Best Android dac/amp 100-200$
Apr 28, 2015 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

vontokkerths

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a good dac/amp combo for Android phones (iPhone too if it's possible) I heard the e18 or the ibasso d-zero mk2 - although I've heard bad things - but not much else, any recommendations? Will be paired with ath m50,shure se215(soon to be upgraded for something else) and could be paired with something like HD 598, momentum, etc.

Apr 29, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #2 of 23
You might consider just getting a FiiO X1 or X3K digital audio player, plug the headphones straight into the FiiO and only use the phone for phone calls.

Apr 29, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #4 of 23
The E18 is a good choice. Some people use usb dongle dac/amps like Audioquest Dragonfly. The Schiit Fulla is another USB dac/amp you might look into. Although these do not have internal batteries.

Be sure to verify that the dac/amp you choose works with your phone. Just because a dac/amp seems to work with Android, doesn't mean it pairs well with all Android phones and all versions of Android.

Also, some people will say a DAC/amp works with Android, but it only works with the USB Audio Recorder app. Not sure if that works with Google Music. So be sure to get one that works with all media apps on a phone instead of requiring an app :)

Apr 29, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #6 of 23
Apr 29, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #7 of 23
"The only other amp/DAC in the same price range that I own is E18, AFAIK. E18 has an overall more mature sound. Nothing night and day, but I'll say E18 is ahead of E5. Feature wise of course, E5 is hand down better. I am a big fan on aptX so my vote goes to E5 right now."

There are subtle sonic differences between DAC/AMPs...I personally think in the audiophile world subtle differences are maximized and exaggerated. I have not tested both but I am sure both have their strengths and weaknesses . I used to own an E17 by the way and I think E5 totally destroys it.

Apr 29, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #8 of 23
Plus the E5 is not just a DAC, It is also an ADC, It also has DSP which includes an EQ. also Bluetooth, micriophone, optical/analog in/outs .... totally owns fiio

Apr 29, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #9 of 23
There are subtle sonic differences between DAC/AMPs...I personally think in the audiophile world subtle differences are maximized and exaggerated. I have not tested both but I am sure both have their strengths and weaknesses . I used to own an E17 by the way and I think E5 totally destroys it.

So there are subtle differences between DAC/amps, but the E5 destroys the E17? So which is it? There are or there aren't subtle differences? You seem unsure of what you mean.

It's great that you are passionate about your dac/amp. But if you haven't heard the E18, you can't compare them or KNOW

Creative E5, No contest.

Then

Plus the E5 is not just a DAC, It is also an ADC, It also has DSP which includes an EQ. also Bluetooth, micriophone, optical/analog in/outs .... totally owns fiio

Yes. It has more features. But those only matter if they are useful to the OP. He'll have to decide if it "owns FiiO" or not based on that.

Apr 29, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #10 of 23
I meant dac/amps in the same class, Of course, audiophile grade dac/amps are better than introductory dac/amps. The E18 and E5 are in the same class based on the hardware,specs and price, Though I would give E5 the nod over E18. the CS4398 is a well known chip that many audiophiles prefer over other chips in the same class. 

Usable or not, I would put my money on a device that has more features.

Apr 29, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #11 of 23
The E18 is a good choice. Some people use usb dongle dac/amps like Audioquest Dragonfly. The Schiit Fulla is another USB dac/amp you might look into. Although these do not have internal batteries.

Be sure to verify that the dac/amp you choose works with your phone. Just because a dac/amp seems to work with Android, doesn't mean it pairs well with all Android phones and all versions of Android.

Also, some people will say a DAC/amp works with Android, but it only works with the USB Audio Recorder app. Not sure if that works with Google Music. So be sure to get one that works with all media apps on a phone instead of requiring an app
smily_headphones1.gif

That's something ive seen a lot, some dacs work but are useless with streaming services, i don't mind using an app but id like to have one that can properly work without much restrictions. Thanks for your recommendation. :) 

Apr 29, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #12 of 23

Being honest im not even near to understand every type of file, differences or terminology (you can say im quite new to this world and i have a LOT to learn such as what ADC,DSP,DSD, etc means. I felt as if the E5 had a lot of features and this isn't a bad thing but i wouldn't know where to begin to 'play' with it, lol, seems nice and well equipped, though. 

Apr 29, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #13 of 23
I meant dac/amps in the same class, Of course, audiophile grade dac/amps are better than introductory dac/amps. The E18 and E5 are in the same class based on the hardware,specs and price, Though I would give E5 the nod over E18. the CS4398 is a well known chip that many audiophiles prefer over other chips in the same class. 

Actually, audiophiles who know how DACs work will tell you that implementation of the DAC chip is more important than the chip itself. But no doubt. Some audiophiles do like to use the chip model for bragging rights :)

Apr 29, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #14 of 23
Being honest im not even near to understand every type of file, differences or terminology (you can say im quite new to this world and i have a LOT to learn such as what ADC,DSP,DSD, etc means. I felt as if the E5 had a lot of features and this isn't a bad thing but i wouldn't know where to begin to 'play' with it, lol, seems nice and well equipped, though. 

We all had to start somewhere :)

One way to think about is what your needs are. The E18 should have everything you need to hook up your phone :)

Jan 5, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #15 of 23
Any other ones to consider other than Fiio E17K, Fiio E18, and Creative E5?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back