Best Budget Closed Cans?
Apr 11, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't cross the HD 280s off the list simply because one person says he has read that other people don't like them! It appears common to bash them on this forum, but they are well regarded elsewhere. I have them and love them. In fact, I choose them nightly over the Denon AH-D2000s, a headphone that has many people doing John the Baptist impersonations. The HD 280s are solid, comparatively inexpensive, and sound great to me. While I would describe them as warmish and articulate, they are not renowned for their comfort. I personally do not find them uncomfortable and actually appreciate the snug fit. And the resulting high degree of isolation and lack of leakage is one of their distinctive qualities.

I totally agree. I've only heard a few higher quality headphones in my day though. I love my HD-280s. Cant beat the isolation/size/snug fit. I actually prefer the snug fit myself. I really dislike headphones that feel like they need to be rubber-banded to my head
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't cross the HD 280s off the list simply because one person says he has read that other people don't like them!

I'll agree that was a bit rash; I am just anxious to decide on model. Once I decide I want something, I have a hard time waiting!
redface.gif

Duly noted and back on the list due to your comment and the 350 4+ star reviews on Amazon. They're also more attractive than the JVCs IMO.

Apr 11, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by phandrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My choices are AT ES7 or Denon D1001

x2. I own both and use both all the time. The ES7 is my closed travel phone (cups swivel flat and it fits in my briefcase perfectly). The D1001 is my closed phone for TV and movies at home -- lots of soundtrack music.

I had both re-cabled, since I happened to have extra high-end cable to spare, really more for the look of the dark red techflex than anything else.

D1001 is warm and wonderful. OP said warm, so that's my choice. Have not heard the 280s. The ES7's are tighter, better transient response, and way sharper looking than the D1001s. I see them now in Airport shops for inflated prices. But the D1001 is more musical.

Apr 11, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #21 of 29
Have you considered the Sony MDR-V6? They're about $70 at Amazon and seem to be highly regarded here. I got some a couple of weeks ago and really like them.

Apr 11, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Infernologic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure if you care about buying used, but buying new gets you the full warranty for sure.

No, if you buy from eBay 99% of the companies do not give you full warranty.

Anyways, if I were the OP, I would buy either a D1001 or an A700 for under $100. Both are solid cans for that range and neither really require an amp. I personally used the D1001 for almost 2 years and really enjoyed them. I have not used the A700, but I heard lots of good things about them. I came really close to purchasing them, but instead decided to go for used DT880's instead. I would definitely buy another D1001 if I had money to throw away.
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by bladefd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, if you buy from eBay 99% of the companies do not give you full warranty.

Yeah, I am a bit leery about buying expensive stuff on Ebay. I am not experienced enough yet in the audio world to know which stores to trust and such. I'd rather stick with established sites like Amazon, J & R Music, or straight from the manufacturer, etc.

...As a side note: my Grados seemed to have warmed up a bit after running pink noise all night. I am listening to Aphex Twin this morning and it definitely sounds more rounded. Now if I could only get some velour-padded coffee cups to fit over them.
happy_face1.gif

I like the look of the AHD1001Ks, but a reviewer on Amazon said there was a lot of leakage.

Looks like right now I'm leaning towards the ES7.

I love the fact that they fold and are portable. Could you tell me how they exactly fit? Do they totally enclose around the ear in big ovals or are they smaller circles that sit atop the ear? I can't really tell from the descriptions I've found...

Apr 11, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by LC3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you considered the Sony MDR-V6? They're about $70 at Amazon and seem to be highly regarded here. I got some a couple of weeks ago and really like them.

Yes to these. The V6 is a wonderful, basic headphone that has been around for a very long while. They don't get much attention here, but as far as bang for the buck goes, and decent sq, I think they're a bargain. They don't require an amp to sound good, they're durable and can handle getting banged up a bit if you like to pack them up and go from time to time, and they have a balanced presentation, unlike many of the newer less expensive headphones around that emphasize bass and/or treble at the expense of the rest of the spectrum presentation of detail. These are the headphones I recommend to friends who are looking to have some good headphones, but don't want to get into the whole headphone world. Not one has been disappointed. If I had to sell everything (egad...horror....
tongue.gif
), I could go back to these and not be unhappy.

EDIT: I admit to not being familiar with other headphones mentioned here except the 770/80, which is fine if you like lots of bass, and quite comfy.

Apr 12, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by spangalang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll agree that was a bit rash; I am just anxious to decide on model. Once I decide I want something, I have a hard time waiting!
redface.gif

Duly noted and back on the list due to your comment and the 350 4+ star reviews on Amazon. They're also more attractive than the JVCs IMO.

I know the feeling. I'm not saying they're the model for you, but definitely worth a serious thought.

I've always wanted to try those JVC's though, and they're about half the price of the HD 280s. But last time I went to order them, they were out of stock everywhere.

Apr 12, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by spangalang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eh...

aren't there any possibilities around $60-70?

Yessir (edit: Yes Maam). Either the JVC HARX900 (~$60) or RX700 (~$40) via Buy.com or Amazon. Be patient as they go out of stock frequently.

Apr 12, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #29 of 29
I want to highly recommend the Yamaha RH5-Ma. I bought them yesterday and am very happy with them. They're supra-aural, so they sit on top of your ears. They're very comfortable--I really really enjoyed listened with them last night for several hours with no discomfort. They're designed as studio monitors, so they don't leak sound, but are not completely isolating. They're not huge, which is nice. They're available at Amazon for $47.90 (at the moment). You can read reviews there, and other reviews here:

Yamaha RH5MA Reviews

They're not widely discussed here, but there are a few threads on them if you do a search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back