Best audio combination for on line pc gamer and rock in roll listener
May 23, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #31 of 64
The DT990s have emphasized bass and treble. If you would like something a bit more natural sounding, I would look into the Sennheiser HD 598s.

The DT990 250 ohm would be easier for your Essence One to drive. I would go for them.

Seconded!  *waves to cel4145*

May 23, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #32 of 64
Elmoe, take your attitude and this conversation elsewhere. The articles are pertinent to the OP, your arguing is not, and much of your information is false and/or misleading... FR can only be used to infer tonal response/balance, not quality. Perhaps the difference between different ohm models is negligible... but the way amps respond may not be. Unless you have heard both models, it's probably wise to just let one man's opinions be.

To the OP, DT990's are a fantastic value with great comfort, historical long-term support from Beyerdynamic, good details and imaging, and a fun/engaging sound. If you're worried about the bright treble, Sennhesier 598 or 558's could work, or AKG's K612 Pro. Those all have a more balanced sound. The 250 ohm DT990's are hard to contend with at market prices.

May 24, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #33 of 64
  Elmoe, take your attitude and this conversation elsewhere. The articles are pertinent to the OP, your arguing is not, and much of your information is false and/or misleading... FR can only be used to infer tonal response/balance, not quality. Perhaps the difference between different ohm models is negligible... but the way amps respond may not be. Unless you have heard both models, it's probably wise to just let one man's opinions be.

To the OP, DT990's are a fantastic value with great comfort, historical long-term support from Beyerdynamic, good details and imaging, and a fun/engaging sound. If you're worried about the bright treble, Sennhesier 598 or 558's could work, or AKG's K612 Pro. Those all have a more balanced sound. The 250 ohm DT990's are hard to contend with at market prices.

The articles are not pertinent considering first of all, they're about a different headphone, and second of all, the author himself said it was placebo. Not to mention the headphones will be driven from a soundcard, so even mentioning the 600ohm version as a possible alternative (at a hundred dollars more, for no gain whatsoever) is ridiculous to begin with.

What is in your opinion then, the difference between tonal response/balance and quality? The drivers are exactly the same, so is the cup design. How is there any gain in "quality"?

I have heard both models, extensively, before I bought my own DT990 250ohm.

May 24, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #34 of 64

The articles are not pertinent considering first of all, they're about a different headphone, and second of all, the author himself said it was placebo. Not to mention the headphones will be driven from a soundcard, so even mentioning the 600ohm version as a possible alternative (at a hundred dollars more, for no gain whatsoever) is ridiculous to begin with.

What is in your opinion then, the difference between tonal response/balance and quality? The drivers are exactly the same, so is the cup design. How is there any gain in "quality"?

I have heard both models, extensively, before I bought my own DT990 250ohm.

I get the feeling that you just want to argue for arguments' sake. If you want to discuss the science further, perhaps a separate thread or PM would work better. I won't entertain you here.

May 24, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #35 of 64
  I get the feeling that you just want to argue for arguments' sake. If you want to discuss the science further, perhaps a separate thread or PM would work better. I won't entertain you here.

Why not? The OP already chose headphones, nobody will be bothered by a discussion in this thread.

I want to argue because people like you and cel4145 give wrong information to people making them waste money on supposedly "better" gear which is not actually better at all. From your posts I gather you have actually compared both headphones yourself right?

Saying tonal response/balance and quality are different when speaking of 2 headphones that are built the same way is not science, but nevertheless, I'd be interested to see you try to spin it that way.

May 24, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #36 of 64
Not to mention the headphones will be driven from a soundcard, so even mentioning the 600ohm version as a possible alternative (at a hundred dollars more, for no gain whatsoever) is ridiculous to begin with.

Great. Now you have called the OP ridiculous because he's the one that brought the 600 ohm headphones up. He's just here for help. No reason to belittle him. It was a good question.

I want to argue because people like you and cel4145 give wrong information to people making them waste money on supposedly "better" gear which is not actually better at all.

Making it up as you go along? I didn't recommend that the OP get the 600s. In fact, I was the one who said those headphones would not be my choice to go with that soundcard. This all started because of your opinion about those frequency response graphs--which, btw, everyone else has disagreed with (an no I have no interest in rehashing that). So I agree with jodgey4. Time for you to move on, especially if you are going to continue to misrepresent what others have said, insult the OP, and just show general disrespect for whomever you disagree with.

