Best Cable for Overly-Bright AKG K1000?
Jun 28, 2013 at 5:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sonictransducer

100+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of K1000s, which I'm powering with a class BD integrated amp (the TBI Millenia MG3).  Currently it sounds way too bright, and the only way I can really make it listenable is to do major EQing, which I'd rather not have to do.  I'm hoping I can solve or at least diminish the problem with the right cables.  My aim is to get replacement cables hardwired.  Can anyone recommend cables for me?  I'm considering:

-Cardas copper cables, custom made by Zynsonix
-Stefan AudioArt E-Series
-Moon Audio Black Dragon

Any ideas about the above, or alternative suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.

Jun 28, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
I have a pair of K1000s, which I'm powering with a class BD integrated amp (the TBI Millenia MG3).  Currently it sounds way too bright, and the only way I can really make it listenable is to do major EQing, which I'd rather not have to do.  I'm hoping I can solve or at least diminish the problem with the right cables.  My aim is to get replacement cables hardwired.  Can anyone recommend cables for me?  I'm considering:

-Cardas copper cables, custom made by Zynsonix
-Stefan AudioArt E-Series
-Moon Audio Black Dragon

Any ideas about the above, or alternative suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.

My AKG K1000 are hardwired with Stefan Audio art E-series. It changes abit for the good. Do not expect miracles. In your picture I see a Sennheiser HD800. Do you also own that phone,. If so, you will know that The AKG K1000 is much more bright than the Sennheiser HD800. And , most people complain already about the Sennheiser being bright.  Well, I can tell even after hardwiring the AKG K1000, it will still be a bright phone, but the treble will become a bit less coarse and grainy…That is a plus. Most of the time it is not so much the brightness  that bothers, but the fact that the treble does not sound natural (e.g. coarse and grainy). The only way to really temper its brightness, is changing your equipment . I use a tube dac and 300B SE amplifier and I love it. I thought after buying the Sennheiser HD800 that I would give up on the AKG K1000. Well, no way. The AKG K1000 has its limitations. Even after recabling it is still a ‘coarser’ sound than the Sennheiser HD800, which sound more transparent and smoother. Furthermore,the Sennheiser images better. But, when it comes to excitement, the AKG K100 wins big time. It pays off to get it right, believe me. The AKG K100 gives me goosebumps every time. The Sennheiser I admire for what it is capable of, but the AKG K1000 is the phone I love at this stage. But remember I have completely tailored my system to get the best sound out of the AKG K1000. I am now in the process of collecting tubes that fit the Sennheiser better. 

Jun 28, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 4
. You might want to think about the interconnect between other source and amp as anothe way to tame brightness. Some cables are known to be a bit dark. I used some Gabriel gold interconnects which helped with treble brightness. They are not cheap but looking on forums you shoud be able to find others that have that reputation.

Jun 29, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely look into getting better interconnects, since my current ones are crappy. As for the HD 800s, I do love those headphones. In fact, I was planning to buy a pair before I opted for the K-1000s. I still might buy a pair, unless I decide to save up for Stax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back