Best Around-ear Headphones for office (with good bass)?
Jan 25, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #17 of 27
I am sorry matt but the momentum is one of the failures for Sennheiser in my eyes. Momentum doesn't have a lot of bass nor is it that tight. It's pretty loose and overall sound seems to be going no where. I am though excited for the new HD8.

Jan 25, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #18 of 27
I am sorry matt but the momentum is one of the failures for Sennheiser in my eyes. Momentum doesn't have a lot of bass nor is it that tight. It's pretty loose and overall sound seems to be going no where. I am though excited for the new HD8.

I disagree. The Momentum is not the typical Sennheiser sound - but I wouldn't call it a failure. I think it is fairly neutral and smooth - which is something you don't get from most Sennheisers.

Jan 25, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #19 of 27
I disagree. The Momentum is not the typical Sennheiser sound - but I wouldn't call it a failure. I think it is fairly neutral and smooth - which is something you don't get from most Sennheisers.

I'm not putting the Momentum up against other Senneheisers here I'm just looking at the Momentums alone. The bass is there but loose, soundstage weird (kinda in a way like K701 if you know what I'm saying)
I'm not saying these are failures(I put it in a wrong way), but that it is overrated, massively. Just look at, say, What HIFI they gave it headphone of the year. I just don't get it. A better option would be Martin Logan Mikro 90s or PSU1

Jan 28, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #20 of 27
Nimbo, thanks I'm in los angeles so I'll keep an eye for a meet in this area

Guys, I got the dt770 and they sound AWFUL when using them with my iphone...they become very distorted at the higher volumes and sound terrible...I understand there are portable amplifiers but I don't really want to go that route, just a good set that will work without an amp or maybe has a built in amp...

The dt770 do sound nice on my MacBook tho...but then again I need the headphones mainly for use my iphone at work...

What do you guys think?

Jan 28, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #21 of 27
There is a BIG meet at the South Coast Plaza Westin in March!!!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/694899/official-2014-socal-head-fi-meet-march-22-2014-westin-south-coast-plaza

Jan 28, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #22 of 27
The Skullcandy? No. Gawd No. I would rather see you buy Beats.

This actually made me laugh out loud. :)

I use the Denon AH-D2000 at the office, but there's 3 big problems for the OP:

1) They're discontinued (what a damn shame),
2) They're probably way out of your price range,
3) They bleed a fair amount of sound, to the point of just barely qualifying as "closed".

Jan 30, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #23 of 27

Guys, I got the dt770 and they sound AWFUL when using them with my iphone...they become very distorted at the higher volumes and sound terrible...I understand there are portable amplifiers but I don't really want to go that route, just a good set that will work without an amp or maybe has a built in amp...

The dt770 do sound nice on my MacBook tho...but then again I need the headphones mainly for use my iphone at work...

What do you guys think?

I've had no issue driving the DT770 Pro-32 directly out of an iPhone 4S. The audio quality of the iPhone 5/5S is supposedly worse than the 4S, but it shouldn't sound as bad as you describe. Also, this wouldn't cause a problem exclusively for the iPhone, but if you are using velour pads, I've heard they alter the sound signature in a negative way, especially in the bass department.

If you really find the DT770 lacking out of your iPhone, you might want to consider the Custom One Pro. It is somewhat easier to drive at 16 ohms and is more of a bass head can than the DT770, with the adjustable bass level slider. However, when I tried both the DT770-32 and COP, I preferred the DT770-32 for its wider soundstage and improved detail/clarity.

These two reviews from Headfonia might help with your decision, they do a pretty good job of comparing and contrasting the DT770 and COP: (Anniversary Edition is identical to the current DT770 Pro-32)

http://www.headfonia.com/the-beyerdynamic-we-love-dt770-anniversary-edition/

http://www.headfonia.com/beyer-custom-one-pro-definition-of-cool/

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #24 of 27
Yeah... I am a little surprised at how much the m100s bleed considering they advertise the "noise isolation".
I have had them for 3 days. I was at work today. I was listening to music for an hour. The last song I listened to before I took my cans off was "Personal Jesus". My co-worker turns to me and says "you should really check Violator"

Sorry. As a recent owner of the m-100s just throwing my thoughts out there. You are paying for and getting a lot of features not available in the comparable sounding cans. 
I would say that there are 150$ and 200$ cans in the same SQ range. But they do not come with hard cases. Two cables. Mic options. Fold up. Mega portability. The option to input two sources at one time. The option to customize. and a DAMN sext desing. (hey dont get me wrong there are plenty of AMAZING head phones designs out there, the V-moda look amazing... compared to the beats of the M-50s. its ZERO contest. I love beyerdynamic, akg, but the JP companies tend to have crap designs (and this coming from a guy a living in Japan, with a JP wife, with a love affair with JP cars. JP headphones/amps/dacs/ no thank you) 
I made the stupid jump to the m-100 price range because it literally met EVERY criteria I was looking for. 
And I don't regret it at all even though I really could not afford them. My life is for ever better for the, except for the extra 300g now hanging on my briefcase every day making it hang a little weird in my hand. 

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #26 of 27
  I've had no issue driving the DT770 Pro-32 directly out of an iPhone 4S. The audio quality of the iPhone 5/5S is supposedly worse than the 4S, but it shouldn't sound as bad as you describe. Also, this wouldn't cause a problem exclusively for the iPhone, but if you are using velour pads, I've heard they alter the sound signature in a negative way, especially in the bass department.

If you really find the DT770 lacking out of your iPhone, you might want to consider the Custom One Pro. It is somewhat easier to drive at 16 ohms and is more of a bass head can than the DT770, with the adjustable bass level slider. However, when I tried both the DT770-32 and COP, I preferred the DT770-32 for its wider soundstage and improved detail/clarity.

These two reviews from Headfonia might help with your decision, they do a pretty good job of comparing and contrasting the DT770 and COP: (Anniversary Edition is identical to the current DT770 Pro-32)

http://www.headfonia.com/the-beyerdynamic-we-love-dt770-anniversary-edition/

http://www.headfonia.com/beyer-custom-one-pro-definition-of-cool/

Honestly I don't think the Custom Ones will be much better since like I said the 770 were great sounding with the MacBook but very lacking with the iphone...

Are there any headphones with builtin amps?

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #27 of 27

What do you guys think?

Is there any kind of EQ or bass boost etc on the iphone? If so turn all of that stuff off and then try again. Many portable devices crank up the bass and treble to make up for the fact that a lot of portable ear buds etc are crappy. With the DT770s you want all that stuff turned off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back