Best audiophile metal and rock albums
Jun 23, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #16 of 525
Marius Muller - Plugged!

Jul 31, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #19 of 525
along with what has already been posted...i find most Dream Theater stuff to be very well produced, with a balanced mix of the instruments, no one is overpowering
wink.gif

Aug 1, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #21 of 525
Godsmack- The Other Side

Not super audiophile, but very good SQ nonetheless.

Aug 1, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #22 of 525
Speaking of Master of Puppets, anyone know where that horrible crackle/static in Battery crept into the mix, and why it wasn't removable for the DCC version? Just a question for my education. Generally it's not so bad, but through TripFi's it's really quite disturbing.

Aug 1, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #23 of 525
The best audiophile metal/rock albums are the prog ones: Pink Floyd, Symphony X, Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Crimson Glory, Genesis, Neal Morse, Subterranean Masquerade, Maudlin of the Well, Explosions in the Sky, The Gathering, Green Carnation all sound great in a high end headphone. Then there's the audiophile's favorite Dream Theater (not my favorite). The very best audiophile album could very well be Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon.

Other good album would be Mr Bungle - California.

Aug 1, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #25 of 525
Post-metal albums seem to be hit or miss on production, with some being very good, such as Wake/Lift by Rosetta, and others being very bad... like the Pelican album Australasia.

That said, Pelican is still freaking AWESOME.

Edit: Explosions in the Sky is not progressive metal. It's not even metal. It's instrumental post-rock.

Aug 1, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #26 of 525
Quote:

Originally Posted by festivus528 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Paradise Lost looks like a rectangle in Audacity.

True, that album was somewhat a disappointment, but DWoT, V and The Odyssey all have good production values.

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #27 of 525
I'm bored anymore by The Cowboy Junkies seminal audiophile rock album. But here's another I recently discovered: PJ Harvey's "Rid of Me" meets all the hard hitting critiera of being a genuine "audiophile rock album". Best percussion mastering I've heard in a long time. A little mentioned (among audiophiles), minimalist audiophile rock album.

Aug 6, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #28 of 525
Baroness's Red album has very impressive sound quality. If you like Mastodon, they're a great one to check out.

\m/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back