Best between Denon D7100 Beyer T1 T90 Hifiman HE 500 HE 6 and Audeze LCD 2?
Jan 23, 2013 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

supermannick

New Head-Fier
hey guys,

just recently joined the forum and hope you guys could help me out.

i was thinking to upgrade to a good pair of cans under $1000, but i dont want to spend more than i need...
I use mainly with my laptop and iPod (planning to get a digital audio player ) with the Fiio E17
listening to a bit of everything really... good base would be nice..

and i have been looking around and currently down to these choices

Denon D7100 - on discount at the moment around $700

Beyer T1 and T90

Hifiman HE 600 and HE 6

Audeze LCD-2

Also it would be great if anyone could recomend a good portable digital audio player...

many thanks for the help.

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 4
Heya,

Based on what your source is and what you're looking for, the D7100 would be it.

Alternatively, the Mr Speaker Mad Dog or Hifiman HE-400.

Those other headphones need quite a bit more than what you have source-wise, so your cost goes up quite a bit (like +$500 easily for a decent DAC/AMP setup for the rest, especially the Orthos).

Very best,

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
mal,

what other DAC/AMP setup do u recommend ?

Heya,

If you go to a high end Ortho, I can't recommend enough how good a speaker amp is with them (HE500, HE6, LCD2). Headphone amps work, but a speaker amp takes the orthos to a different world, better sound staging, better, deeper, controlled bass, the mids are essentially perfect. It's just a different experience, and a better one in my opinion at least. Speaker amps also cost less than headphone amps. You just get a balanced cable made with speaker taps to use with the speaker amps and you're good to go.

I recommend the Maverick TubeMagic D2 (tube-dac) with an Emotiva mini-x A-100 speaker amp. It's a budget friendly high powered setup that will power any ortho to it's limits.

Read more here.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back