Best buy for under $200 cans?
Sep 26, 2007 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Theimpaler

New Head-Fier
First off I'd like to apologize because i know nearly nothing about the intricacies of sound and whatnot, and am new to these forums.

With that being said, my birthday is coming up and I was really looking forward to getting some really good headphones for around 150-200 USD (am a little flexible with that range though), and the primary use would be for mostly listening to music, and for SOME gaming. My music tastes are primarily rap and hip-hop, with some techno and trance. I value really good bass, and soundstage is relatively important too. whether they are open or closed isn't too important, but closed would be preferred.

I've been looking at the audio-technica a900 or ad900's, but just because I heard good things about them. Are there other headphones out there that would suit my needs, or is there a better value out there?

Thanks in advance for helping me out, I really appreciate it!

edit: I tend to kind of abuse my headphones, so being sturdy is important!

Sep 27, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #5 of 29
Beyer DT 770s would fit the bill, or if you were looking for an IEM the Super.fi 5 EBs would also work.

Sep 27, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Theimpaler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, but:
1. whats an IEM
2. what about the HD595's?

iem = in ear monitor = think an earbud + earplug = small, isolating bud
probably not the best solution to gaming

Sep 27, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #9 of 29
Ok I really need to hear both the AD900 and AD700 so I can start providing insight on them. These two are starting to become the latest FOTMs!

ATs in general though don't need amps to sound good - if you get the AD900 you can just forget you ever read about amps, you'll be good to go with just the headphones.

Sep 27, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #14 of 29
I see there is still 1 vendor on e-bay selling Senn HD-580's. Those would be a great headphone to start your addiction with.

Bazile

Sep 28, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #15 of 29
Beyer DT770s and a nice portable amp (depending on your source) is going to be as good as it gets for the bass head, plus they're good for gaming as well. Enjoy the madness!
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back