Best audiophile metal and rock albums
Feb 13, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #301 of 525
I have found quite a few CD's from the 80's that are far superior to later releases/remasters. A lot of the Toshiba Black triangle releases from Japan blow away later remasters. For example The Dark side of The Moon Black Triangle is better in my opinion than the latest 24/96 versions. I have an 1984 Japanese release of Iron Maiden's Powerslave that is far better than the later remasters. I think a lot of it has to do with the condition of the master tapes. Over time and use master tapes degrade. Also a lot of CDs now incorporate compression which I don't think is ever a good thing in a remastering.

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #302 of 525
I have found quite a few CD's from the 80's that are far superior to later releases/remasters. A lot of the Toshiba Black triangle releases from Japan blow away later remasters. For example The Dark side of The Moon Black Triangle is better in my opinion than the latest 24/96 versions. I have an 1984 Japanese release of Iron Maiden's Powerslave that is far better than the later remasters. I think a lot of it has to do with the condition of the master tapes. Over time and use master tapes degrade. Also a lot of CDs now incorporate compression which I don't think is ever a good thing in a remastering.

Most of the early CDs didn't use the actual master tapes. It's believed that the DSOTM master tape wasn't used until the MFSL release. I'm not saying the MFSL is better than the BT, but your hypothesis might be wrong.

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #303 of 525
~~It is believed that this mastering was made from a 15ips reel-to-reel tape copy of the master tape that had been sent to Japan to produce the Dark Side Of The Moon-EMI/Toshiba Records Pro-Use Series vinyl LP album, which was the last vinyl pressing of Dark Side in Japan -Pink Floyd Archives

You are right, it was not made from the master. Even if it was made from a copy of the master tapes my statement still stands. Through time and use magnetic tape degrades. It can be argued that even a copy made from a master tape 5 to 10 years after it was produced and then mastered to CD is superior to a mastering from the actual master tape 30 to 40 years later. The MFSL version of TDSOTM is very good and it's almost splitting hairs as to which version is better. The MFSL version was produced in 1988 so master tape degradation doesn't really apply. To my ears the Black Triangle version has far fewer anomalies.

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #304 of 525
Back in the Eighties, there was band called Burning Tree, who only released one (self-titled) album. There is apparently a completely different band around these days with the same name, which confuses things. Anyhoo, the originals were a classic psychedelic power trio, minus the self-indulgence. Short, punchy Hendrix-esque solos on top of a rhythm section with genuine muscle. Some really good songs, too.

I did a vinyl rip of my copy a few months ago, and as I went through the files in Audacity looking for ticks'n'pops, I realised I'd forgotten how good it sounded. 

Mar 3, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #310 of 525
Can anyone recommend your favorite instrumental metal album?

Try the following artist albums:

Joe Stump, Michael Angelo Batio, Andy James, Vinnie Moore and Joe Satriani :wink:

Apr 1, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #315 of 525

Mad Season's Above.

Alice in Chains meets Pearl Jam, and they play some sabbath-esque tracks.  

Excellent album. River of Deceit for me is the best song.  OMG I swear, it just came up on shuffle as I wrote the word song and i have 3,000 songs on the folder. Holy Crap no joke!  Had to listen to it twice :)

I wish a high rez would be available. I may rerip it into 16/96 flac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back