Best amp to go with ie80?
Apr 15, 2012 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

kellj

Head-Fier
I've bought an ie80 recently and it sounds really great .
But I still want its mids and sound stage to be bit more better.
So which amp should I get to do this?( I am using ipc at the moment)
budget up to usd :400
but the cheaper the better :)
Thanks 

Apr 16, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #2 of 12
Most of the time the soundstage is a characteristic of the headphone, not the amp. Unless there is some crosstalk that can narrow the soundstage. Have you tried without the amp? If that shows any changes you might need to change the amp.

Apr 16, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #3 of 12
actually i am fine with the sound stage , but just wondering can any amp improve it .
But other than sound stage , mid and bit more detail are the things I want it to be improved the most.
I am considering alo the national , is it a good choice? 

Apr 16, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #5 of 12
The differences by the amp are subtle, as said by the previous commenter. If you're looking for major changes, you might want to get headphones that actually favor the mids and highs.

Apr 17, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #8 of 12
If you don't need a DAC, the JDS C421 is great. Not as portable, Total Bithead is amazing for the $ and has a USB DAC.

Agree on the first sentence, Strongly disagree on the second.

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #9 of 12
The IE80 already has a massive soundstage for an IEM, but I think you may be looking for something with better clarity. I think the Atrio M5 would do the trick, it sounds faster, leaner, and has more treble emphasis.  However, it does lose out in soundstaging and ergonomics (cable stiffens up over time and is not replaceable, stock biflanges can be uncomfortable for certain ear types). 

I do have a XM6 on the way, so I will try running the IE80 out of it and see how it does with a better source and amp. My usual source for iems is a Clip+ with 320kbps mp3s.

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #11 of 12
Try out different tips to get the best fit, or you can go for comply tips.
IEMs need good isolation to perform well, and can make huge differences if the seal is not correct.

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #12 of 12
It's a very shallow fit iem. The stock silicone tips are really comfortable, but have zero isolation because they are not stiff at all. I find that the included foams make the sound too dark for my tastes, so I use Sony hybrids or Monster gel tips on mine. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back