Best and Worst Remake of Song:
Jul 14, 2004 at 5:26 PM Post #32 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax

worst: yeesh... um...

miles davis did an über-cheeseball soft-jazz version of michael jackson's "human nature" that i heard once... made me want to eat my own vomit.

Did you hear the one where Miles Davis did a cover of Cyndi Lauper's "Time after Time?" Oh lord, he even flubbed up on the melody, but probably couldn't be bothered to do a second take. WHY MILES WHY. It's like Orson Welles' last cinematic performance being Unicron on "Transformers:The Movie."

Jul 14, 2004 at 5:35 PM Post #33 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Did you hear the one where Miles Davis did a cover of Cyndi Lauper's "Time after Time?" Oh lord, he even flubbed up on the melody, but probably couldn't be bothered to do a second take. WHY MILES WHY. It's like Orson Welles' last cinematic performance being Unicron on "Transformers:The Movie."

woof. it's like he got some sort of musical brain-eating disease.

i had to go listen to 'birth of the cool' on repeat while drinking a bottle of vinegar to detox myself.
blink.gif

Jul 14, 2004 at 6:34 PM Post #34 of 194
Yes, Birth of the Cool - French Horn has never sounded so sexy.

Jul 14, 2004 at 6:34 PM Post #35 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by strohmie
I really think that his cover of Rocket Man by Elton John was worse. You haven't lived until you've seen the spoof Family Guy did on his performance.

The first song that comes to mind as being a good cover was that David Bowie song that Nirvana covered on MTV Unplugged. "Man Who Sold the World"?

http://www.farpointstation.org/files/sounds/shatner/transformed_man/William_Shatner_-_Rocketman_(64kbps,mono).mp3 - found a copy ... listen if you dare.

Jul 14, 2004 at 8:18 PM Post #37 of 194
SRV version of "VooDoo Child"(Hendrix)
Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt"

Jul 14, 2004 at 8:58 PM Post #38 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLeeWebb
"No Quarter" is my favorite song of all time. I have never heard the Tool version. What album is it on?

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
Salival Amazon link

They do a brilliant interpretation btw. Better than the original? Maybe.

Definitely better than the original, IMO - one of my all time favorites. Did you notice TOOL also changed the lyrics of the song?

To answer someone's question here - All Tool's albums are great but it may take some listening to digest them... I would go in chronological order, which is also from the "easier" ones to the more "complex"...

Going back to the thread's subject, other remakes that come to mind:

Guns'n'Roses - Knocking on Heaven's Door
Tory Amos - Amazing Grace , Purple Rain, Angie
Janis Joplin - Summertime
Pattie Labelle - Somewhere Over the Rainbow (one of the best IMO)

Jul 14, 2004 at 9:09 PM Post #39 of 194
Best: John Lennon's "Jealous Guy" redone by Brian Ferry. I also like the Cure's version of "Purple Haze".

Worst: Nothing can beat William Shatner's "Lucy in the Sky..." but "House of the Rising Sun" ..... by Andy Griffith really tries. (that's right....Andy of Mayberry)

Jul 14, 2004 at 9:25 PM Post #40 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArChaos
Definitely better than the original, IMO - one of my all time favorites. Did you notice TOOL also changed the lyrics of the song?

To answer someone's question here - All Tool's albums are great but it may take some listening to digest them... I would go in chronological order, which is also from the "easier" ones to the more "complex"...

Tool's 'No Quarter' is more epic. Hehe...I've got a sealed vinyl 'Undertow' in the mail on its way to me now.
cool.gif

Jul 14, 2004 at 10:23 PM Post #44 of 194
Another cover that I thought was decent was Pearl Jam's rendition of "Baba O'Riley". I have the DVD when they played at Madison Square Garden and it's a great song to watch at night with my 580's
lambda.gif

Jul 14, 2004 at 10:57 PM Post #45 of 194
i liked orgy's version of blue monday, but i also like smashing pumpkin's cover of "landslide" so i probably have odd taste. one of my favorite covers of all time is soul asylum doing "sexual healing." i'm sure a lot of people would think it's a tragedy, but i think it's incredibly humorous and it never ceases to make me laugh. tori amos does a bunch of really wonderful covers, but i think my favorites would be "time" by tom waits and "enjoy the silence" by depeche mode.

although it's more of a parody/satire, i think any song by Beatallica is just pure genius.

almost every cover i hear nowadays is really bad, especially the ones that seem to make their way to radio. however, the one that probably most recently pissed me off was g3 doing "little wing." it grew on me slightly after a few listens, but i still just don't understand how (probably) the most talented guitar players in the world can just butcher a song like that. what happened to jimi's awesome bluesy riffs and solo? instead, you get a bunch of scale-running sillyness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back