Best Bass-Hitting Headphones under $300 (preferably unamped)
May 20, 2014 at 3:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

chunnchilla

New Head-Fier
It's been mentioned plenty of times before, has covered major distance in the topic, and the thread/post count in this .org is about to hit "Egyptian-level" status...
What truly is the best (so far) headphone for strong bass (>$300)? I need you guys' help, input, and/or expertise. (Scroll down for "In short")

My situation: I'm looking for a pair of bassy Over-Ear headphones that hit TWICE as hard in the ears than they do on my wallet. I'm not looking for any amps right now, but down the road, maybe a Fiio e5-e9, or a Digizoid Z02 could one day join the family. EQ may be used but mobile only.

My history: I can't say I'm an audiophile, but I like some quality. All my music is 256kbps and higher. I am a basshead, however, that comes second to overall performance. based on the budget, I'll settle in the superb-clarity department because I'm pretty easy to please.

My story
First pair of headphones I loved and listened to... Beats studios (please continue reading if a smile cracked or a mental facepalm was considered). Connected my iPod to them at BestBuy and I loved them: comfortable, BASSY, stylish, seemed perfect. The pricetag though was crazy at the time in 2011. That said, I turned away and looked elsewhere.
Later, I read some head-fi threads and decided on my first actual purchase: Sony XB500's ($50-$60). Hands down, some of the best headphones ever!!!
Out the box they were awesome to me, and got better over time. I burned them in, had friends try em on different songs, and knew I found a pair of audio blowjobs lol. 
Compared them to others: 
V-moda m100's > nice, but lacked the amount of punch
V-moda LP's > quality was there, close contender
Dre Beats Solo + Pro > HA! I was so young, so nieve. nice too, but too many flaws vs. the number of perks

Bang for Buck, the XB500's are legendary. The XB700's "I heard" compete, but lack the punch/thump/impact. They're warmer. The XB1000's? Very deep, would love to try but can't find any. 
Ive got a friend who I let use my xb500's for his FL music production and I think I converted a former Skullcandy fan to the new faith: quality. He loves em, uses them plenty as I just use my Sony shelf system at home, but when I thought about going for the xb700 or xb1000's, DISCONTINUED. Now rare, or overly expensive, I'm considering purchasing another set of bass cans altogether.

Analogy to what I'm looking for: A car with heavy bass. NOT A TRUNK SUBWOOFER, but clean impactful bass all around. I want the seats to boom, not the whole damn car. Outside the "car": little to no leak if possible. Inside: like Front Row Deadmau5/Zedd Tour Tickets or a Downtown Miami club, during Spring Break! NOT LOOKING FOR a THX Dolby Digital Surround Sound Home Theater System.
I want mids and highs to paint the picture, but the bass to let me know where I am. Strong and tight Punches & Kicks, no Haymaker Low Blows & Sweeping Roundhouse Kicks.
I want something that lets me play in 7-8feet/2 meter area of the pool. I still want to be able to visit the deepest end, but I know where I'm most comfortable. I want to remain off my feet, with only the neck-up exposed; still able to clearly see right before the "drop-off" and even the kiddie section. 
[I hope these somewhat vivid descriptions help lol, I don't really know the mids vs high trebles and what not, unless I actually hear them I suppose]

Headphones to debate:
Audio-Technica ATH-PRO700MK2
Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 80 ohms
Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 32 ohms
Philips Fidelio X1/28
Ultrasone PRO 900 (Waaay out of budget, but hoping used or Lightning Deal one day)
Pioneer HDJ-2000
Denon AHD2000 
V-Moda Crossfade LP2
Sony XB700 or XB1000
sony X10
Ultrasone HFI-580
...etc

