Best audiophile metal and rock albums
Apr 20, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #106 of 525

Quote:

*of note: I personally do not believe that it makes sense to record metal without compression. It is a very 2 dimensional sounding genre due to the wall of noise from guitar amps. Trying to make a metal album sound like it has the same overall sound signature as an orchestra recording simply won't work. Metal has been produced since the 80s and I feel that it is actually one of the harder genres to produce due to volume levels and dependency on . With acoustic instruments, you can talk about things like "air" and "dimension" because the sound is very 3D, very dependent upon surroundings. You typical don't mic a grand piano, add effects pedals, then amp it back out. Distorted guitar tone is amplified and artificial to begin with, especially since it doesn't exist without the speakers in the cabinet. Trying to find an audiophile recording in metal is a difficult task, to say the least. With all that said, I love metal, hardcore, death metal, 80s, 90s, and at least one band in all the sub-genres.

This is an interesting point.  I give as examples to support this, Deicide "Legion", Coroner "Punishment for Decadence", Spawn of Possession "Cabinet", have no clipping (and no compression, I'm assuming) and to me they sound too weak.  But "Miss Machine" and "Option Paralysis" are waaaay compressed and, to me, are too grainy and hard to keep listening to (I am assuming the compression is the cause of the way they sound).  I like me some compression somewhere in between, like the Norma Jean album you mention, much more listenable than DEP (except "Calculating Infinity", which I think was not too compressed).  And then there are those albums that I thought sounded ok, but found out later they clipped, and then sounded different after the fact.

Oct 25, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #108 of 525
Does anyone have Master of Puppets DCC they can post?

Oct 25, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #109 of 525
Havent read this whole thread, but a band called Haken has 2 albums out that are recorded very well. They are progressive metal, and one of my new favorite bands.

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #110 of 525
Ehh..just checked out Haken...not the kind of metal I'm into. Anyone have any ideas along the 80's metal genre?

Oct 27, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #111 of 525
Quote:
80's metal genre

Alright I have a SERIOUS problem with this ignorant statement. In the 80's every metal band did not just drop everything and start pushing BS HAIR METAL. Ever heard of Death, Candlemass, Celtic Frost/Hellhammer, Bathory, Obituary, ********* Metallica for christ's sake, Testament, DRI...... I could go on but holy god dude "80's metal" IS A TIMEFRAME NOT A GENRE

Oct 28, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #112 of 525
I'm a pretty huge fan of Roy Khan era Kamelot, and I feel like Poetry For The Poisoned is extremely well mixed and can benefit from some solid equipment. Their new album has a new singer, but he's quite excellent as well. I've been listening to it nonstop since I got my copy of SIlverthorn early. Their past few albums have been a mix of power/symphonic/prog, so they're not for everyone. Unfortunately I feel like Silverthorn is a bit compressed on some of the tracks, but I haven't yet taken the time to confirm if my suspicions are correct.

I also feel that some Savatage songs are good candidates as well, and they've got a much more 80s prog/heavy metal feel to them, but just as many. imo, are going to sound about the same. Not a reflection on my overall love for the band though - they, Maiden, and Kamelot are basically always jockeying in my head for the #1 favorite band spot.

The new Wintersun album is as good as the first. A bit overproduced at times, but definitely a strong candidate for giving a listen on audiophile equipment.

Oct 30, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #113 of 525
Quote:

Alright I have a SERIOUS problem with this ignorant statement. In the 80's every metal band did not just drop everything and start pushing BS HAIR METAL. Ever heard of Death, Candlemass, Celtic Frost/Hellhammer, Bathory, Obituary, ********* Metallica for christ's sake, Testament, DRI...... I could go on but holy god dude "80's metal" IS A TIMEFRAME NOT A GENRE

LOL dude..really? You seem to be a bit...over blown on this. I happen to call it 80's metal...of the groups you named....I'm familiar with Candlemass. However, I believe just about everyone else "understood" what I meant by the statement. If you have a serious "problem" with ridiculous crap like an accidental word addition at 11pm after a long nites work then perhaps you need to switch to a less caffeinated brand!

