Best Bang for Buck amp for HD800s-Should I upgrade my amp?
Dec 28, 2014 at 6:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

marios_mar

Headphoneus Supremus
I read a variety of opinions about the amplification of the HD800s and it seems that most people claim that the Sennheiser flagship cannot reach its full potential (or anywhere near that) unless they are amplified by a good matching high end amp. 

Are there any bang for buck options for the amplification of those headphones which get you 99% there? Which suggestions would you have? 

I will be using the DACmagic and Creek OBH-14 DAC  as well as a Thorens TD-150 with clearaudio virtuoso wood cartridge, with project tube box phono stage, as my sources. At the moment I just have a Creek OBH-11 with the large OBH-2 power supply  and a Fiio E12 for portable use. While the sound is good I can't help my self wondering how much better it could get. 

I am not looking into spending too much money on this, and I will only buy used for best value. Will a budget under 400 usd used prevent me from amplifying the HD800s properly? Would I be better off with sticking with my HD600s, selling the 800s and buying a big buck amp for them? The 800s sound vastly superior to the 600s to me and I enjoy their sonic signature more, even with my current amp.

Or would I be better off with some extensive DIY mods for my OBH-11 and stick with that combo?  

Share your thoughts. Thanks

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #2 of 10
Schiit Vali, Valhalla 2, Bottlehead Crack , Matrix M-stage are the most often recommended options. :wink:

Dec 28, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #4 of 10
Check this review/impression of this little amp specifically reviewed with the HD800. http://www.head-fi.org/t/746688/the-lambert-play-it-by-ear-headphone-amplifier-dg-review-impressions-thread

Dec 28, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #5 of 10
I'm looking at the Lovely Cube ($300 fully assembled and shipped) or Schiit Lyr 2 ($500 shipped) as possible headphone amps for my HD800. Please tell me if any of you have tried this combination and what are your impressions of it. I will be using the Concero HD or Audioengine D1 or my onboard DAC (Supreme FX 2014 Formula) as source. I am just concerned about how well the mentioned amps play with the HD800.

Dec 28, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #6 of 10
http://www.beezar.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=153

The best under $400 amp for the HD800, IMO.  But you still need a good source.

I thought beezar also sold fully assembled torpedos for $400 but I can't seem to find them on the website right now.

Dec 29, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #7 of 10

I am not looking into spending too much money on this, and I will only buy used for best value. Will a budget under 400 usd used prevent me from amplifying the HD800s properly? Would I be better off with sticking with my HD600s, selling the 800s and buying a big buck amp for them? The 800s sound vastly superior to the 600s to me and I enjoy their sonic signature more, even with my current amp.

HD600+5k amp and source won't become 800s. The bold portion is already saying stick with your 800s. Crack w/speedball, Vali and Valhalla are some of the more common suggestions in this price range. I can vouch for Vali as I'm using it myself but ears I've trusted told me Valhalla's a clear step up and one of the best match for the 800s irregardless of price but I've no personal experience so the best I can say is go have a listen. You won't go wrong with Vali though not for that price. 

Dec 30, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #8 of 10
Bottlehead crack + speedball. You will see upgrading from it would be hard unless you spend a crazy amount of money.

Jan 6, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #10 of 10
Find a second hand Violectric V200. It's nice warm signature pairs perfectly with the HD800!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back