May 24, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #37 of 64
I have not heard both... not even one of them. We all mostly agree that the 600 ohm model is probably not the best choice, and probably offers miniscule to no difference.

However, different ohm headphones respond to the same amp differently. You wouldn't use a Bottlehead Crack on the 32 ohm model, though it would be great with the 600 ohm model. On the same amp, the higher ohm model should have a higher damping factor, less THD, and perhaps a different (more flat) frequency response if the output impedance of the amp is very high when coupled with the non-linear impedance across the driver. [Not knowing coil structure, I cannot comment on the influence thereof.] These are all objectively measurable. Would anyone notice? Probably not. Is the 600 ohm model even worth considering in any circumstance? Other than when using an OTL amp, I'd feel safe saying 'no'. The 250 ohm version actually is the most sensitive per mW IIRC, and should play nice with many sources.

I have no doubt cel4145 heard a difference. It could be due to any number of factors... it could've been something as wacky the weather. (No joke... you can see the effect of weather when Tyll was doing some AKG Q701 burn-in tests.) It could've been the higher impedance. I do not, and probably will never know. He has a good reputation around here, is a wealth of knowledge, and of a helpful and generous spirit... so I'm quite inclined to believe him when he says he heard an improvement, no matter how small.

I hope that clears up my view.

May 24, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #38 of 64
I have no doubt cel4145 heard a difference.

It wasn't me. It was PurpleAngel who heard both. I jumped in because of his statement that because the frequency graphs look the same, that means they must sound the same.

And I have never compared them, but I would agree with your points about the amplifier used probably being the most significant factor for difference. But if it comes down to subjective impressions of how they compare, I would certainly take PurpleAngel's opinion over someone who seems to believe that he is infallible. LOL

May 24, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #39 of 64
It wasn't me. It was PurpleAngel who heard both. I jumped in because of his statement that because the frequency graphs look the same, that means they must sound the same.

My mistake, and yes, that's what got me scratching my head. My compliments stand, and extend to Purple as well... good community here
beerchug.gif

May 24, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #40 of 64
  I have not heard both... not even one of them. We all mostly agree that the 600 ohm model is probably not the best choice, and probably offers miniscule to no difference.

However, different ohm headphones respond to the same amp differently. You wouldn't use a Bottlehead Crack on the 32 ohm model, though it would be great with the 600 ohm model. On the same amp, the higher ohm model should have a higher damping factor, less THD, and perhaps a different (more flat) frequency response if the output impedance of the amp is very high when coupled with the non-linear impedance across the driver. [Not knowing coil structure, I cannot comment on the influence thereof.] These are all objectively measurable. Would anyone notice? Probably not. Is the 600 ohm model even worth considering in any circumstance? Other than when using an OTL amp, I'd feel safe saying 'no'. The 250 ohm version actually is the most sensitive per mW IIRC, and should play nice with many sources.

I have no doubt cel4145 heard a difference. It could be due to any number of factors... it could've been something as wacky the weather. (No joke... you can see the effect of weather when Tyll was doing some AKG Q701 burn-in tests.) It could've been the higher impedance. I do not, and probably will never know. He has a good reputation around here, is a wealth of knowledge, and of a helpful and generous spirit... so I'm quite inclined to believe him when he says he heard an improvement, no matter how small.

I hope that clears up my view.

He hasn't heard both, much less any of the 2.

Take anyone's opinion you want cel4145, if you guys want to waste money on hocus pocus that's your prerogative. In the meantime, two people are arguing and it seems neither of them have ever done a direct comparison. One of them apparently never even heard either. 
rolleyes.gif

edit: seems neither of you ever heard either. I think we can end this here. 
rolleyes.gif

May 24, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #41 of 64

He hasn't heard both, much less any of the 2.

Take anyone's opinion you want cel4145, if you guys want to waste money on hocus pocus that's your prerogative. In the meantime, two people are arguing and it seems neither of them have ever done a direct comparison. One of them apparently never even heard either. 
rolleyes.gif

For the one calling for objective differences, I see you have nothing to say to my response. Also, it's a moot point as to who heard them.
We have not said to get the 600's, and I did not defend PurpleAngel's recommendation. I don't know why you think we are supporting 'hocus pocus' or money wasting. We have repeatedly tried to explain our views to you, and to clarify them. For the third time, I do not see why you would spend money to get the 600 ohm version. I can repeat it a fourth time if you'd like. You need to leave this thread and stop insulting us and manipulating our words.

