Best Android Music Player + How to Manage Playlists on Phone, PC & Watch
Sep 16, 2022 at 1:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Ridonculous

New Head-Fier
There are many bad things about Apple and it's 'walled garden' approach but I like the fact that I can create playlists in iTunes/Music app on my Mac and then sync that with my iPhone and AppleWatch. I can then use my watch to listen to music at the gym and never have to worry about carrying my phone.

I may switch to Android but I'm a bit surprised that there really isn't a stock solution by Google that allows for the exact same thing. I know there are many third party apps like USB Audio Player, Onkyo, etc. But with these third party apps, how exactly do you store your playlists and take them from one app to another?

For example, I have ~200 songs on my gym playlist. I do not want to have to recreate these playlists if I want to switch from one player to another. Is there a way to keep a playlist across apps? And is there a way to sync these same playlists to an Android watch like Samsung Galaxy Watches? And what is the default music player like for Samsung?

Sep 17, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #2 of 8
Are you using streaming apps at all, or just local files? Not sure how helpful this will be to you if you're not using streaming, but there are sites like Soundiiz and TuneMyMusic that allow you to sync playlists and libraries between streaming apps. I've been using Soundiiz and am pretty happy with it; I've heard TuneMyMusic is pretty good as well, and there are a few others.

Soundiiz will be able to export playlists from iTunes, Apple Music, Plex, and some other apps that can deal with local files, but not sure whether this will meet your use case. Just brainstorming here, you might be able to use something like Plex and transfer your files and playlists to Plex, and then use the Plex player on android. But this is not something I have any direct experience with.

Another thought is just to save all of your playlists as .m3u files, and transfer those over to android. I think it should be achievable to export .m3u from the apple ecosystem, but it's not something I've done in a long time so I don't know for sure.

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #4 of 8
The Bluesound app is good at aggregating almost every music service on Windows, Mac, Android, and iPhone. But you need to buy BluOS enabled hardware or Bluesound devices.

Samsung and many vendors add their own music players. I disable as much google crap as I can when I get a new Android phone and google music is one of the first to go. It is a dangerous piece of crap like most of their junk.

Sep 18, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #5 of 8
If you don't care about sound quality, Plex is outstanding in convenience. :wink:
At the risk of straying away from the topic at hand, what do you find to be lacking about plex, sound quality wise? Shouldn't it depend on the quality of your source files?

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #6 of 8
At the risk of straying away from the topic at hand, what do you find to be lacking about plex, sound quality wise? Shouldn't it depend on the quality of your source files?
No. I researched this for a long time, because it's very hard to find mention of compression anywhere. However, I noticed a lack of detail and subtlety almost from the beginning, but I overlooked it for a long time because of the convenience. If you can find the fine print, you'll find out that Plex does whatever it has to in order to keep the stream going. Plex likes to pretend everything is dependent on the source file quality, but it's not. Plex will resample and compress on the fly as it needs to, given network speeds and other server constraints. IOW, it's ever-present and non-defeatable.

Sep 20, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #7 of 8
Roon just went fully mobile today

Sep 20, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #8 of 8
Plex will resample and compress on the fly as it needs to, given network speeds and other server constraints. IOW, it's ever-present and non-defeatable.
Very, very interesting. Thank you. Super helpful.

Roon just went fully mobile today
This is the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back