Best budget speakers?
Oct 2, 2001 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

massappeal85

100+ Head-Fier
I know decent speakers are far more expensive then decent headphones, so I'm not gonna even state what kind fo budget I'm on. If there are any good speakers for below $500, name them or those above but near that price range. Thanks.

Peace.

Oct 2, 2001 at 2:15 AM Post #4 of 53
At that price for new speaker I would get the best PSB brand speaker you can afford. They are widely available at good discounts to retail price.

BTW I have 2 pair of PSB including Stratus Gold-i gloss black......sweet!

For $500 you should be able to get new pair PSB Image 4T:

Image4Ttn.jpg

Read about them here:

www.psbspeakers.com/s/ImageSeries.html

For used speakers Audiogon is the place to go

Oct 2, 2001 at 2:23 AM Post #5 of 53
I have the Axiom Millenia M3Ti speakers, purchased for $235 (US)shipped from Audio Shop in Ontario (Canada). Here's the link to their Axiom products page:

http://www.audioshop.on.ca/axiomspeakers.htm

I find these speakers to sound very nice with good imaging. I haven't compared to the other "giant killers" in this price rangel, like the NHT SuperOne, the PSB Alpha, or others in the sub-$300 range. But these speakers are good enough that I often enjoy listening to them instead of my headphones. I drive my speakers with a Creek 5250 integrated amplifier, by the way, and I use Silver Sonic Q-10 speaker cable. In fact, the speaker cable cost almost as much as the speakers! I must be insane.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2001 at 4:15 AM Post #7 of 53
Another choice would be the Norh 4.0. I'll do a review of the ceramics I ordered, once they finally catch up on backorder...
rolleyes.gif

Oct 2, 2001 at 5:25 AM Post #9 of 53
Actually, it's mainly the 4.0 ceramics that are on backorder, from what I understand. I wasn't aware of any 3.0 backorder. Did you e-mail Michael Barnes about 3.0 availability?

Oct 2, 2001 at 6:48 AM Post #10 of 53
you prob havent heard of this but you should really try this out

Legend Acoustics Kurre book shelf speakers about 500 US
very nice sounding.

Oct 2, 2001 at 4:51 PM Post #11 of 53
I would much rather see someone buy a good quality bookshelf speaker instead of a cheap, junky floorstander.
If you have good electronics you might want to check out the NHT 1.5. A beautiful high gloss black
bookshelf that will not disappoint. They just disappear, and let the music through.
Another bookshelf that is great is the Paradigm Reference Studio/20. Built like a tank for the price. Has a real wide, and deep soundstage. Both these speakers are great for the money. Good luck!

Oct 2, 2001 at 5:39 PM Post #12 of 53
I would give B&W Speakers a listen, they are famous for their quailty, both built and sound. I have the 602 S2 (£300/$500 ish) and they are fantastics, it took the HD600 with X-canv2 to compete with it for sound quailty for me.

dm602s2-24l.jpg
dm602s2-22l.jpg

with grill and without Grill.

Here's a setp up with 604s2 at the front with 601s2 at the rear with CC6S2 for centre.

600room_shot_new.jpg

As you can see, I am a bit biased here, so why not give them a listen before ignoring them. And remember, their technology comes from famous Nautilus Speakers ($50,000).

ACF38F6.jpg

Oct 2, 2001 at 7:56 PM Post #13 of 53
The Magnepan MMG's are truly special, BUT I have found that I could not get the benefit of their special sound with a standard receiver. I had to step up to big amps with good preamps.

For what it's worth, I also have a pair of Polk RT55's, which I think are around $500, but they need stands, so you'll have to pay extra for them. They're very good, even with a standard receiver.

Oct 5, 2001 at 11:09 PM Post #14 of 53
Wrong domain, for that matter...

But, answering the question anyway
smily_headphones1.gif
, also check out the latest Absolute Sound, the also had some speakers in the sub-$500 range (OMG!) in HP's Editor's Picks towards the back.

Also, check out Blueroom Minipods, look weird (like an upside-down beehive), sound good (or so I heard).

Oct 9, 2001 at 3:40 PM Post #15 of 53
I listened to both the NHT 1.5 and B&W 602s and I preferred the NHT, but others may not. I felt the NHT had a more detailed treble, but lacked warmth in the midrange that the B&W speakers had. Either of them would be great little speakers though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back