best amp to bring the bass out of akg k701
May 17, 2009 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

boidos

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I am using akg k701 headphones.. I looking to get a new amp for it as I cant get no satisfaction from its bass response. Do I need to go back to sennheiser hd650's or is there a amp that will "bring out" the bass of the akg k701's???

I am using a darkvoice 336i at the momeny that sounds lovely but doesnt do much for the bass...

thanks!!!

May 17, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #2 of 33
I know that there have been some reviews with the K701 and the Purity Audio KICAS/Caliente which claim to have great synergy especially in the bass department. While it won't "add" bass like a Fiio E5 would (similiar to boosting an equalizier), it'll certainly make the bass feel more impactful and controlled (coming from my experiences with a K501).

I'm not familiar with the Darkvoice, but have you considered tube-rolling?

May 17, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 33
while its true you can bring out some warmth and energy in k701 with c2c or caliente you will not earn much bass extension or impact. Ive tried virtually everything to make k701 sound more like my d7000 and it just wont happen. so if you are really looking for bass without loss of good mids sell the k701 and get d7000
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #5 of 33
Try a M3^3 with the variable bass boost. That will add some, but you still aren't going to change the character of the K-701. Solid state tends to be tighter down low than tubes are, so it is the best choice for what you're looking for.

You might also want to try a graphic equalizer to boost the low end, but keep in mind that EQ introduces a bunch of other considerations, too.

Tuberolling is unlikely to help much. What that does is slightly tweak the response curve of the tube. Audible, yes, but it won't change the amp's topology, output impedance, or anything else that will make a difference.

May 17, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #8 of 33
To me, EF1, K701, and Foobar EQ with little bass boost = perfection.

May 17, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #10 of 33
Rudistor RPX-33 does a good job bringing out the bass in 701. But it still would not turn it to a rock/house/beat phone - its mid bass quantity (as oppose to quality) is simply not enough for that genre, it is an open phone afterall. Very good deep bass though. If you are looking for serious bass, you will need a close phone.

May 17, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #11 of 33
I have an M^3 with variable bass boost. I really like that knob. Purists will say I'm adding colorization and that I should stick with a flat response. The problem is that all recordings are not equal. Some are engineered specifically to emphasize pounding bass. Others are not. Any fixed setting will mean that some recordings sound "just right" while others are either providing too much or too little. I have some recordings where I turn the knob all the way up; others for which I cut back to 12 o'clock; still others for which I turn the knob all the way down.

I like having the power to adjust and compensate. While I understand the purist desire to have the recording as is - with no artificial enhancements - in the end, it's the sound that matters. That knob lets me get the sound I'm looking for.

I also like the ability to roll opamps. The opa627bp has a classic refined sound, but it's not the fastest chip in the drawer. I like the detail of AD chips. Some people consider them too edgy. A lot of folks grit their teeth when listening to the AD823 but, for some reason, I like it. I also like the AD825, the AD843, the AD8065/8066 and the AD8597/8599. The latter chip really gets my blood pumping. Don't ask me why.

Jun 3, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #15 of 33
How about using the bass boot of the Lisa III?

The bass boot does have some effects. I'm not a basshead and I use K701 with the Lisa III. So take this with a grain of salt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back