Best Around-ear Headphones for office (with good bass)?
Jan 23, 2014 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

kingcobra1215

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I'm new here. I was looking around for info regarding the best around-ear headphones and landed on this site. Thought I would post so I don't have to keep buying and trying new headphones.

So here's what I'm looking for, headphones to wear at work in my cube without bothering the people next to me that have good bass, so probably closed headphones with good isolation.

I've tried and didn't like:
1- Audio-Technica ATH-M30 Cons: On the ears, lonnnnggg cord, little to no bass
2- Bose AE2i Cons: Very low volume, barely any bass, seem to be cheap quality
3- Vmoda Cons: Leak alottt of sound, not comfortable for long periods
4- Panasonic RP-HTX7-W1 <--- These are the ones I'm currently using, they actually sound better than 1 and 2

I will be returning the Bose, which around the ear headphones should I get?

Thanks!

Jan 23, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 27
Interesting choices - not exactly the group I would picked. Are you driving these with your PC or a mobile player/phone?

Here are a few other choices - disclaimer: I have not heard these.
Sony MDR-1R
Logitech UE6000
Sennheiser Momentum (I have heard this one - might not have enough bass for you)
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro - 32 Ohm

Jan 23, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #5 of 27
It's mainly for use with my iPhone 5S at work so I wouldn't want an extra long cord.

I was looking at the Sonys but they are discontinued and that's generally not a good sign.

For the Logitechs they look pretty plasticy and cheap, and I don't need noise cancellation

Momentums, those def seem nice but a bit over my budget...and you said not much bass so I'm not sure I would like them.

They Beyerdynamic I've been looking at all day, but I'm not sure what the difference is between the 32, 80 and 250OHM? Forgive my ignorance :) Also it seems like the 32OHM don't have the nice ear paddings

Any other suggestions you may have?

Also, what do you think about these below?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AJIF4E/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1ZRATXHO4RBI8&coliid=I1TU9NCWKA0Q20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004FEEY9A/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1ZRATXHO4RBI8&coliid=IPK4T9YWYNRG2

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E1CSEMO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1ZRATXHO4RBI8&coliid=I3LNYC66S5SY1Z

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #6 of 27
lol - oh, I'm sorry, I thought you wanted good sounding headphones, not good looking headphones...

The 32 vs 80 vs 250 ohm are intended for different purposes. The 32 ohm are intended for use on mobile devices like an iphone. The 80 ohm are intended for connecting to devices that a little higher output impedance, like some studio or home audio hear, and the 250 ohm versions are for gear with even higher output impedance. If you using your iphone, you really don't want the 80 or 250 ohm versions, unless you are also willing to buy an external headphone amp.

The Sony 7506 is an old favorite - they are the studio version of the the Sony V6 - I have not heard those in many, many years and I really have no memory of them.

The Sennheiser 558 is an OPEN headphone - that means no isolation and it will leak sound so that others will hear.

The Skullcandy? No. Gawd No. I would rather see you buy Beats.

How about the Sennheiser HD280 Pro?

Also, You can buy replacement velour earpads for the DT770.
http://www.adorama.com/BDEDT770V.html?gclid=CJCH0rD_lbwCFas9QgodKiYAmQ

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #7 of 27
Thanks for the ohm explanation, I will def stick to the 32ohm. I'll need to buy the velour ear pads extra then, still not a bad deal for around $200

I didn't notice the sennheiser 558 were open headphones, thanks for the heads up.

I actually always thought skull candy is the worst of the worst, but I just noticed these in my search with high reviews and was reading something about them partnering with DTS for some new headphones so I thought something might have changed...either way they're off my list :)

Just curious, which headphones do you use? Which do you think are the best sounding closed headphones? I was really disappointed in the Bose AE2 I just bought, I really thought they would be a lot better...

