Best Bowie Album?
Dec 7, 2008 at 3:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 75

PepsiCo

New Head-Fier
I was doing a search, and surprised to find that this poll hadn't been made yet, so here it is:

What do you think David Bowie's best album is?

Personally, I like Earthling, and Hunky Dory.. and all the other ones, I'm not sure I could pick just one. Haha.

Dec 7, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #3 of 75
I think most people will vote for Ziggy Stardust, which is a great album.

However, I think Hunky Dory is far better. I'll elaborate when I'm soberer.

Dec 7, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #7 of 75
No decision yet, but I'll be back when I can decide between Hunky Dory and Station to Station. Love them both to death…

Dec 7, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #8 of 75
Absolutely impossible to pick the best bowie album because every one is special and has it's own story behind it.
I'm the biggest bowie fan i know,and have been for more years than i can remember and this is just impossible to answer.
However if i had to pick 3 i'd choose these,not as the best but my favourites.
Station to station.
1 Outside.
Low.
None of these are in any order just ones that i love.
Mind you if i was being honest i would have put every album down!
In my opinion david is without a doubt the greatest of all time.

Dec 9, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #10 of 75
The poll should include all of his albums from Space Oddity up to Scary Monsters. Every album in that period is very good (1969 - 1980), even the cover album Pin-Ups. After that period all are non-contenders IMO, although; I admit 'Let's Dance' is a very well crafted pop album. Last solo Bowie album I bought was 'Tonight' which was very disappointing. Here is the list your poll should have.

1. Space Oddity (1969)
  2. The Man Who Sold the World (1970)
  3. Hunky Dory (1971)
  4. The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (1972)
  5. Aladdin Sane (1973)
  6. Pin Ups (1973)
  7. Diamond Dogs (1974)
  8. Young Americans (1975)
  9. Station to Station (1976)
  10. Low (1977)
  11. "Heroes" (1977)
  12. Lodger (1979)
  13. Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) (1980)
I voted for Ziggy Stardust but it was a hard choice because there are so many other albums that are pretty much equally as good. Ziggy Stardust was the first Bowie album I bought though so is the only real reason I voted for it. Buy all the albums on that list and you have the essential Bowie collection, IMO.

Dec 9, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #11 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyerfan70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1 Outside.

Hmm, I have only heard a few songs from that album. I should maybe pick it up seeing as you claim you are the biggest Bowie fan. I've liked very little he has done since Scary Monsters though. I should warn you that I had the Ziggy haircut w/bleached blonde streaks and used food coloring of various colors, wore silver boots, satin pants, glitter nail polish and makeup back in the day so may have you beat as a fan unless you can match that.
wink.gif

Dec 9, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #12 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should warn you that I had the Ziggy haircut w/bleached blonde streaks and used food coloring of various colors, wore silver boots, satin pants, glitter nail polish and makeup back in the day so may have you beat as a fan unless you can match that.
wink.gif

Pics or it didn't happen!
biggrin.gif

I voted for Ziggy Stardust - a longtime favorite!

Dec 9, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #13 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pics or it didn't happen!
biggrin.gif

Any pics from that period have long since been destroyed, and for good reason.
wink.gif
I only dressed that way sometimes and not all of the time. A girl on the street once shouted at me from across the street if I thought I was Gary Glitter and I said, no, I'm David Bowie.
tongue.gif

Dec 9, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #14 of 75
Milkweg, you like Bowie AND massive attack (from the thread on hip-hop). You are now my hero.
Also, you seem to be the only one besides me who doesnt particularly like what he did past the late 70s.
Can I have your babies?

Dec 10, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #15 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, I have only heard a few songs from that album. I should maybe pick it up seeing as you claim you are the biggest Bowie fan. I've liked very little he has done since Scary Monsters though. I should warn you that I had the Ziggy haircut w/bleached blonde streaks and used food coloring of various colors, wore silver boots, satin pants, glitter nail polish and makeup back in the day so may have you beat as a fan unless you can match that.
wink.gif

Yep can match that,my hairdo changes from month to month,year to year.
At the mo it's Hours era,ie long and choppy but that will change come new year.
Got the red suede boots with steel tops from the glass spider tour,and the suit made special,not the real thing of course but pretty close,still wear the make up occasionally for special do's and get called weird,went to a wedding dressed as the duke 76era orange and blonde streaks at front and was told to leave lol.
I won't go on rofl.
Anyway 1 Outside is an absolute stonker of an album,loaded with killer tunes and lyrics to die for.
Eno is onboard for this one and cut-up techniques were heavily used for lyrics etc,much like how diamond dogs was written.
All in all imo it was his best work since monsters and to this day holds up as a corker.
Check out the motel,and the title track outside,its seriously classic bowie!
I love everything he has done and probably will till i die.
Seen the guy live more times than i can remember,the last time on the reality tour at wembley.
If it wasn't for that heart attack i'm sure we would have had a new album by now but as it stands at the moment i seriously doubt he will do anymore.
I hope that isn't the case though.
Prove me wrong david.....please!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back