May 24, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #42 of 64

For the one calling for objective differences, I see you have nothing to say to my response. Also, it's a moot point as to who heard them.
We have not said to get the 600's, and I did not defend PurpleAngel's recommendation. I don't know why you think we are supporting 'hocus pocus' or money wasting. We have repeatedly tried to explain our views to you, and to clarify them. For the third time, I do not see why you would spend money to get the 600 ohm version. I can repeat it a fourth time if you'd like. You need to leave this thread and stop insulting us and manipulating our words.

Why would I bother answering you when we already discussed the effects of different amplifiers at length, and are in agreement? You didn't bother reading the thread, that's fine, but I'm not going to repeat myself a third time...

I'm not manipulating anything. You people are saying very clearly that 2 headphones, the DT990 250ohm and 600ohm, that have the same frequency response, have different sound quality. That's just plain wrong. For this particular model, if the frequency response is the same, then the quality is the same. You've been arguing that there is some "magical quality" that can't be seen on a frequency graph - that's what I call hocus pocus pseudo science, and I've yet to see any of you provide any argument to the contrary. You may not have urged the OP to buy the 600ohm version but a curious person wanting to choose between the two might be swayed by what you're saying, which I'm sorry to tell you is just not correct. I've even been told I misunderstand how to read a frequency response graph when it is in fact the complete opposite - you seem to be the ones misunderstanding the fact that "sound quality" and "identical frequency response" for the same drivers in similar housing mean the same thing.

As far as amplifiers are concerned, if the same amp can properly drive both headphones, then there will be no difference whatsoever in sound quality/sound signature. Not only does that make sense from a science point of view, I have done the comparison myself and came to the same conclusion.

Now if you want to believe there is some "magical" property that cannot be measured that will make the 600ohm version sound better than the 250ohm when both are properly driven by the same amp (which is what people have been arguing about here), then it's subjective pseudo-science indeed.

In fact the ONLY way one of them sounds better than the other is if the amplifier is at fault - meaning that it has trouble driving a 600ohm load, and so the 250ohm version will sound better. There is no possibility of the 600ohm version sounding better, it can only sound "just as good" at the most.

May 24, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #43 of 64

We have not said to get the 600's, and I did not defend PurpleAngel's recommendation. I don't know why you think we are supporting 'hocus pocus' or money wasting. We have repeatedly tried to explain this to you. You need to leave this thread and stop insulting us and manipulating our words.

I do think the DT990 600-Ohm sounds a little better then the DT990 250-Ohm, but the DT990 600-Ohm is only worth it if you can buy it used for around $200
I own the DT770 (80 & 250) and DT880 (250 & 600)
The DT880 250 and DT880 600 really sound about the same to me, so its really hard to justify getting the DT880 600
You pump enough juice into the DT770 80 and DT770 250 and they also sound alike

I also depend on this thread for some of my opinions on the Beyers.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

May 24, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #44 of 64

I do think the DT990 600-Ohm sounds a little better then the DT990 250-Ohm, but the DT990 600-Ohm is only worth it if you can buy it used for around $200
I own the DT770 (80 & 250) and DT880 (250 & 600)
The DT880 250 and DT880 600 really sound about the same to me, so its really hard to justify getting the DT880 600
You pump enough juice into the DT770 80 and DT770 250 and they also sound alike

I also depend on this thread for some of my opinions on the Beyers.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

And sorry to say, but that is subjective. There is no way you would be able to tell both apart in a double blind test when properly driven.

As for the worth, 200usd is still a hundred dollars more than a used DT990 250ohm. Why pay double the price for the same thing?

May 24, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #45 of 64

And sorry to say, but that is subjective. There is no way you would be able to tell both apart in a double blind test when properly driven.

As for the worth, 200usd is still a hundred dollars more than a used DT990 250ohm. Why pay double the price for the same thing?

I've driven both my DT990s with at least three different sources (configurations). 
Yes I could tell them apart in a blind test, the DT990 600-Ohm has a better controlled bass, it's that noticeable.
A used DT990 Pro 250-Ohm headphone that sells for $100 is a fairly old and beat up headphone.
I picked up my (basely used) DT990 600-Ohm for a little over $200 and they were in like new condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back