Best amps portable and desktop for HD650 under $350usd New Used or Refurbished
Mar 26, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #16 of 37
I would avoid tube amps and A-GD like a plague and instead get a ODAC/O2. That way you know you are buying something that actually has better real performance than the E9.

Lol Satellite. Get 'em. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with tube amps and A-GD.

I have various tube amps as well as various A-GD gear and I also own the O2. All are silky smooth with a cherry on top and no issues.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #17 of 37
Quote:
The Sabre should BE the DAC. It's one of the more popular, and ritzy, D/A chips on the market; along with the usual TI and AKM options.
redface.gif

EDIT: Just took a peek, yes the Sabre is the DAC in that box. The other one has a pair of mono D/As, the amp sections look identical from what AGD is spec'ing. I'd go with the 15.32 because:

- It's cheaper
- It looks to be the same amp on paper
- I've had good experiences with dual mono D/As in the past

But for all I know the Sabre based unit has some unseen advantage, which is why it costs ~$60 more.
I wouldn't say that for certain, what I meant was that some tube amps have inherently non-flat FRs (it's just by design), and if that meant boosted bass out of the box (e.g the amp's FR is naturally a few dB up at 100hz or so), plus a very high output impedance to drive the HD 650s, it'd be a fair bit of boost to the low-end.

As far as other OTL amps that seem popular, Woo Audio and Little Dot both get mentioned quite a lot. I also think Bottlehead will sell assembled (or mostly assembled) Crack amps, and Schiit makes an OTL (Valhalla? Vanguard? something like that).

Well the Valhalla is one of the top amps I wanted to try out so that might actually work out. I noticed that that same DAC was also on one the fancy Yulong amps. D18 or something like that. Runs about $750 so that's kinda of cool to see such a thing on an amp that only runs $299. But I know I don't know to much but reading the specs on both the 11.32 and 15.32 they were basically the same outside of the DAC so yah the 11.32 just move a little higher up on my list.

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #18 of 37
Quote:
I would avoid tube amps and A-GD like a plague and instead get a ODAC/O2. That way you know you are buying something that actually has better real performance than the E9.

Obviously the ODAC/O2 combo is high on the list by rep alone but why forget about the tube amps or A-dg gear?? Do you thinks it better to have individual units vs a hybrid amp/dac?? Or did you have bad experiences with them both??

Explain yourself sir!! 
biggrin.gif

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #19 of 37
Quote:
Having owned the HD650's now going on the seventh time, (I keep selling them thinking there is something better; which there isn't), I will say the HD650's like being paired with a warmer amp. I don't know if I'd consider the O2 and ODAC. While they are fantastic products, in the OP's rig, something on the warm side might work better. Right now, I've got the HE400s and the HD650s hooked into a V90 and let me say, the sound is sweet. I love being able to swap HF's without having to remove plugs. :)

My two cents.

Two cents greatly appreciated,

If anything you've made me feel a lot better about my relationship with the HE-400's which I am in the process of selling for the 3rd time. I still think they are probably the 2nd best Headphones I've ever listened to or owned but for some stupid reason I keep selling them within a month on owning them. Now of course I'm not losing any money on them but still, just silly to keep this behavior. I'm just happy to know that I'm not alone in this mess :) 

I agree with you though, I do believe something on the warmer side will be better for me but I'm keeping my options and my mind open. 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #20 of 37
They've arrived!!! Listening in right now using just the e17. There is enough power but just like on the He-400's I feel like there is still a lot more to be had. Will be plugging them into my Stack shortly. 

First impressions. Once you get over the initial clamp they seem to disappear on your head. Very light weight super comfy and I feel like they can be worn for hours on end with no issues. 

Good start, can't wait to see where this all goes. Just put on a little Killswitch Engaged live: End of Heartache and hot damn!! For a laid back can these bad boys can do metal!! Kick drums sound perfect and high hats don't have that nasty bite at louder volumes. I even cranked the treble up to the max to see what would happen and nothing. 

Not gonna lie, I'm already starting to drink the kool-aid. These things are special 

Please keep the recommendations flying in, the more that come the better. Once there have been a good amount of suggestions I'll throw up another Poll and the winner will be purchased as long as its within the budget/wife doesn't kill me 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Mar 26, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

Obviously the ODAC/O2 combo is high on the list by rep alone but why forget about the tube amps or A-dg gear?? Do you thinks it better to have individual units vs a hybrid amp/dac?? Or did you have bad experiences with them both??

Explain yourself sir!! 
biggrin.gif

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Individual units? No, I've just owned a hybrid amp and I didn't understand the draw of it, it just sounded distorted. Only what I have rad about A-GD gear has scared me a away.

BTW EQing with amps is a terrible idea, I have tried it and it is better just to use an EQ.

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #23 of 37
Quote:
Individual units? No, I've just owned a hybrid amp and I didn't understand the draw of it, it just sounded distorted. Only what I have rad about A-GD gear has scared me a away.

