Best Amp made by Stax for Omega II
Apr 8, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #47 of 75
Having built quite a few KGSS amps (two of which with the Headamp boards) I must say it is one of the most simple amps you can build. If you're soldering technique is adequate, you put all the right parts in the right place and insulate the heatsinks from the board then it just works. No matching is really necessary but it is of course better.

Apr 8, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #48 of 75
In my very limited experience with O2 and stax amps I can say that the eXStata is better suited for the SR-404LE, ESP950 and from other accounts, for the HE60.
I believe in expressing honest opinions of gear regardless of who designed or built it. If I like it I will say so.
I personally think that the O2 has better synergy with an SRM-717 over an eXStata, at least the proto version of the eXStata. I haven't heard the O2 with the updated eXStata, though I have got feedback that it still isn't up to the mark. That is, compared to a high end transformer box plus even higher end (upwards of $20000) SET amp.

That said, the design of the eXStata more than satisfies its purpose.

I have no interest in electrostat headphone listening anymore whatsoever, so do take my words with a large grain of salt.

Apr 8, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #49 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no interest in electrostat headphone listening anymore whatsoever, so do take my words with a large grain of salt.

!?!?!?!?!?!

Once you go 'stat, you never go back!!!

Apr 8, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #50 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
!?!?!?!?!?!

Once you go 'stat, you never go back!!!

So the saying goes
wink.gif
..I have built several eXStatas, owned an SRM-1Mk2, ESP950, Lambda Pros, heard the 404, O2 and a few other stats i can't rememebr the model nos of.

But my Smeggy made Fostex woody thunderpant orthos+stacker 2 amp (can't stress on the importance of world class amp) just destroys stats..it suits me a whole lot better. IMVHO of course, but I know am not alone in this assessment.
tongue.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #52 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robot Metal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to say you've gotten me interested in the Thunderpants. (with the help of Google)
tongue_smile.gif
Are there directions on how to convert a T50RP into one of these?

haha..don't want to derail the thread..but here's a starting point

post your questions over in the great ortho thread cause most of us orthoheads really only hang out there.

Apr 8, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #53 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having built quite a few KGSS amps (two of which with the Headamp boards) I must say it is one of the most simple amps you can build. If you're soldering technique is adequate, you put all the right parts in the right place and insulate the heatsinks from the board then it just works. No matching is really necessary but it is of course better.

Can you still buy all the right transistors?

Apr 8, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #54 of 75
Yup. The 2SK389 dual input transistors have been discontinued but the LSK389 is the same design in a different package (you just have to bend the legs for it to fit). You could also use matched pairs of 2SK170 which is the same transistor but only a single unit in a TO92 package.

Apr 8, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #55 of 75
How much performance would you give up to the BHSE with à really really good amp paired with a really good transformer if you were using the O2s

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #58 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by wink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a BOM for the KGSS?

I have one on my computer somewhere. Send me an PM.

Additionally, has anyone redone the power supply on the KGSS? I know there was some talk recently.

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #59 of 75
There are high res pictures of the KGSS boards out there which are easy to make a BOM from. All resistors are RN60 Vishay's except the higher wattage units for which you can use what ever fits the budget. The rest is easy to figure out.

The T2DIY supply will be adapted to a higher voltage version of the KGSS design and it is in the works. Other projects are taking precedence for now (TOTL preamp design to name one) but it will be done.

Apr 10, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #60 of 75
I've given in and bought a KGSS board set. I'll add this to my list of projects to do this year. When I build it, I'll possibly start a DIY thread so people can work together to get get a BOM etc done, though going by the markings I've seen on the boards, it doesn't look all that hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back