Best band ever Pink Floyd vs The Beatles
Jul 5, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
"she loves you yeh yeh yeh"

"And then one day you'll find ten years have got behind you, no-one told you when to run you missed the starting gun" <solo!>

Says it all.

Yes it does, thank you very much, when I listen to the beatles it is just so bubblegum and generic to me, like there isn't an emotion in the music deeper than the nearest thimble.

Jul 5, 2005 at 9:46 PM Post #32 of 42
lol PinkFloyd, you crack me up

I would also go with Pink Floyd, but only because my musical tastes are more suited toward them. The Beatles also get pretty boring quickly (imo), whereas I can listen to Pink Floyd for a decade and still view their material with high regard

Jul 5, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #33 of 42
Beatles. I'd also put The Doors, The Who, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Allman Brothers, CSN&Y and perhaps other bands ahead of Pink FLoyd (I guess Dylan doesn't count because he was more of a solo act and his bands were disassembled as quickly as they were assembled).

This is just my opinion, of course, and I really don't mean to offend those who disagree, nor do I intend to try to defend my views. Just my opinion, and not limited to The Beatles and Pink Floyd (as suggested by the thread starter). I think Pink Floyd has been more innovative and influential than some of the bands I've listed, but not 'better' in terms of the music itself. That said, I do love Pink Floyd and when the mood strikes, there is simply no alternative.

Jul 5, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Try listening to Piper at the gates of Dawn which was released on August 5th, 1967 and also listen to Sgt. Peppers which was released around the same time ........ who's the real deal? You can tell from track one who the real innovators are......

That's quite right, even though I do respect, love, and listen a lot to many Beatles albums.

I couldn't decide between both of the bands, because for me they are not really comparable. And I can say that despite being a prog lover.

Jul 6, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #35 of 42
Thank god we have different music in our lives to compare and select from. Really, the least important music is just as important as the most important music because it is the flip side of the same coin. In the end, it's all just music.

Jul 6, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #36 of 42
hey .. whats the point if your gonna give the answer first .....the best band ever pinkfloyd vs ... daaa beatles ...
orphsmile.gif
orphsmile.gif
orphsmile.gif

Jul 6, 2005 at 3:09 AM Post #37 of 42
PF: Have you read Nick Mason's biography and experiences of the Floyd?

If so, then you must remember him pointing out that Syd was a brave person, because he liked the beatles while all his friends liked the Stones... Pink Floyd released their first LP in 1969 - The Beatles were well known by the time that Syd had formed the band.

Jul 6, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #38 of 42
At first, I assumed this wasnt a serious topic. I am, and have been, since the early days, a big fan of Pink Floyd, but really? Is there even a question here?
The Beatles are likely the most significant band in the history of modern music, very possibly all of music.
Their status, in fact, eventually far exceeded what music alone could bring, and a very good case has been made that they may have been the primary cultural figures, and influences during one of the most important periods in modern history itself.
If you werent alive to see it all happen, you truly cannot imagine the impact they had. Nothing from the music, or entertainment world, before or after has even been close.

JC

Jul 6, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #39 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfall
At first, I assumed this wasnt a serious topic. I am, and have been, since the early days, a big fan of Pink Floyd, but really? Is there even a question here?
The Beatles are likely the most significant band in the history of modern music, very possibly all of music.
Their status, in fact, eventually far exceeded what music alone could bring, and a very good case has been made that they may have been the primary cultural figures, and influences during one of the most important periods in modern history itself.
If you werent alive to see it all happen, you truly cannot imagine the impact they had. Nothing from the music, or entertainment world, before or after has even been close.

Those are some pretty sweeping statements, and, while I appreciate them, I have to disagree. Music, especially modern popular music, is so diverse today that one group cannot hold absolute or near-absolute influence. As to the "greatest of all time"-type argument for the Beatles (or PF, for that matter), I just have to disagree. There has been so much brilliant music in the history of music that there are very few musicians that can have a legitimate claim to the title. Only two or three, if I count correctly, and none in the last hundred or so years.

Both of these bands are great, and it comes down to personal choice. Objective arguments for either are seemingly impossible.

Jul 6, 2005 at 5:50 AM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfall

JC

I think this is the key! I was alive, but too young to remember, and while the miles of screaming girls footage provides a glimpse, it's hard for me to grasp how pervasive Beatlemania was in terms of the cultural impact at the time.

People (like myself, really) now reading about The Beatles in the history books won't ever understand the impact they had.

Jul 6, 2005 at 8:55 AM Post #41 of 42
The question wasn't which band was the most influential, or historically important, it was simply which is the better band. Pink Floyd gets the most votes, probably because more of the voters like listening to Floyd than the Beatles. This doesn't surprise me, and I'm not sure it's even a fair comparison. Even though they are contemporaries, the difference in styles makes the Beatles sound significantly more dated. I know that when I was a teen, Pink Floyd was on the AOR stations with Led Zep and Metallica, while the Beatles were on the Oldies stations with Elvis and Buddy Holly. Thus, I imagine most people who voted for the Beatles are either old enough to remember Beatlemania, or children of Beatles' fans who grew up with it secondhand.

Jul 6, 2005 at 11:57 AM Post #42 of 42
The Beatles and Stones sure did change the direction of the Ed Sullivan show.
He and his producers were keen enough to see forsee the changing times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back