Sample of song spectrum (25 songs, some bassy, some springy, some fun, some smooth):
BT - Rose Of Jericho (Robbie Rivera Mix)
Mac Miller - S.D.S.
Bonobo - Animals
Bonobo - Kong
Common - Be (Intro)
John Mayer - No Such Thing
Two Door Cinema Club - What You Know
Kendrick Lamar ft. Gunplay - Cartoons & Cereal
Erykah Badu - Window Seat
Kid Cudi - Brothers
Drake - Draft Day
Que - OG Bobby Johnson
Wiz Khalifa - Nameless
Big Sean ft. Kendrick Lamar & Jay Electroinica - Control
Joey Bada$$ - Waves
Nicky Romero - Toulouse
TJR - Ode to Oi
Immortal Technique - Dance with the Devil
Chance the Rapper - Acid Rain
Empire of the Sun - Walking on a Dream
Phil Collins - Trashin the Camp
System of a Down - Pictures
Doughboyz Cashout ft. Big KRIT, Jeezy & Pusha T - Pure White
TNGHT - Bugg'n
Mr. Carmack & Arnold - Muney (Gimme Dat)
I'm looking for the doctors and the former patients in Head-Fi.org community. If you don't really know first hand, just chiming in, wanna share two cents, go ahead-just please state that. It's your community, but with other people apart of it too; no trolls please.

In Short/ TL,DR: Comparable, if not better to Sony XB500's, what is your best pair of Bass producing headphones that deliver a good seal, overall decent quality, punch, rumble, boom, thump, and hard-knock that doesn't leak excessively, rattle around, just low hum, and distort sound? *Under<$300*

May 20, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 20
^Not exactly a bass heavy headphone

Anyway, there aren't many headphones that are more bass heavy than xb500

May 20, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 20
the xb500 does NOT have clean bass and drowns out the rest of the frequency rabge imo. Consider, the v-moda m100's. They're bass heavy, but not at the expense of the rest of the frequency range. 

May 20, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #5 of 20
Hmm...from the looks of it, you look like you need a bass cannon.
Head over here for a general overview of the headphones you're looking at: http://www.head-fi.org/a/the-best-bass-headphones-a-head-fi-wiki

If you've got the idea of the basshead headphone types, then head over here to check out the massive list of bassy headphones:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/715697/the-audiophile-bass-lounge-basshead-club-part-ii

Of course, take note that there are a lot of headphones to be debated on whether it's worthy of basshead certification, so take them with a grain of salt.

Anyways, good luck with your search!
beerchug.gif

May 21, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #6 of 20
actually for a good bassy unamped headphone consider the Logitech UE 6000, I enjoyed them very much my self, and they are about a 1/3'd of what you asking for, I had the XB 700 and it works best with an amp 

May 21, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #7 of 20
Hi,

Fidelios X1 are open back headphones (They don't provide much isolation). My Yamaha HPH-200s (Open Back) provide more punch than my Fidelios L1.

You should consider AudioTechnica WS99 and Yamaha Pro 500.

You could also read about Takstar HD5500 (Bass), Takstar HD6000 (Bass + Treble), and M-Audio Q40.

Best Luck!

Jun 2, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #8 of 20
  Hmm...from the looks of it, you look like you need a bass cannon.
Head over here for a general overview of the headphones you're looking at: http://www.head-fi.org/a/the-best-bass-headphones-a-head-fi-wiki

If you've got the idea of the basshead headphone types, then head over here to check out the massive list of bassy headphones:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/715697/the-audiophile-bass-lounge-basshead-club-part-ii

Of course, take note that there are a lot of headphones to be debated on whether it's worthy of basshead certification, so take them with a grain of salt.

Anyways, good luck with your search!
beerchug.gif

Well according to hawaiibadboy and gelocks, I think I fit in w/ Group 3: Bassy Headphones.
The described "cannons" seem actually overkill. Those seem Rated:Mature, I'm on the Rated R or even the Unrated Special; considered close to some, but still two different categories.

I'm looking for the inside rumble and boom, not to (WARNING: Graphic Description) "vibrate the skull, they vibrate/tickle the cheeks, upper neck and cause physical sensations."
Specifically, I fit in that "under $200" section of the Bassy Headphones, which still has so much debate running through it, so the journey continues.

Jun 2, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #9 of 20
Besides hunting for another XB series, the V-Moda line-up does seem a little promising. I heard a pair of my friends and it did have a little of what I was lacking. With the LP2's out and the m100's with pretty decent reviews, I may give them a try. 

