Best AMP SS or tube for $2,000 or less
May 17, 2008 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

tunes

Headphoneus Supremus
I am searching for head phone amp in the $2,000 range to be used with GS-1000 and UE9

So far have narrowed it down to:

1. Zana Deux

2. MPX3 with mods

3. Mapletree Ear + Purist HD with Mods

4. SLAM PPX3

5. Yamamoto HA-02

6. Woo Audi 6

7. Singlepower Extreme

8. NX-02 Sistema by Rudistor

9. Blue Circle Audio SBH

Any help here appreciated.

May 17, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #2 of 11
Beta22.....and by a good margin. IMHO

May 17, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #3 of 11
Who has heard all of these to compare? Anyone? I have seen a comparison of the Zana Deux to the Yamamoto and the Zana >> HA-02 but at twice the price.

Such a comparison would be nice but much harder to do compared with portables or lower price tube amps.

May 17, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #5 of 11
You need to determine a number of factors:
- do you have a preference for SS or tube?
- do you want to have a balanced amp for possible use in the future (balancing the headphones) or will it be permanently SE?
- what type of music do you listen to? Or perhaps more to the point, what type of presentation do you prefer?
- In terms to the above, such questions arise as: do you like a laid back of upfront musical presentation? Do you prefer brighter or warmer sound? Would you forego some detail (and neutrality) for lushness and more body? Do you prefer deeper, fuller bass or less, but tauter and more tuneful bass?
- do you mind a DIY (e.g., Beta22) or do you want something off-the-shelf?
- etc. etc. etc.
biggrin.gif

Sorry for the multiple questions, but I think it is worth taking the time to answer those so you can hone in on what it is you are after. If you are dropping $2k, you want it to be right 1st time
wink.gif

May 17, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #6 of 11
so have you tried any of these badboys with your phones?

May 17, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #8 of 11
All of those amps have different presentations. At this price level, it's not so much "better" than it is "different." All of them will do their jobs well and sound good, but some will be better suited to your headphones, music and listening tastes.

Instead of going head-to-head with these, start digging into threads on them. Look for people with the same headphones you have and similar musical tastes. Do they like what they hear? How do they feel about other amps they've owned/heard? It'll take some time, but you'll find plenty of that in the threads here. Besides, if you're going to spend a couple thousand, you should do some homework.

Another option is a custom build. Look at the DIY Forum and the library at Headwize. If something really catches your eye, you can have someone custom build the amp of your choice. $2,000 would cover the parts and labor on some really, really nice DIY models.

May 17, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #9 of 11
I agree with almost all mates replying here. I don't know the B-22, so I can't know if it's the best of the bunch as someone said. Just reticent to agree so.

I think that it mostly depends on which is you approach to your amp's purchase.
If you want something versatile which allows you to try as many cans as you might wish to, being sure you won't run short of power and having a sensible amount of neutrallity, I'd go for a SS amp with balanced outputs. Maybe the B-22, Rudistor NX-33 balanced, GS-X, RS-Apache, etc.

If you already know which are your cans for the rest of your life and you'll keep the Ed 9 forever, then taking the most profit of them is your priority. You'll need to investigate and do your homework trying your HPs with as many amps as you can. Any of those or maybe a more affordable one is what you're looking for, but not me, nor anyone else in this site will be able to know what will please you most.

Rgrds

May 17, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #10 of 11
The best sound that I have ever gotten out of the UE-9 was the Rudistor RPX-100, but the 9's should be balanced.

The SinglePower Extreem really did make my standard cable GS-1000 sing. Much more than enything else on the list.

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back