Best amp to drive 501's ?
Apr 12, 2007 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

will hagen

New Head-Fier
My Creek OBH11 even with a custom power supply (24 volt, 1.2 amps) still
barely drives my 501's from the tuner and breaks up horribly at 2 o'clock
pos. when using the CD player. It's only taking about 60mAmps max. I have gotten it up from 45 mA and it's beginning to sound better. It's a 20 year
old ADCOM-GCD575.

Apr 12, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 9
I'm listening to K501s playing a Mozart piano concerto (K503 Uchida) using a Headphonia 3 switch amp. The volume control is at 10 o'clock and it will play loud enough to kill my ears but I NEVER do this. The Headphonia amp with the K501s is a marriage made in heaven -too bad it's no longer PC to say this.

Apr 13, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #5 of 9
The Heed CanAmp drives my k501s extreamly well without breaking up or distortion far above safe listening levels with its pot turned to the 2 o'clock position. However, when I do want to listen to them loudly the position @ 12 o'clock is flat out rocking. Its warmer signature is a plus with the k501s as well as its predigous lower register bias, in those regards rivaling my Mapletrees presentation .

But do try a newer source first to determine without measurement the output feeding into you amp is not the problem.

P.S. isn't 200mw or mv , usual output from most home sources, or even 220mw / mv ?

Good luck~

Apr 13, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #6 of 9
Whether it is the best I can't say, since I've only heard that many amps, but M^3 drives 501s effortlessly - and with good results I might add.
wink.gif
I'm very pleased with this combo and do not plan on any upgrades in foreseeable future. I've read another discussion regarding amps for 501s a while ago and a a number of people recommended Gilmore Lite.

Apr 13, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #7 of 9
The loudest I've ever gone on my LDII+ with my K501 is 11:00, and that's with classical. The standard rock / pop tracks are almost too loud at 9:00. Sounds great too! A pretty good budget alternative, even the eBay ads for the LDII+ have the K501 in the pic.

Apr 13, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #8 of 9
I don't think the ld2++ has enough power to drive the current-hungry K501. IMO, it needs a VERY large powerhouse to drive it. Don't let its 120ohm resistance fool you, I feel both the ld2++ and the headfive were not suffice to properly drive the 501. It wasnt only until i inserted it into my 20lb Marantz integrated receiver with an incredibly warm headphone out was it able to shine like something i've never experienced.

Apr 13, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #9 of 9
I like the sound of the SOHA with my 501s... alot!....after listening to both solid state and tube, I can say now that I may prefer the latter.... possibly even moreso than my maxed out pimeta(the soha is very very basic...although i do have a nice Mullard tube in there!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back