The soundmagicHP100's dont seem too shabby either. Yamaha Pro500's supposedly have decent bass and look okay but I was more impressed w/ the V-Modas and the Logitech UE6000's
basshead.gif
. Saw a video review and had me leaning towards the logitech, then my interest got piqued @ the 'Moda's. (They do have custom plates too!!!)

Since I'm only going off of written and video reviews, a conclusion is going to be difficult to find. I';ll try my local BestBuy and Guitar Center and a Music Corner to hopefully do some testing and get more opinions.

To all the, count 'em, 6 replies- thank you guys. The input is appreciated!

Jun 2, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #10 of 20
  ...Fidelios X1 are open back headphones (They don't provide much isolation). My Yamaha HPH-200s (Open Back) provide more punch than my Fidelios L1.

You should consider AudioTechnica WS99 and Yamaha Pro 500.

You could also read about Takstar HD5500 (Bass), Takstar HD6000 (Bass + Treble), and M-Audio Q40...

Good to know, I just really think those FideliosX1s would make my ears look sexy.

And haven't looked at the Takstars, but that Q40 doesnt exite me. Would like to know how they compare to the xb's though.

Jun 2, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #11 of 20
I'd say Pro 900 as they're very highly regarded in the Basshead community, but since it's out of your budget, look into the M-Audio Q40's. Great balance between bass quantity and quality ..

Jun 2, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #14 of 20
Hey chunnchilla,

I'm surprised no one mentioned them yet, but the Audio-Technica M50 are famously great for bass, comfort and quality, and come with a price tag of less than half what they are worth quality-wise.  You can get them used, here on the forum, for around $100 give or take $20.  They were always my favorite for thumping bass, mixed with great sound and awesome durability.  Plus, you can run them from any source and they sound great.  I imagine about 9 out of 10 people on the forum will concur, if not more.

If you want to spend a bit more, and take a leap forward in clarity and quality of sound, (though the M50 is great, believe me), you can grab a Denon D2000 Modified from Mark Lawton Audio.  It's heads and tails and rockets above the standard stock model, and basically sounds like the M50 taken to extremes of quality and sound presentation.  It's less durable, to be sure, and a bit more picky about sources.  But it's a gold-standard pulse-pounding sound for a decent price, though not cheap.

If I were you, I'd pick up a used M50 and if you're happy, you've ended your search right there with a long-lasting, comfortable, great sounding and travel-worthy headphone, that you can run from anything.  If not, then it's easy to resell within a week or less both here or on the usual places, and you can go for the Denon or keep looking, and you'll know more about what you're looking for specifically.

Good luck on your search.

Jun 2, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #15 of 20
Hey chunnchilla,

I'm surprised no one mentioned them yet, but the Audio-Technica M50 are famously great for bass, comfort and quality, and come with a price tag of less than half what they are worth quality-wise.  You can get them used, here on the forum, for around $100 give or take $20.  They were always my favorite for thumping bass, mixed with great sound and awesome durability.  Plus, you can run them from any source and they sound great.  I imagine about 9 out of 10 people on the forum will concur, if not more.

If you want to spend a bit more, and take a leap forward in clarity and quality of sound, (though the M50 is great, believe me), you can grab a Denon D2000 Modified from Mark Lawton Audio.  It's heads and tails and rockets above the standard stock model, and basically sounds like the M50 taken to extremes of quality and sound presentation.  It's less durable, to be sure, and a bit more picky about sources.  But it's a gold-standard pulse-pounding sound for a decent price, though not cheap.

If I were you, I'd pick up a used M50 and if you're happy, you've ended your search right there with a long-lasting, comfortable, great sounding and travel-worthy headphone, that you can run from anything.  If not, then it's easy to resell within a week or less both here or on the usual places, and you can go for the Denon or keep looking, and you'll know more about what you're looking for specifically.

Good luck on your search.

With all due respect, the M50's are nothing near being basshead material and in no way do they have "thumping bass". I have owned them previously (white box version) and I'd say they have a neutral sound with boosted treble, and slightly elevated bass, but not much bass to be classified as "bassy". Still, they're a great option for under $150, but I believe there are better options at that price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back