Best buy bouncers. . .
Aug 16, 2002 at 11:48 AM Post #31 of 54
andrzejpw

Just avoid the place and "void" it also...

But in case of problems like these:

a) If they call you to "manager's office", DO NOT GO. Stay where you are and let every body see what in going on. This will protect you.

b) Don't let then even touch you

c) Do not over-react w/ then. Don't loose your reason.

c) Dial 911 for help.

Aug 16, 2002 at 12:12 PM Post #32 of 54
Mr. PD: Quote:

I read this and looked out my window...... and wished I lived in Texas. Then I thanked God that I don't live in Canada.

Americans and their guns...when will they learn...
rolleyes.gif

Aug 17, 2002 at 5:44 AM Post #36 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by Zanth
Americans and their guns...when will they learn...
rolleyes.gif

Says the man from the land with 10% our population and 1% of our diversity. If your population ever grows, maybe you can take away sharp sticks and rocks to keep your citizens safe, too.

Aug 17, 2002 at 9:22 AM Post #37 of 54
Hey now, 1% diversity in Canada? No way. These are pretty much all the people I spend any time with: three buddies I spend time with at work, one is originally from Hong Kong, other from Malaysia and third from Kenya (but he looks like he's from India, as the roots are actually there). My current team lead is a white guy (married with Chinese) and my manager is from Middle East judging by his name. Of my two good friends (that's how many I've got ;( ), both were born here but one's mother is from India and father from Malaysia while other is white guy with red hair, quarter Swedish, half French-Canadian, quarter, I can't remember, Scottish? Sounds pretty diverse to me, and I didn't fudge and omit anyb... (well maybe a few of old friends expatriates). Anyway, no country is perfect, arguing it can only promote bad feelings. It's just, there certainly exist valid points to criticize Canada for, but lack of diversity isn't one of them.

As for the topic, this is something I've had a beef with too. I've been asked once or twice to check in my bag (kind of legal briefcase) in some local dvd/cd/electronics stores. Given that I spend in each of them several times their average customer, and do that often (much too often), I really get pissed off. It's enough that I keep getting screwed up with sales taxes and RIAA & MPAA fees galore as I keep shopping. I help the economy yet get punished for it. And then they want me to check in my bag? What, I'm going to steal a lousy CD? Or what's that stupid business now with games not being in the boxes, more delays at the counter?? Jeez, shoplifting is a part of life and business, deal with it. It costs you money? I don't care. When was the last time that the jerks have reduced the prices because all those high tech shoplifting measures surely have helped over last decade or two? Or they claim that they do that so that they can keep up their "low" prices. Riiight. They aren't low, and besides most of that stuff is only worth on paper (i.e. intellectual property). Either way I don't care. If you can afford to spend so much money on friggin' security measures that slow down people (I don't mind passive scanners but I do mind having to take off several usually well glued and hard-to-reach friggin' metal labels on CD and DVD cases once I get them home), you can also afford a system that will let you recognize regular well-spending customers by face and recognize them instead of harassing them, or at least leave them alone. So they keep saying "help the economy, help the economy, spend money", yet if you do that, they say "spread your cheeks" and stuff the big rolled up bill there. Why, if I were in Texas, I'd stuff their fat @#$$ into washroom and have them wipe with paper inserts from those CDs with all labels and such till they are sore down there (just kidding!) or... well, no, I wouldn't do that (even if I could), we Canadians are nice. Nice that is until they REALLY piss us off. That goverment better watch out then...

Aug 17, 2002 at 9:24 AM Post #38 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Texas, it's like a whole other country.
wink.gif

In Texas, Best Buy employees don't stop you to check your receipt. They do have bouncers, but they just watch the registers, watch you check out and watch you leave. I imagine they're stop you if they suspected you of shoplifting, but only if.

Sam's and Costco do detain you but as a private club, I agree that I probably did waive that right somewhere when I signed up. No such thing at Best Buy.

As for "no right to touch you"--heh. If you get caught shoplifting in Texas, you're likely to be tackled in the parking lot. My neighbor tackled a thief in my apartment the other day and held him til police arrived while his buddies took off.

Let's say you grab my wallet and I notice. You're going to be on the ground soon. You'll probably be bleeding. Is this legal? Probably not. Probably I should follow some civilized rules and whatnot. In practice, no court in Texas would prosecute me for kicking your ass if you ripped me off. The courts tend to extend that courtesty to stores here, too.

You wanna complain about civil rights? Try stealing a car and getting caught. Not only do we own the rifles, but we have the legal right to shoot to kill. The moral there should be: don't steal cars.

Anyway--I agree that Best Buy bouncers should not hold up innocent people who have already purchased their goods. They don't here and probably because we can be kind of unruly about such things. But if you're actually suspected of theft, well... be thankful if they only ask for your receipt.

Wow! Texas is like Nazi Germany! Heil Bushler!

Aug 17, 2002 at 1:13 PM Post #39 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Texas, it's like a whole other country.
wink.gif

In Texas, Best Buy employees don't stop you to check your receipt. They do have bouncers, but they just watch the registers, watch you check out and watch you leave. I imagine they're stop you if they suspected you of shoplifting, but only if.

Kelly,

I learned a long time ago not to make wide sweeping generalizations
smily_headphones1.gif

I visited our McKinney, TX, Best Buy, picking up a new cell phone for my daughter. My receipt *was* examined, and in addition, I have the fellows initials on it as proof!!!

Aug 17, 2002 at 1:20 PM Post #40 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by bifcake

Wow! Texas is like Nazi Germany! Heil Bushler!

Au contaire, mon ami.

Prior to rounding up the Jews, Hitler started a gun confiscation program in order that the populace could not defend themselves.

If any state could be equated to that of Nazi Germany, the closest that comes to mind is that of dear NY, specifically speaking of the totalitarian state of NY city, where the average citizen's right to defend him/herself is severely restricted...
evil_smiley.gif

I don't want to hijack this thread, and would prefer that it keep to topic, but them was strong words you used. It was too close to the pot calling the kettle black (and in this case, it wasn't even a kettle!)

Aug 17, 2002 at 2:14 PM Post #41 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by LarryS
I visited our McKinney, TX, Best Buy, picking up a new cell phone for my daughter. My receipt *was* examined, and in addition, I have the fellows initials on it as proof!!!

You musta looked suspicious.
wink.gif

Aug 17, 2002 at 2:23 PM Post #42 of 54
We are 10% of the population, but we are more of a melting pot than the US. Our proportion of diversity is higher than the US actually.

Aug 17, 2002 at 5:43 PM Post #43 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by LarryS

Au contaire, mon ami.

Prior to rounding up the Jews, Hitler started a gun confiscation program in order that the populace could not defend themselves.

If any state could be equated to that of Nazi Germany, the closest that comes to mind is that of dear NY, specifically speaking of the totalitarian state of NY city, where the average citizen's right to defend him/herself is severely restricted...
evil_smiley.gif

The analogy fails for one simple reason: You have to have right wing zealots in office for that analogy to be relevant. This is something that's not very possible in NY.

I see NY as the closest thing to Sweden in the US. I think that if Sweden had the wild west, NY would be it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 19, 2002 at 1:56 PM Post #45 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by nbajam
We can solve this problem real easily. DON'T SHOP AT BEST BUY. Their customer service is horrendous. Go to some place that values your business such as Circuit City.

Ummm... Out of the frying pan, into the fire?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back