Oct 30, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #114 of 525
Quote:
I'm a pretty huge fan of Roy Khan era Kamelot, and I feel like Poetry For The Poisoned is extremely well mixed and can benefit from some solid equipment. Their new album has a new singer, but he's quite excellent as well. I've been listening to it nonstop since I got my copy of SIlverthorn early. Their past few albums have been a mix of power/symphonic/prog, so they're not for everyone. Unfortunately I feel like Silverthorn is a bit compressed on some of the tracks, but I haven't yet taken the time to confirm if my suspicions are correct.

I also feel that some Savatage songs are good candidates as well, and they've got a much more 80s prog/heavy metal feel to them, but just as many. imo, are going to sound about the same. Not a reflection on my overall love for the band though - they, Maiden, and Kamelot are basically always jockeying in my head for the #1 favorite band spot.

The new Wintersun album is as good as the first. A bit overproduced at times, but definitely a strong candidate for giving a listen on audiophile equipment.

Yeah I'm a big fan of Maiden, Priest, Crue, Dio, etc..back in the 80's our crew went to just about every one of their concerts in NYC. Off genre...I'm a huge Floyd fan, seen them a few times as well. Metallica of course...hard to say who hits number one. Ha..AC/DC always has a spot up there also. They still sound great after all these years. They're like my "go to" band after a bad day. I'm going to check out Kamelot. I'm not into death metal at all. Just not for me. Ha...have a few friends who are into it though...they mostly need hugs and a cookie I think...

:wink:

Thanks for the info!

Oct 30, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #115 of 525
I apologize that day was not going so well

Oct 31, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #116 of 525
Quote:
I apologize that day was not going so well

It's cool bro. We're all this together and into the same crap basically! I'm now auditioning some PFE232's and W4's on Maiden and Priest and am simply floored! LOL

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #117 of 525
I don't always necessarily want audiophile quality in metal. Take Slayer's Reign In Blood. It sounds fantastic. Everything sounds clean and precise. Perhaps too clean and precise. Hell Awaits, on the other hand, sounds filthy and raw. It fits the music better. One of several reasons why I consider HA a superior album to RIB is that production contrast. Then there's Carcass' debut, Reek of Putrefaction. Of all the albums in extreme metal, that album's production is among the most infamous. Filthy doesn't describe it. It's a mess. But you know what, it fit the music. Metal has different "rules" than jazz or classical when it comes to production. More or less, sometimes less is more.

Anyway, I read that Rage Against The Machine's first album is considered one of the ultimate audiophile albums. I never really thought if it, but yeah, the album does sound pretty much perfect.

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #118 of 525
Ill take the sound quality of Reign in Blood over Hell Awaits any day, with any genre.

Nov 6, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #119 of 525
Quote:
Ill take the sound quality of Reign in Blood over Hell Awaits any day, with any genre.

the sound of the bass drums on reign in blood is the most impactful i have ever heard on an album. especially the intro of criminally insane. and postmortem. every time i hear it with my lyr and my ahd 7000 it almost crack my skull.

Nov 7, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #120 of 525
Well get this...I am returning the PFE 232's...while they sound ******** amazing...the quality of the cord is just a deal breaker. They cost $600 bucks and the cable feels like it belongs on a $20 set of earbuds. No Bueno. I called Audeze and they told me they don't sell the cables...but they're under full warranty for 2yrs...I said to the lady on the phone...I'm sorry...but you don't sell a replacement cable...but will replace them for 2 years? She goes...yes sir...to which I reply...I'm sorry ma'am...some of us can't afford to spend $300/yr on earbuds...

She gets all quiet and goes...and no lie here...

Then don't go with these, the cable will have problems.

I was floored...total honesty...go figure.

We are aware there have been issues with the cable...and to my knowledge there are no aftermarket cables for these...then she whispers..send them back.

So...I ordered a set of Heir Audio 4Ai's to listen to my metal with! Now I have to step it up a notch and branch out from my norm...

So who has some ideas for something new to check out in the sound of AC/DC, Priest, Maiden?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back