Best budget sound card?
May 26, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #31 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heyyoudvd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a general audio question that perhaps someone could answer.

The signal-to-noise ratio is among the primary factors that determine sound quality, correct? Because I was browsing through home theater receivers and I noticed that even a $2000 top of the line Marantz receiver (8002) only has a listed SNR of 105dB. That's lower than an Audigy 2, let alone a high end Xonar or Auzentech.

Does that mean that a $50 sound card can offer better headphone sound fidelity than a $2000 receiver? That can't be true.

Sorry to repost this but I'm really curious what the answer is.

Nov 9, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #33 of 36
Quote:

I'm really curious what the answer is.

some food for thoughts: iXBT Labs - ASUS Xonar D2 Sound Card
Quote:

ASUS apparently fights Creative with the same marketing weapon - high SNR. Measured in the standard de factor, Audio Precision, the ASUS D2 demonstrates 118 dBA, while the Creative Elite Pro offers 116 dBA. In fact, SNR values above -100 dBA do not make practical sense. Such values are lower than quantization noise power of a 16 bit signal with TPDF (Triangular Probability Density Function). As no one has complained about noises in AudioCDs yet, high SNR for audio playback is overkill.

and most op-amps have a max CMRR of 110/120dB anyway..

Nov 9, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #34 of 36
Quote:

Sorry to repost this but I'm really curious what the answer is.

There is more to it then that. There are other factors such as Dynamic range, THD distortion, IMD distortion that play into the overall sound quality.
Your also compring a source to an amplification unit.

On the flipside, many times a newer soundcard/DAC will sound better connected to a receiver through analog then the same system connected through digital. Why? The cards DAC's are of higher quality then what is available in the receivers S/Pdif input section. Depends on the units under test but this usually applies to low/mid and even som high end units.

Jan 8, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #35 of 36
Would Asus Xonar DX improve sound quality when transfering lp to the computer via Audacity from turntable to Pro-Ject Phono Box2 via usb in? Or is only advantage in playback?

Feb 20, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #36 of 36
How does Asus Xonar DS compare with Diamond XtremeSound 7.1?
I am looking for a 7.1 internal PCI sound card to upgrade from the onboard Realtek. I'd like to have both analog connections as well as S/PDIF coax or optical connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back