Jan 24, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #8 of 27
I have *heard* much, much better headphones than I *own*. Going to audio shows and head-fi meets will do that to you. I have *briefly* been lucky enough to listen to the Audeze LCD-2 and LCD-3, Abyss, a few Stax, the AKG K1000, Sennheiser HD650, HD700 & HD800 and others. The best closed headphone I have heard? Hmm, maybe the Fostex TH900? I really want to hear the Audeze LCD-XC - I suspect that will easily become my favorite closed headphone, because the LCD-2 & LCD-3 are two of my favorites. I will say the best value in a closed headphone I have ever heard are a couple of modified Fostex T50RP planar headphones, one of which was the Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs. The Mad Dogs match my preferred signature - a bit on the warm side of neutral, silky smooth mids, excellent extension on both ends and a very detailed and textured sound that let's me hear each note as a distinct sound, not just a big boom and a big high. They are heavy and they need an amp.

I haven't got the cash to spend on the 'phones I want, so I make do with what I can afford, and I don't buy very often. I actually listen mostly to IEMs - an ancient pair of Westone UM-2 and a pair of Etymotic HF-3. At my office, I prefer IEMs for casual listening and I need the isolation.

I was given a pair of Bose AE-2 a few years ago as a gift from a vendor. I never listen to them.

Jan 24, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #9 of 27
Wow those are all extremely expensive headphones in my opinion, specially since I'm still a noob when it comes to good headphones but I'm sure like everything else they are worth the price tag.

I would go for IEM too but my ears tend to not like them for more than 30mins or so, and theres just something weird about plugging up your ears for long periods of time haha

I'm ordering the beyerdynamic dt770 as we speak...Please do share any other closed headphones that come to mind that are reasonably priced haha

By the way, how do the M50 compare to the dt770? I've read the 770 are much more comfortable...I have the m30 and not impressed at all...

Jan 24, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #11 of 27
you can get a pair of Momentums for $300 if you shop around. Probably the brown color way, but they are exquisite headphones for their price point. I can also tell you that the bass is plenty sufficient unless all you ever listen to is dubstep and drum n bass.... if that is the case get the VMODA M100s. 

Seriously though the Momentums you get what you pay for, they are superior. 

Jan 24, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #12 of 27
^ thanks, I already placed the order for the 770 so Ill try them out and see how they sound when they get here, if not ill return them and swap them out, it was pretty bad already for me to spend around $230 for them with the extra pads, to move to the momentums is an extra $100, I'm trying to go one step at a time haha

Jan 24, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #13 of 27
  ^ thanks, I already placed the order for the 770 so Ill try them out and see how they sound when they get here, if not ill return them and swap them out, it was pretty bad already for me to spend around $230 for them with the extra pads, to move to the momentums is an extra $100, I'm trying to go one step at a time haha

you should be quite happy with the 770s. 

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #14 of 27
Wow those are all extremely expensive headphones in my opinion, specially since I'm still a noob when it comes to good headphones but I'm sure like everything else they are worth the price tag.

I would go for IEM too but my ears tend to not like them for more than 30mins or so, and theres just something weird about plugging up your ears for long periods of time haha

I'm ordering the beyerdynamic dt770 as we speak...Please do share any other closed headphones that come to mind that are reasonably priced haha

By the way, how do the M50 compare to the dt770? I've read the 770 are much more comfortable...I have the m30 and not impressed at all...

Well, your question was: "Just curious, which headphones do you use? Which do you think are the best sounding closed headphones?" - you didn't specify a price range. And yeah, there are many tiers in this hobby and those that live in summit-fi land spend some SERIOUS money to get there. Which is why I only visit summit-fi (when I get the chance)...

If you ever have an opportunity to attend a head-fi meet - do it!! You can hear more headphones in one day than you could ever find in 10 years of looking in stores.

Jan 24, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #15 of 27
That's good to know, so summit-fi will be a place I will AVOID for now until I get rich haha

I'll definitely try to attend one of the meets if I get a chance, but again it might tempt me too much to start spending lots of cash on a new pair
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back