Best buy bouncers. . .
Aug 19, 2002 at 3:34 PM Post #46 of 54
I've found Circuit City to have better prices. In fact I think Best Buy is trying to rip people off. I picked up a TDK 40-12-48 cd burner at Circuit City for $119 with a $50 rebate, then we went to Best Buy and saw the same thing there for $149 with the same rebate. I didn't think much of price difference until I was at TDK's website and noticed that TDK's price for that burner was $119. So Best Buy was charging $30 more than they should have.

Aug 19, 2002 at 3:44 PM Post #47 of 54
I agree the Circuit City sometimes has better prices. (BTW, what a change from 5 years ago, where bestbuy consistently undersold Circuit City). But as for some of the problems discussed in the thread, I don't expect CC to be any better. Oh, and I STILL haven't forgiven them for DivX.

Aug 20, 2002 at 4:06 PM Post #48 of 54
I didnt read every single post here, but I got the gist at the beginning. I used to work pretty high up as far as best buy's hierarchy goes.

First of all, to the original post, if the loss prevention person so much as touched you in an effort to restrain you, you have a lawsuit. They are in no way permitted to even touch your shoulder in an effort to restrain you.

Second you are fully granted by the law to walk out without your receipt getting checked. Just deny the request to have your receipt checked. Now yes they lose lots of $$ to internal and external theft, so if you are an honest person, in the long run as a consumer, it benefits you to have this process in place.

Someone had mentioned citizens arrest. First, citizens arrests are not permitted everywhere. Second, a Best Buy employee is not a citizen when he is working. He is Best Buy corporate and can do absolutely nothing in the way of stopping you. They must, MUST wait for the police to detain anyone.

If they witness you walk in the door with no product, take something off of their shelf, put it in your coat, keep you on camera at all times, and let you get past the last point of sale, then they can ask you to stop. No more. If you walk out, you walk out. Anything further, lawsuit.

Personally, Best Buy is a terrible company that deceives, cheats, and lies to its customers from the top on down (trust me, dont shop there).

Aug 21, 2002 at 8:24 AM Post #49 of 54
you actually have to walk out of the store before you've broken the law, not past the last POS terminal.
also, for your reading pleasure: bestbuysux . Comments from both employees and customers. I personally only shop at best buy anymore for stuff that I'm going to use temporarily and return later - i.e. if I need a hard drive to fill in for a couple of weeks for one that I have to RMA. They've treated me badly enough in the past that I don't feel bad at all about doing this either.

Aug 23, 2002 at 7:16 AM Post #50 of 54
A lot of them are just going through the motions. When it gets reduced to that, they need to change their strategy, because they're missing the true shoplifters.

I'm against shoplifters, because, as a legitimate patron, I'm the one who ends up paying for at least a fraction of that "overhead", and will turn you in in a heartbeat. And have.

Aug 23, 2002 at 7:23 AM Post #51 of 54
I have shopped at best buy a lot (though not lately for some reason.) and never been stopped by a 'bouncer.' Until today. I was carrying out a keyboard and a copy of Throne of Bhaal..., and my backpack (which i have wore into tons of stores and recieved no ****). The guy wanted to search my bag, i said no. He then told me to wait while he got the manager, and i bolted. I'll never set foot there again.

Aug 23, 2002 at 2:06 PM Post #52 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by penvzila
I have shopped at best buy a lot (though not lately for some reason.) and never been stopped by a 'bouncer.' Until today. I was carrying out a keyboard and a copy of Throne of Bhaal..., and my backpack (which i have wore into tons of stores and recieved no ****). The guy wanted to search my bag, i said no. He then told me to wait while he got the manager, and i bolted. I'll never set foot there again.

That's really obnoxious. He wanted to search you bag. If they're that concerned set up a good bag checking system. It can be annoying as well, but it I'd live with it.

Aug 24, 2002 at 5:31 AM Post #54 of 54
He just wanted to use the "search the bag thing" as an excuse. What he really wanted was to pat him down. As in: Sir, is that a weapon you're packing or are you just happy to see me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back