Best amps for the Stax Sr-007 MkII.
Mar 12, 2011 at 12:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

PinkFlag

Head-Fier
I decided to buy the flagship Stax headphones and was wondering which amps would synergize best with them. I was looking at the WooAudio GES along with the Blue Hawaii and KGSS. Does anyone with experience with these headphones know which setups would work best with them?

Mar 12, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #2 of 10
I think you're looking at very different price points. The GES is 1500, the BHSE is more like 5000 and the KGSS is close to 2300.

However, it seems to be a consensus that the BHSE and WES are considered some of the top amps for these cans.

Mar 16, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #5 of 10
You didn't need to make this thread. This is one of the most commonly talked about topics. Search the various Stax threads and there will be plenty of info about this there. I know that some of the more massive threads are a pain to read though but this literally gets asked pretty much constantly.

If you can afford the Blue Hawaii, go for that. Otherwise, KGSS. The O2 wants power more than anything, and if you don't power it adequately it will sound dark and the bass will be loose. But be advised that these amps are basically from the "straight wire with gain" school and if you want a euphonic sounding rig, get a euphonic sounding source.

Apr 1, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #7 of 10
I just picked up a 007 mk I and the KGSS. I think my dynamics will not receive much playtime anymore. Running through my dac, I'm getting much more bass than I did with the PS-1, or any other phone I had. Time will tell what my impressions will be, but I'm glad I made the switch to stats and the KGSS.

Apr 2, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
Grats on the set!  I noticed the kgss has black knobs :O

Thanks! I like the look a lot, this is my second HeadAmp amp, and it reminds me why I miss my Gilmore Lite. I tried to A/B with the SDS, but I was just too glued to the O2 that I didn't want to take them off
o2smile.gif
I just got the LCD-2 in yesterday, so I suppose I'll have to listen to them for the first time :wink:

...maybe after I get back from skiing

Apr 5, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
Still wondering which which I should get. It's between the GES and KGSS. Has anyone had experience with both?

In my opinion, if you want to go tubes with the O2 you need to go whole hog, that means BHSE, WES, or possibly Ray's A-10. Haven't heard that one. Some have had good results with the GES and O2s, but that combo isn't for me. The GES also loses its price advantage to the KGSS once you start upgrading it.

There is also an upgraded version of the KGSS called the HV (not to be confused with the discontinued KGSS-DX). As of now the HV is DIY, but eventually there should be a commercially available version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back