Best battery powered amp for home use?
Mar 17, 2007 at 10:51 AM Post #2 of 24
Can you say a little more about what makes an amp a "battery powered home amp" for you? There are a couple different interpretations:

- size/portability not a big concern
- RCA jacks
- external power options, when not running on battery

One you might want to look into is the HeadAmp AE-1: has both a miniplug input on the front and RCA jacks on the back, and can run on either its internal battery or wall current (which also charges the battery).

On the not-so-portable front, I think I've read good things about the HeadRoom Desktop Portable amp, but I haven't heard one of these myself.

Mar 17, 2007 at 11:39 AM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch /img/forum/go_quote.gif

One you might want to look into is the HeadAmp AE-1: has both a miniplug input on the front and RCA jacks on the back, and can run on either its internal battery or wall current (which also charges the battery).

Hey yeah, that's what I'm trying to do-and there's an AE-1 for sale here

Or you can order a new version for $350+ (AE-2)...no word on mine yet
frown.gif

Mar 18, 2007 at 9:04 AM Post #6 of 24
Thanks for the suggestions!
One question. How good does a cmoy with good parts sound with Grado's? I know RA-1 sounds pretty good with Grado's and the cmoy is a similiar design and very cheap too. I like minimalistic and neutral designs. I've looked at the Zero Audiocraft cmoy on ebay.

Mar 18, 2007 at 9:06 AM Post #7 of 24
If you like neutral you should consider a Porta Corda...
Did you add Headroom Micro Amp to your list? Runs off two batteries.

I have the PR2 and rather fond of it personally, very neat and good sounding lil amp, and has dead gorgeous looks xD Although getting one of these sounds like a hassle. (FS forums ftw in my case)

Mar 18, 2007 at 12:23 PM Post #8 of 24
My Hornet sits atop of my Micro Amp and Micro DAC. I like both the Hornet and Micro Amp. The Hornet is what I take along when I need to be mobile, though.

Honestly, Hornet is really a kick-butt piece of gear. It is portable with decent battery life, it has a charger that allows you to charge it while using it plugged into the wall. In short, it serves as a super-small desktop "home" amp, and it serves as a super-small portable amp. At first I thought it was expensive, but I feel a bit better after purchasing because it is so versatile.

My set-up is as follows:

Digital out X-Fi Xtreme Music -> Belden 1505F Digital Audio Cable -> Micro DAC [size=xx-small](I also have USB going from my Audigy 2ZS going to DAC)[/size] -> 6" Cardas Mini-to-mini -> Micro Amp or Hornet -> Grado quarter to eighth inch plug adapter -> Grado quarter inch splitter -> K601 and DT880.

[size=xx-small]My DAC is connected to two sources. Benefit: I can toggle back and forth between listening to iTunes for my Nano and listening to CDs via Foobar.[/size]

[size=xx-small]The Grado Y splitter allows me to have 2 headphons connected, so that when I feel like swapping, I just have to take one off and put the other on.[/size]

Mar 18, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #9 of 24
I would vote for LaRocco's Pocket Reference II with PSR (dedicated linear regulated power supply) as the best battery powered amp qualified for home use.

Its supreme sonic qualities aside, its superb craftsmanship and unique, all metal design adds to its appeal for home use. It can be used as an art display and blends well to your home or office design. Especailly with the matching PSR, it is quite a classy setup compact enough to fits anywhere at home or office desk, yet refined enough to be your only headphone rig.

F. Lo

Mar 18, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Berning micro-ZOTL hooked to a 12 volt supply.

It's an outstanding amp no matter how it's used.

Mitch

You beat me to it. Specially since the OP did not state it had to be portable.
icon10.gif

Mar 18, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #12 of 24
I 2x this...since I have one and often use it with SLA 12vDC battery
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Mitch

Mar 18, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #13 of 24
Mar 18, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

This place amazes me. I've been here for months, read endlessly about amps, and suddenly someone recommends some kit that I have never heard of as the best and everyone jumps in and agrees.

So much to learn... Just learn... Must resist...

Mar 18, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #15 of 24
Believe it or not you can find post of least 5 years old that were suggesting the Berning micro-ZOTL as a reference headphone amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This place amazes me. I've been here for months, read endlessly about amps, and suddenly someone recommends some kit that I have never heard of as the best and everyone jumps in and agrees.

So much to learn... Just learn... Must resist...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back