Best Bowie Album?
Dec 12, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #31 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by NacMacFeegle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Totally agree. Aladdin Sane was easily my favorite Bowie album (*dimly remembers misspent youth, luckily no recollection of nail polish or hair colour...Platform boots, alas, are there
redface.gif
*) and so as it's not on the poll I voted 'other'

The real question is, how can anyone not think that Cracked Actor is the sexiest song ever - YouTube - Cracked Actor

Dec 12, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #32 of 75
I definitely voted Hunky Dory. One of my favorite albums ever. A marvel of songwriting, and my favorite Bowie.

Dec 13, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #34 of 75
I cant believe no one has put in for heroes yet. My favorite with a close second being Aladdin Sane.

You could almost break this in to periods

Ziggy,
Berlin period (of which heroes is a part)
whatever you want to call the let's dance period

and so on.

Dec 13, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #35 of 75
Lodger is very much part of the Berlin period too.

What do you people classify Bowie as genre for your MP3's? I've decided to use Glam Rock as that is what he was best known for but he's not really a part of any Genre and is unique.

I find I have a problem classifying certain musicians because they are either not genre defining or stretch across many genre boundaries. I have the same issue with Lou Reed, Nick Cave etc. I want to organize my collection but don't known what genre to put them all in. Is there a website that can help me with that?

Dec 14, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #36 of 75
Personally, I like all Bowie’s records from the ‘70s, it was easily the best streak of records in rock at that time. However for some reason Young Americans is the one I enjoy the most. It’s very tuneful with great arrangements and lyrics simply superb pop album and you even have Luther Vandross and John Lennon on vocals. So, that’s my top choice :wink:

Dec 14, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #37 of 75
I was listening to some old James Brown last night and came across a song that had a similar guitar sound to the song Fame. Can't remember the name of the song now but I think I have found the song that inspired Bowie to do Fame.

Dec 14, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #38 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was listening to some old James Brown last night and came across a song that had a similar guitar sound to the song Fame. Can't remember the name of the song now but I think I have found the song that inspired Bowie to do Fame.

Bowie has always said that "Shame, Shame, Shame," an obscure R&B/disco hit by Shirley & Company, was the inspiration for "Fame." I think the story is that John Lennon was in the studio messing around with "Shame"…when Bowie heard him the lightbulb went on and they all got down to business. Wouldn't doubt that there's guitar-lick from James Brown patched in there somewhere, though.

Dec 14, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #39 of 75
What! No one has any love for "Heathen" or "Reality"???

Dec 15, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #40 of 75
I picked Aladdin Sane, so voted Other. All the seventies albums are great, except Lodger and Young Americans don't quite reach the same quality as the other albums of that period.IMO.

Dec 15, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #41 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bowie has always said that "Shame, Shame, Shame," an obscure R&B/disco hit by Shirley & Company, was the inspiration for "Fame." I think the story is that John Lennon was in the studio messing around with "Shame"…when Bowie heard him the lightbulb went on and they all got down to business. Wouldn't doubt that there's guitar-lick from James Brown patched in there somewhere, though.

Once my re-doing of MP3Gain is finished (sigh) on my mp3 collection I will find the song again and tell you which one it is. I'm not talking about the song itself but the guitar only. Definitely very similar. I have Shame, Shame, Shame in my collection.

Geez, I can't believe Let's Dance has 5 votes now and Diamond Dogs 0.

Dec 15, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #42 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Astroban /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked Aladdin Sane, so voted Other. All the seventies albums are great, except Lodger and Young Americans don't quite reach the same quality as the other albums of that period.IMO.

Matter of taste. Some people would pick Young Americans above all others and maybe even Lodger too.

Dec 15, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #43 of 75
Hunky Dory, closely followed by Ziggy Stardust.

Dec 15, 2008 at 8:26 AM Post #44 of 75
Hunky Dory is my favorite, but I also goes back to these often:

Young Americans
Station to Station
Heroes
Let's Dance
Tonight ( Don't know why people do like that CD )

Dec 15, 2008 at 11:18 AM Post #45 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Astroban /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree that Young Americans is weaker than most of his other albums (especially in comparison to the top rate Station to Station, where he really does get his plastic soul thing together), but its by no means awful. Lodger is pretty much up there with Low and Heroes in my estimation - maybe a tiny bit lower as it doesn't sound quite so innovative, but it is still top rate in every way.

By far the worst album of the 70's golden run is Diamond Dogs. Sounded bad then, sounds outright embarrassing now. Pinups doesn't amount to much either - enjoyable enough but who really cares? Actually that is probably my view of Young Americans as well come to think of it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back