Best Bass-Hitting Headphones under $300 (preferably unamped)
Jun 2, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #16 of 20
Hmmm.  OK, no argument there.  I guess I'm on a different level.  I consider the M50s pretty thumpy.  I could hardly imagine wanting any more bass than that, as for me the M50s strain the outer limit of "too much" bass, for me at least.  If they are not enough, then one could rule out the Denons as well.

Good luck on the search.  :D

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #17 of 20
Bump! Although I've read through and watched all of cb's and hawaiiboys videos on basshead cans they all pertain to optimal situations (amp+dac). This particular thread intrigues me because OP is seeking the ideal basshead cans WITHOUT an amp and/or plugged straight into iPhone/PC. If I recall correctly, CB actually recommends the mainstream brands for unamped basshead cans ie V-Moda, Sony XBs, Beats, and Momentums. I personally feel this will most likely be the case but the question is which model of those brands in particular will offer the best all around bass!

On a personal note, I've owned and listened to several of the Sony XB series which offered some of the best bass I've heard to say the least but I could not wear them for extended periods. I tried over the course of several months to see If they would break in or my ears would adjust but they were just downright uncomfortable for me. This is abnormal for XBs as I've seen lots of positive reviews of their comfort. So, those will not be an option for me but I would be interested in giving the newer XB600s a try to see if this is no longer an issue.

Jul 12, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #18 of 20
I think, going back a few pages in the "BEST BASS Headphones" thread, it was mentioned that the Beats Mixr were really good unamped.  They got plenty loud, and played low off of an iPod or Sony Walkman, I can't remember which.  May want to look at them.

Jul 13, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #19 of 20
When I'm out & about I use my Sansa Clip+ driving a pair of V-Moda M-100's. Some refer to them as basshead cans but I wouldn't say so. However, they EQ superbly and are capable of incredible bass to my ears.

Apr 15, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #20 of 20
I realize this thread is very old but like the OP I'm still looking for that Sony xb500 replacement that is at least as good or better, unamped, comfort and bass wise. I've been searching for years but can't find anything. Hopefully there are some recommendations you guys can offer based on any newly released headphones?

I have tried the M-100s which sounded awesome but they were not comfortable to me. They were far too tight on my head. I purchased the bigger pads and it was still the same.

I also tried the Xb950 and the comfort wasn't there either. They pinched my ears and sounded somewhat low to me didn't notice a big improvement over the xb500.

Any other cans I can try out under $300 preferably? Will V-Moda release another line anytime soon something perhaps more comfortable?

Thanks for reading

Users who are viewing this thread

Back