Best audiophile metal and rock albums
Jan 14, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #79 of 525
I've always felt Alice in Chains unplugged is a phenomenal recording of a phenomenal performance. 

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #81 of 525
In terms of mixing & mastering, Boston's Third Stage is one of my all time favorites. I find its warm sound very appealing.

Jan 24, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #83 of 525

Quote:
This has probably been mentioned already: 
Dream Theater - Awake
Excellent production.

Audacity says Awake clips, haven't checked every track.  Actually, all of my Dream Theater albums show clipping.  To contribute something constructive, Necrophagist "Epitaph" seems well recorded.

Jan 25, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #85 of 525

I've seen a lot worse. Does it sound bad?
Quote:
Audacity says Awake clips, haven't checked every track.  Actually, all of my Dream Theater albums show clipping.  To contribute something constructive, Necrophagist "Epitaph" seems well recorded.

Jan 25, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #86 of 525

Quote:
I've seen a lot worse. Does it sound bad?

I agree, there are definitely worse...Metallica, ahem.  But snare drums don't seem very snappy and sometimes the vocals are grainy, not sure if this is the result of over-compression...like can I really really hear something that happens over a fraction of a fraction of a second?  I've seen some waveforms where they brickwall it, then bring the gain down so it doesn't actually hit zero, but the peaks are still chopped off.

Immolation "Majesty and Decay" seems like another good one.  And just learned about Psycroptic "(Ob)servant", treble kinda hot and drummer might be using triggers, but sounds pretty good overall, haven't checked waveforms yet.

Jan 25, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #87 of 525
Surprised it hasn't come up yet. 

Rush - Moving Pictures

Jan 26, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #88 of 525
Sorry, bad recommendation, Immolation and Psycroptic, waveforms not so good.  May not sound good on your high end system.  Time to get myself a crowbar so I can extract my foot from my mouth.

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #89 of 525
I don't have this one in flac, but for 192kbps mp3, it sounds damn good (may be due to lack of dynamic range compression)

Dio - Angry Machines

Also Rainbow - Long Live Rock 'N' Roll is a very nice album, very clear and precise (and I have this one in FLAC)

Van Halen - 1984 ripped from vinyl is probably my favourite album at the moment.

I am also itching to get a Dio - Lock Up The Wolves CD or vinyl rip for comparison to my youtube ripped 256kbps dynamic ranged compressed version.

Mar 9, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #90 of 525
http://myriadrecords.bandcamp.com/
Here I downloaded the schoenberg automatan 3 track ep in flac for free
Great prog/math metal band from Germany
Check it out
There is also an 8 track ep from friend for a foe in flac for free

Users who are viewing this thread

Back