Best bang for the buck pc speaker setup (2.0/1) with DAC ~250-300eu?
Oct 27, 2012 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Djo77

Head-Fier
Looking to buy some decent speakers together with a DAC or soundcard (whichever gives me better audio quality). Is there anything else I need for setting this up?

Budget for DAC/ soundcard: ~100eu
Budget for speakers ~100eu
Budget for sub~30eu

I can spend more, if you think it will make a big difference vs the budget I am currently thinking of (~30-50%). I would prefer to keep it at the intended price range though.

I've got plenty of room so size of speakers doesn't matter. I listen to all kinds of music. If you need any other information just ask.

Current gear:
German Maestro 8.35d
Arrow Headamp 3g
One logitech... speaker from a cheapo set (the other speaker and sub died on me).

Oct 27, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #2 of 7
I would say to get 2.0 and not 2.1,
Use the cash you were going to spend on a sub-woofer towards better 2.0 speakers.
The better over all sound of the 2.0 will make up for whatever low end (sub-bass) you lose.

The Hifimediy Sabre seem to be a good value for an external USB DAC for the price, $52 (41 Euro).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140847495065?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

So that leave you with 190 Euros for 2.0 speakers.

Oct 29, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for your replies. I think I'll hold off on buying the speakers for now till I've got more money. Decided I will go for a headphone upgrade first. However I do want to buy a DAC, I've read good things about the Musical Videlity V DAC. I'll see if I can get one somewhat cheaper here on head-fi. Though it's kind of a bother that I'll also have to buy another PSU with that.
Is there an amp that boosts significant improvement over the headstage Arrow 3g amplifier, which can also amp speakers, at a somewhat affordable price? Say 150~ eu? Or need that be alot more expensive for being somewhat decent?

Mar 31, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

I'd say an amp to drive the speakers... unless you're looking at powered/active speakers. in that case a pair of Fostex PM0.3's is an option.

Hi Lenni, I'm interested in the PM0.3... how does it compare to the Audioengine's A2 do you know? Thanks a million!

Apr 1, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #6 of 7
I've never heard the PM0.3's, sorry. here is a recent review. I'd say they're more neutral than the A2's. Audioengine's speakers are somehow more fun, but somewhat less neutral.

whichever you go for, it would be a good idea to put them on stands so that the tweeters are level and pointing at your ears, and to get and external DAC or soundcard.

best

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
I've never heard the PM0.3's, sorry. here is a recent review. I'd say they're more neutral than the A2's. Audioengine's speakers are somehow more fun, but somewhat less neutral.

whichever you go for, it would be a good idea to put them on stands so that the tweeters are level and pointing at your ears, and to get and external DAC or soundcard.

best

Hi Lenni, thanks so much for your reply and advice about stands. Yep, I'm planning to get a DAC definitely. Can't wait! Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back