrums.

That said, I don't think that it needs to be high or low frequencies to cause damage to your hearing. I believe it's entirely related to the SPL (sound pressure level). In my experience, I find high volume treble to be much more painful to listen to than high volume bass.

Anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back