Best budget speakers?
Oct 21, 2001 at 7:11 AM Post #31 of 53
Yes, I have the October, 2001 issue.

DanG, I was wrong about the SRP, it's $495 in the U.S.
wink.gif

From the October issue:

Class B - Restricted Low Frequency
Quote:

This stand-mounted minimonitor has the same basic "house" sound as Triangle's Antal and now-discontinued Zephyr, and hit our ST "comme un coup de foundre -- like a clap of thunder. No $500/pair speaker should resolve like this." The Titus had definition, delicacy, and detail -- ST has heard more expensive speakers sound more constipated! Could use a sub, he counsels, but offers "nearfield magic" in "soundstage city." Minimalist crossover makes it tube- and even SET-friendly.

Oct 22, 2001 at 12:33 AM Post #32 of 53
MacDEF, could you look up what's the classification of Paradigm Reference Studio S-100 (version 2) speakers, if they're in there?

Oct 22, 2001 at 2:31 AM Post #34 of 53
These speakers have been in Stereophile's recomended components list for a while now.
For good reason! The version one used to be class C full range. The newer version two is class B full range. I have heard both, and the version two is better. You get a heck of a lot for your money with these speakers. Watch out they are very heavy.
I highly recommend a strong amplifer for these speakers, maybe even bi-amp.
If I was buying them, I would choose the NAD 218THX amplifer. It is rated at class C in stereophile, but it still is a very good match with the Studio 100s. Good luck!

Oct 22, 2001 at 3:04 AM Post #35 of 53
Quote:

MacDEF, could you look up what's the classification of Paradigm Reference Studio S-100 (version 2) speakers, if they're in there?

As crescendopower wrote, they are Class B -- Full Range.

However, they are not "budget speakers" by any means ($1900-$2400/pr)
wink.gif

Oct 22, 2001 at 4:10 AM Post #36 of 53
Since I paid $1700 Canadian ($1060 US) for them, they were budget for me
smily_headphones1.gif
. I was guessing they're class B full range (I knew older units were class C) but now I know. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
. Oh, Crescendopower, they ARE heavy, 55 kg each. I'll build an amp for them eventually and maybe get Rotel or Musical Fidelity amp for the meantime... Even now, no headphone I've heard comes close.

For more budget-minded, S-20 is much cheaper, especially if bought in Canada. I heard many Americans drive over to Canada to pick up Paradigms as they're made here and prices are roughly on par with US dollar (and I love to support companies that do that).

I remember B&W 300 were well rated for the money in Stereophile as well. A friend of mine has them and he's happy.

Oct 22, 2001 at 3:58 PM Post #38 of 53
I got laminate, wood is extra $500. The reason I got such a good deal (31% off list price which is CDN$2500) is my friend who is an unbelievable negotiator. Plus, three of us were buying at the same time (not the same stuff though) which allowed for more discounts. Realistically I'd expect CDN$1900-2000 if you push them hard. There are dealers within hour drive from border on the west coast and I'd imagine it would be the same on the east coast.

Oct 23, 2001 at 7:29 AM Post #39 of 53
I have not heard a lot of the newer speakers posted here. I have heard the Magnepans at my brother's and was blown away, but his system uses them with lots of little extras like extra tweeters aimed behind the front set. This is a surround setup with a Lexicon pro surround processor. I can't really spend that much for these. It's not so much the speakers, but also suitable amps for each set that gets me.
There are lots of really good older speakers I do know about though. I agree with the little Phase Tech speakers. These have a great sound with the proper subwoofer.
Right now I use an older set of large ADS and love them enough that I don't want to look for anything else, plus my amp is a perfect match for these very efficient speakers.
Anyone remember the old LX-4 by RS, (not the LX-5). This is a cult classic which has an incredible midrange from a special Kevlar driver. I have a set of these matched from 10 sets my brother had.
Dan

Nov 2, 2001 at 12:46 AM Post #40 of 53
just read this and are you even more confused yet..........hehehe......the best way to to find a speaker is to go to your electronic store or local dealer and audition speakers......to tell you the truth there are a lot of good speakers out there that are less than $500.....also check out review sites to see what other people say about a speaker. Magnepan, Axiom, B&W, Paradigm, NHT ,Jamo and Psb which are suggested are all good speakers....it just that which one really suits you? are u goin to use it for music or home theater or both? or what kind of music do you listen to? what sounds good to you may not sound good to me or vice-versa........
I myself just bought PSb ALpha Mini and i am very glad i did.....by the way Check out Acoustic Energy Aegis One ($299) ......this speaker has great has great reviews. I think its a Stereophile recommended component for this year. Good Luck!!!

Nov 2, 2001 at 4:05 AM Post #41 of 53
I recently heard the Magneplanar MMGs(i was looking for the best speakers for my sister's place), and frankly, they turn make my NHT 1.5s sound ordinary.

The catch is you can't play over 90db or so and the sensitivity rating is around 85db. You just need a really powerfull amp, and I think you have the best speakers under $500.

Nov 8, 2001 at 1:55 PM Post #43 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by Daniel Pumphrey
Anyone remember the old LX-4 by RS, (not the LX-5). This is a cult classic which has an incredible midrange from a special Kevlar driver. I have a set of these matched from 10 sets my brother had.
Dan

YES! I have a set of these. I think I managed to snatch up the last pair in my area. Have you done any tweaks to the x-overs on yours?

Dec 18, 2001 at 6:42 AM Post #44 of 53
Wharfedale Diamond 8.1's are the current darlings in the UK.

You may wanna seek out a pair of those?

Dec 20, 2001 at 4:04 AM Post #45 of 53
Wow! So many speakers and I haven't heard any of them. Maybe someday.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyways, has anyone heard the Sound Dynamics RTS-3? I've never heard it, but AudioAdvisor has such kind words for it that I was just wondering how it stacks up against the bookshelfs mentioned in this thread.

RTS-3 on Audio Advisor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back