Best bargain headphones?
Jan 26, 2006 at 12:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

unseen

100+ Head-Fier
Just a broke unemployed college student here looking for the best headphones money can buy (just as long as they're under $100
tongue.gif
). Grados excluded.

Anyone know of any good sales going on right now or just some cheap but good headphones in general? I'm pretty desperate here.

Links appreciated.

Jan 26, 2006 at 1:11 PM Post #4 of 28
What's your source? Will you be using from a portable? Computer? Amp? Do you prefer outdoor portability? Do you want open or close?

And if you'll use the search function, this topic's been discussed billions of times. There's a lot of good read in these forums. Here's a list:

KSC35 / KSC75 - best bang for the buck and sounds EXCELLENT (for pop music) out of any portable. open.

PX100 - open. sweet form factor. great all around phones (portable/gaming/dvd). non fatiguing. comfort is top notch.

MS1 - open. could be a bit uncomfortable for some. recommended for bass lovers (trip hop etc.).

D66 eggos - semi closed. excellent for classical music. foldable. detailed and on the bright side. good comfort.

MDR-V6 - good bass extension. foldable. slight headband/leather pad discomfort (but beyer pad replacements makes em comfy). close.

Indoors:

AKG240 - best bang for the buck for non-portable phones below $100. Open. Shines with an amp. good comfort.

HD280 - great circumaural phones. close. very comfy. neutral sounding. but they are a bit expensive above 100. but sometimes, you could pick them here or ebay for less than a hundred.

IEMs:

ER6i - good for classical. not for bass lovers.

Westone UM1 - if you like your bass for that price

Shure e3c - slightly above 100

Future Sonics FS-1

Jan 26, 2006 at 1:13 PM Post #5 of 28
What if he doesn't like clip-ons? I know a lot of people don't.

The Koss KSC75 are currently $12.75 at Amazon. I have never heard them but everyone raves about them.

Jan 26, 2006 at 1:28 PM Post #9 of 28
If you're looking for something closer to $100, I suggest these:

Beyerdynamic DT231 (~$60). Tight and impactful bass, good highs, slightly recessed mids. It has a v-shaped sound that is pretty enjoyable.

Sennheiser HD485 (~$75). Somewhat dark sounding. Bass is slightly strong, but it is not boomy. Good mids. Highs slightly rolled back but responds well to equalizing. Great headphones for rock, rap, dance...basically anything that calls for good bass.

Alessandro MS1 (~$99). Well, maybe this is not a consideration because you said to exclude Grados, but the MS1 has a really nice sound. Good balance, impactful bass, does not suffer from the screechy highs of other Grados. The negative is that it does not have any soundstage.

Sennheiser EH350 (~$65). A very balanced headphone with nice, tight bass, clear highs, and decent mids, but it is a bit dry-sounding. It's hard for me to articulate exactly what a "dry" sound sounds like, but I know it when I hear it. I'm not particularly fond of dry-sounding headphones, but the EH350 does not suffer to the same degree as the HD497. By the way, some people seem to think that the EH350 is just a slightly-improved version of the HD497, but I think it's much better.

AKG K240S (~$80-$99). Very smooth sound but with slightly boomy bass, hence the "groovalizer" moniker. Too me, these come across as a poor man's HD580. Some people say that the K240S needs to be amped, but I actually find the amped sound to be slightly too aggressive while the unamped sound is smoother and more balanced.

Etymotic er-6i (~$85). I love the sound of the er6i, but I can't stand the discomfort. I find these to be the most uncomfortable iems I've tried, which is a shame since I think they sound great, but that might just be me.

Jan 26, 2006 at 1:29 PM Post #10 of 28
By the way, looking at the OP's post count, how can we all be so impolite without the proper welcome greeting.

unseen, WELCOME TO HEAD-FI, SORRY ABOUT YOUR MAN-PURSE
biggrin.gif
!
stick around this place and you'll see yourself looking for part-time employment soon. Happy shopping!

Jan 26, 2006 at 1:47 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by TenaciousO
Some people say that the K240S needs to be amped, but I actually find the amped sound to be slightly too aggressive while the unamped sound is smoother and more balanced.

Interesting. Must be your source. Out of the MicroDAC or Aria, the 240 sounds balanced. The mids gets enhanced, the soundstage bigger (width) and sets the bass apart which makes these more airy and less agressive.

Jan 27, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #12 of 28
Thanks for all the help guys. I have to say I didn't really have clip-ons in mind but how everyone seems so agreeing on them and as cheap as they are I think I'll probably have to get a pair in addition to whatever else I get.

What I actually had in mind were (and pardon me for not knowing the correct terms) a good earphones (the ones you actually push into your ear) or some basic over head/over ear headphones. I want them mainly for home use (through my computer) but also for my iPod when I'm out and about.

Would eBay/amazon be my best choices to try and hunt down these headphones or can you guys recommend me some good online stores instead? I'm new to this and have no clue as to what's out there.

Jan 27, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #13 of 28
Of all the headphones I've heard around $100 : SR60, SR80, V6, CD780, HD570, E3C, E2, HD555, HD590; my overall favorite would have to be the HD555s, the sound signature reminds me alot of what I like in my reference system: forward, dynamic, airy, but at the same time non-fatiguing and very smooth.

Jan 27, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by unseen
Just a broke unemployed college student here looking for the best headphones money can buy (just as long as they're under $100
tongue.gif
). Grados excluded.

Anyone know of any good sales going on right now or just some cheap but good headphones in general? I'm pretty desperate here.

Links appreciated.

Bose Quiet Comfort 2

Jan 27, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by unseen
tongue.gif
). Grados excluded.

Links appreciated.

If you prefer over-the-head as opposed to earclips, I really enjoy the Koss Portapro for rock on-the-go. Not my favorite headphone for home listening, but it sounds great out of portable sources and really rocks. It's worth the $50 they charge, but it's often possible to find a better price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back