BTW EQing with amps is a terrible idea, I have tried it and it is better just to use an EQ.

The draw is pretty simple as I'm sure you know. Its one unit. No fuss no mess. Just one plug and boom your in. But of course its just like everything else in the electronics word. The more you have in one box the more things that can go wrong lol. I like the idea of hybrids but I may go with separate units myself this time. 

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Explain yourself sir!! 
biggrin.gif

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

I have the HD650's and drive them with a O2~ODAC, it is my compact "away from home" travelling rig. I travel a lot.

The one caveat I'd have about recommending the O2 is that the ergonomics and mechanical quality of the switches, jacks and pot of the standard BOM is very low. It is a shame that the ODA seems stillborn. The O2 concept is great and the electrical performance seems to meet the claims. The standard implementation leaves some to be desired as a long term daily user. No worries if you're a DIYer who can fix and modify. A little caveat if you're not.  

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

The draw is pretty simple as I'm sure you know. Its one unit. No fuss no mess. Just one plug and boom your in. But of course its just like everything else in the electronics word. The more you have in one box the more things that can go wrong lol. I like the idea of hybrids but I may go with separate units myself this time. 

I'm lost you seem to be saying that solid state amps are not one unit. 

Buy an ODAC/O2 and you'll have a single small unit that sounds better than tube amps and badly designed solid state amps also.

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

Buy an ODAC/O2 and you'll have a single small unit that sounds better than tube amps and badly designed solid state amps also.

I think DemonFox is using the word "Hybrid" wrong.

@Demon Hybrid amps are mix between tube and ss. Such amps like the Schiit Lyr, etc. That is totally different than what you are describing "Hybrid" amps to mean. The proper word is "all-in-one", combo, or AIO unit. Meaning one unit with an amp section and dac section (Burson HA-160D) vs. separate stand-alone units such as ODAC/O2.

Hope that clears things up.

Mar 27, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #27 of 37
Quote:
I think DemonFox is using the word "Hybrid" wrong.

@Demon Hybrid amps are mix between tube and ss. Such amps like the Schiit Lyr, etc. That is totally different than what you are describing "Hybrid" amps to mean. The proper word is "all-in-one", combo, or AIO unit. Meaning one unit with an amp section and dac section (Burson HA-160D) vs. separate stand-alone units such as ODAC/O2.

Hope that clears things up.

You are correct!! lol thanks for clearing that up for me. I was thinking that hybrid amps were AMP/DAC combos. 

Like I said, I'm still trying to figure this whole thing out one step at a time. I don't mind AIO units like my e17 or the HP-A3 or the Audio-GD stuff but I don't think a hybrid amp is something I'd be interested in now that I fully understand what that is. I like tube amps and SS amps but that doesn't mean I want them together in the same enclosure. 

Going back to amps, has anyone tried the Headstage Arrow 4g with the HD650's or higher impedance headphones? 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Mar 27, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #28 of 37
Quote:

Sorry, it wasn't you that was lost it was me. I had them mixed up. 

You really are all in on that ODAC/O2 aren't you. I like the fact that you have that much faith in it to power the 650's to great levels. It was already one of the top sets on my list and it keeps moving higher.

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

You are correct!! lol thanks for clearing that up for me. I was thinking that hybrid amps were AMP/DAC combos. 

Like I said, I'm still trying to figure this whole thing out one step at a time. I don't mind AIO units like my e17 or the HP-A3 or the Audio-GD stuff but I don't think a hybrid amp is something I'd be interested in now that I fully understand what that is. I like tube amps and SS amps but that doesn't mean I want them together in the same enclosure. 

Going back to amps, has anyone tried the Headstage Arrow 4g with the HD650's or higher impedance headphones? 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

The Arrow is a great portable headphone amp, punches way above its weight. It easily bests many of the 500+ amps I heard. But any portable amp sub 500 isn't going to give you that extra leap a good desktop amp will. Because the simple fact of space and footprint. Portables are limited because they can't be large. Don't get me wrong the I love my Arrow (despite piss poor service), it powers my HD 650 sufficiently, and actually does decent with the LCD-2.2 as well. But it doesn't have anything on my Burson. It is just a more refined, detailed, fuller sound on a desktop amp.

My thoughts on the O2 haven't changed. It is a great budget amp for anyone that is looking for practicality, neutral, and sufficient power for a wide variety of headphones. But to me, an amp should have character. Synergy is huge for me, hence why I bought an LG, but beside that amps that are "cold, neutral-ish, analytical" are just not good sounding to me. Now I do understand those that love the O2, and I'll be the first one to admit that it is a great piece of equipment, it just isn't my cup of tea.

Mar 27, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #30 of 37
It really is about personal preference. I've had the
Lyr, Asgard, EF-5 and others...and would take a
Bottlehead Crack over them hands down.
YMMV,
Hibuck...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back