Best Cable Choice For Koss KSC-35/75 Recable?
Feb 27, 2006 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

headchange4u

500+ Head-Fier
I am getting ready to start modding my Koss headphones-adding a resistor, modding pads, recable, etc... I was wanting to get the opinion of those who have already recabled their Koss. How does the recable influence the sound?

I am looking at either using Canare Star Quad, Canare StarQuad mini, Mogami StarQuad mini, Belden StarQuad (I have been wanting to try Belden StarQuad), or teflon w/ silver plated copper. I have a Litz braided 28awg silver plated copper cable that I could use for these, although I had planned on using it on another set of cans. I'm not sure whether 28awg is going to big enough.

I am not using Cardas 4x24 like Moon Audio. I can't see spending more for the cable than I paid for the headphones.

Any opinions would be welcome.

Feb 27, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #2 of 12
IMHO certainly not the canare L-4E6S or L-4E5C. Both are too stiff and heavy IMHO.

Might want also want to consider the HD650 cable. Not sure what AWG it is, but certainly its thicker than the OEM Koss. You could probably sell the unused connectors to some other DIY'ers.

Garrett

Feb 27, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
IMHO certainly not the canare L-4E6S or L-4E5C. Both are too stiff and heavy IMHO.

Might want also want to consider the HD650 cable. Not sure what AWG it is, but certainly its thicker than the OEM Koss. You could probably sell the unused connectors to some other DIY'ers.

Garrett

Thanks for the pics Garrett.

For some reason I thought the Canare Star Quad mini (L-4E5C) would be a little smaller than that. I knew the standard Star Quad would be to big for the application.

A Sennheiser stock cable would be nice. I would say that there are a few Senn cables out there that have had the connectors hacked off that I could get for cheap. I also have the stock Grado cable from my SR-60's. I guess that could be an option also.

Has anyone ever tried a SPC recable?

Feb 27, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9
Headchange, some people have noted a loss in bass response after recabling the KSC-35 FWIW. I haven't read about anyone recabling in SPC yet, just with the Silver dragon / Cardas 4x24 / HD650 cable.

That's not what I wanted to hear. A recable should not be detrimental to the sound of headphones, IMHO. Recables are supposed to improve sound.
eek.gif

I still may do a SPC recable since no one else has tried it yet. I still think I will go with a higher gauge wire than 28awg. I think either 26 or 24awg would be a bit better. I'm trying to find that balance between size and flexabilty. I don't feel right putting on a massive cable.

I sure bet the Cardas 4x24 would sound nice...............

Feb 27, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #6 of 12
i'm not sure what the blue dragon is made of, but "The Burninator" has even bigger bass than my stock KSC-35 - and yet more refined. Pretty awesome. BUT the sleeving is microphonic which is annoying when the music is off and you're walking around town, so when you recable keep that in mind.

Feb 27, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #7 of 12
Ok, I'm a serious newbie when it comes to any mod that involves more than just cutting a hole in something. However, I have been wanting to try my hand at recabling my KSC75's since they're so cheap. So, I find this thread of particular interest. First, let's get the newbie question out of the way...what is SPC? Now, have all 3 cable choices mentioned here resulted in a loss of bass response? How else has the sound been effected? Also, where is the best place to get 75ohm resistors and how hard are they to install?

Thanks

eggosmile.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #8 of 12
When I recabled my old portaPro's with silver coated copper wire, the bass seemed to have been trimmed. Considering the amount of bass the portaPro had in the first place, it wasn't necessarily a bad thing. It also seemed to improve the highs a little, with more extension. What I didn't like was the fact that the headphones lost their warmth.

My KSC35's actually have the portaPro's OEM cable (which is a hair thicker, with a better gold plated connector, compared to my OEM KSC35 cable which had a flimsy nickel connector that would cut out if you tugged on it.

Feb 28, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mektarus
Ok, I'm a serious newbie when it comes to any mod that involves more than just cutting a hole in something. However, I have been wanting to try my hand at recabling my KSC75's since they're so cheap. So, I find this thread of particular interest. First, let's get the newbie question out of the way...what is SPC? Now, have all 3 cable choices mentioned here resulted in a loss of bass response? How else has the sound been effected? Also, where is the best place to get 75ohm resistors and how hard are they to install?

Thanks

eggosmile.gif

SPC = Silver Plated Copper wire.

Ebay is your best bet for this stuff. Do a search for " silver teflon". You can get 75 ohm resistors from your local Radioshack. I think that Vishay Draloric are recommended, available from our sponsor www.partsconnexion.com, because of their small size. They fit inside the housing nicley it is said. Be sure to get a precision resistor or hand match them. Installation should not be that hard if you have used a soldering iron before. There are some pics in this thread that show the mod.

Quote:

i'm not sure what the blue dragon is made of, but "The Burninator" has even bigger bass than my stock KSC-35 - and yet more refined.

As in Trogdor the Burninator?
tongue.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by headchange4u
SPC = Silver Plated Copper wire.

Ebay is your best bet for this stuff. Do a search for " silver teflon". You can get 75 ohm resistors from your local Radioshack. I think that Vishay Draloric are recommended, available from our sponsor www.partsconnexion.com, because of their small size. They fit inside the housing nicley it is said. Be sure to get a precision resistor or hand match them. Installation should not be that hard if you have used a soldering iron before. There are some pics in this thread that show the mod.

Thanks! Now here's a couple of other seriously newbie questions: How do you hand match resistors and how in the world do you know what to order from Partsconnexion?

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #11 of 12
For hand matching the 75ohm resistors I have used a Digital Multimeter and checked the ohmages of 10 resistors. Then I have used the identical pair. I have recabled my KSC-35 with Mogami 2893 Hi Definition Mini Quad Microphone Cable (using 1.5 meters). The inner diameter of wires are 26AWG. Fits very well inside the connection cups of my KSC. I have cross soldered the 75 ohm metal film resistor inside these cups as well. But that was not easy. I have compared them to my unmodded ksc-35's. Difference was not like night and day but worth the waste of little money and time.

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by headchange4u
As in Trogdor the Burninator?
tongue.gif

Haha yep, a joke since a head-fi member here, "Trogdor," called my HP2 the most ungrado-like grado. Since then when i have a piece of gear that doesn't sound anything like stock, i use that phrase. "The Burninator" definitely is the most un-Koss-like Koss you'll hear!

btw mine has the 75 ohm resistors in there - I notice moon audio pops em in there for a few bucks more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back