Best Audio Quality Portable MP3 Player
Aug 14, 2010 at 8:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Goldenhead

New Head-Fier
I am in the market for a new MP3 player.  Debating between Sony X Series Walkman and iPod Touch or Nano.  My absolute top priority is the audio quality.  Although the Sony certainly gets better reviews, I use my current Nano with a separate portable headphone amp (Ray Samuels Protector) and high end headphones (Ultrasone).  The amp bypasses the Nano headphone jack and is connected to the proprietary iPod cable.  If I use the same approach with a new Touch or Nano will I get better sound than the reviewers give the iPod credit for?  The Walkman gets far superior reviews in terms of audio quality versus iPod, but I am concerned that when running it through my amp I will lose that advantage.  It does not seem to have a "line out" connector which I believe would be best.  Any imput is much appreciated.  Thanks

Aug 15, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
I am in the market for a new MP3 player.  Debating between Sony X Series Walkman and iPod Touch or Nano.  My absolute top priority is the audio quality.  Although the Sony certainly gets better reviews, I use my current Nano with a separate portable headphone amp (Ray Samuels Protector) and high end headphones (Ultrasone).  The amp bypasses the Nano headphone jack and is connected to the proprietary iPod cable.  If I use the same approach with a new Touch or Nano will I get better sound than the reviewers give the iPod credit for?  The Walkman gets far superior reviews in terms of audio quality versus iPod, but I am concerned that when running it through my amp I will lose that advantage.  It does not seem to have a "line out" connector which I believe would be best.  Any imput is much appreciated.  Thanks

This is the correct section for your comparison question, and most will agree that the Sony X Series is the better for SQ between the 2.

Now, please be patient, another Head-Fi member will come and give you a more "in depth" comparison. I'm too tired (I worked today), and it's Sunday night, so don't rush it - help will come.

Aug 16, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #5 of 13
I can't do an in-depth because I never owned the Sony X. But when I tried it out at Can Jam, it was better than my iTouch. Keep in mind, the only lossless codec that Sony supports is WAV.

EDIT: I reread your post: The Sony Walkman and iTouch both have LODs you can use with your amp. Just look up Sony Line-Out Dock, Fiio makes one, and so does ALO Audio.

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #6 of 13
I got my Sony DAP LOD from eBay: http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=sony+LOD&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

Much cheaper, and the quality is quite good.

Aug 16, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #7 of 13
Some of the older series walkmans have a better LOD out than the new models.
Some posts in these forums claim the S545 and S745 have better headphone outs than lineouts.
I have a LOD for my A828 and the lineout is good IMO.

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #9 of 13
I had the D2+ and was pleasantly surprised by the sound quality and all the custom EQ settings available.

In fact, I was a little bit overwhelmed at first of all the customizable settings since I only used my ipod touch prior. But after a little bit of trial and error, the BBE+ and all the goodies blow apple's sound quality out of the water. D2+ also plays almost all files except .aac and some other I forgot.

Check them out because I find the touch's SQ distasteful after being exposed to D2+

Also J3 or S9 are both made by the same company

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #10 of 13
Yes i love my mac, but i have to say the SQ and particularly EQ of the iPods and iPhones i feel has been sadly neglected by Apple.
I would recommend the older model walkmans A series over the new S series, or the X series if you can afford it.
The Walkmans will play AAC files so dont need to transcode from iTunes downloads.
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 17, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #12 of 13
OK I now understand that both the iPod and the Sony Walkman X have line out cables.  In fact ALO makes a great one for the Sony.  My next question is, "Does anyone out there have a definitive list of which types of music files the new iPod will play and which types the X will play/"  Thanks

Aug 18, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #13 of 13
here are the x specs.

http://www.sonystyle.com.hk/ss/product/walkman/nwz_x1060_e.jsp

i got my LOD on Ebay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back