Best budget tube amp?
Jun 23, 2020 at 9:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

TLDRonin

500+ Head-Fier
I'm interested in dipping my toes into the tube sound/tube rolling but don't want to spend too much. What options are there for a good tube amp around $150? From what I've seen, OTL tube amps don't play nicely with lower impedance headphones. Unfortunately, the headphones I use are the AD2000(40), Sundara (37) and the Elex (80).

Would the Vali 2 be a good option as a hybrid? I plan on using the dac section of my DX3Pro alongside any amp/pre amp I get if that makes a difference

Jun 25, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #2 of 4
I have a modded little dot mk 1+ at home for my low impedance cans and it sounds very very good for it's pricepoint. It has a changed op-amp though so i don't know about the stock one. Changing the tubes made a huge difference too.

Jun 25, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #3 of 4
I can't see the point in buying entry level schiit and I don't know of many cheap tube amps except what @Deolum mentioned. For low impedance cans you want a hybrid.

Look into a used Lyr 2. Far from perfect but nice sounding amp for a fair price used.

Jun 25, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #4 of 4
I have Sabaj PHA3 with Mullard tubes......for £60 total I think it sounds very, very nice (although technically just the pre-amp is tube I believe).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back